Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bosnian female sniper

Default bosnian female sniper

some years ago i read an article on a famous bosnian girl who became famous during the defense of Sarajevo as a sniper. she was an olimpic (?) carabine shooter before the war. Can't retrieve any pic or info from web, anyone knows more details and post pics? Tks

Is this the girl ?

Nadia, age 22 (when pic taken) Sarajevo.

There is no Pic....

I think there also was a story of two snipers challenging each other in the city of Sarajevo. One fighting for the Bosnian army (ABiH) the other one for the Bosnian Serb army (BSA).

They had been civilian competition sharpshooters before the war and personal friends.
    The one fighting for the BSA was shooting at the civilian population walking in the streets, he had a gun with a distinctive sound, which the other guy knew very well. So a chase started much like in the movie “Enemy at the Gates”.

I think the Bosnian sniper came out as the winner killing the other one.

Can any of you from Bosnia confirm this story? Its 7-8 years since I read it…..

the article i read might be on "COLOURS" the Benetton magazine...many years ago. i say MIGHT. It was about a girl, which before the war was a sporting shooters. She was famous. I think if any bosnian in here should know her story...

Kinda like that movie about the russian and german sniper that was either true or just propaganda?

dunno, but was damn good movie.
    I'd suggest you all a really underrated movie about yugoslav war, called SAVIOR...a smash in your face

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/sniperr.jpg

If te pic does not show PM me and I'll email it toyou.

The pic is hosted on 2and2 net.

The story about the Russian and German was true, however the Hollywood execs took some MAJOR liberties in writing the script. The movie "Enemy at the Gates" was about a duel between Vasili Zaitsev and Major Konig during the Axis seige of Stalingrad. You should read some books about it....good reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Malarky
    The story about the Russian and German was true, however the Hollywood execs took some MAJOR liberties in writing the script. The movie "Enemy at the Gates" was about a duel between Vasili Zaitsev and Major Konig during the Axis seige of Stalingrad. You should read some books about it....good reading.
    while vasily zaitsev was in fact real there is some debate as to whether konig was actually a real person oh yea FYI the movie was not a hollywood project it was made by a French film company...

There is great debate over wether the legendary WWII German sniper that was sent to Stalingrad to dispatch of Vasili Zaitzev was Konig, Thorvald, or even wether he existed at all. In fact in the actual Soviet war records, it originally showed up as a Maj. Erwin Konig, which is in fact a very basic and plain German Name at the time. In Vasili Zaitsev's war memoirs, he later refers to him as Heinz Thorvald, which was yet another popular German name in that time period. Thorvald seems to be the name that is used more now, and its confusing as to which it was, and if they were the same person, or one was a mistake, or wether the German Super Sniper was fabricated by the Soviet press to represent the German army, or German snipers on a "whole", and that the story was just a means of providing morale for the Soviet troops. The two names are on official Soviet war records, but there is no record of either name in the German record books (not to say they couldn't have removed the name to save grace). Any way you look at it, its confusing and debatable. Since both names appear in Soviet propaganda and war records, Konig in early war records and Thorvald in Zaitsevs memoirs and in later war records, I have included them both on the list until there is concrete proof that one or the other, or both, did not exist.
    In regards to Vasili Zaitsev, there is no doubt he existed, and was a very accomplished and successful sniper
    http://www.snipercentral.com/konig.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vidar
    I think there also was a story of two snipers challenging each other in the city of Sarajevo. One fighting for the Bosnian army (ABiH) the other one for the Bosnian Serb army (BSA).

They had been civilian competition sharpshooters before the war and personal friends.
    The one fighting for the BSA was shooting at the civilian population walking in the streets, he had a gun with a distinctive sound, which the other guy knew very well. So a chase started much like in the movie “Enemy at the Gates”.

I found a link to some information
    http://vincentperez.com/shot.html

Looks like they have made a film based on the story......

I found a link to some information
    http://vincentperez.com/shot.html

Looks like they have made a film based on the story......
    Yea i remember seeing that movie on HBO here in the states

The story is facinating......
    Ronin 2172 Is the film a good one?

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...666965,00.html

It's springtime in Sarajevo, and everything seems as peaceful as it was eight years earlier, when the world tuned in to watch the 1984 Winter Olympic Games. Best friends Vlado [Linus Roache] and Slavko [Vincent Perez] are en route to Vlado's country house, where they will join Vlado's wife Maida [Lia Williams] young daughter Nadja [Karianne Henderson], as well as another close friend, Misho [Adam Kotz] and his family. As they indulge in their favorite pastime, long-distance shooting from a minimum of 100 meters, it seems like old times for these former teammates on the Yugoslavian Shooting Team.

On their way back to the city, the family is shaken as several soldiers appear on the road, demanding to see Vlado's papers. Insulted, Vlado flatly refuses and drives off, but a third soldier is pointing his rifle at their windshield. Slavko confidently takes control as he gets out of the car, identifies himself as a Serbian and plants some money into the soldier's hand.The next morning, there are news reports that Radavan Karadzic, the new leader of the Bosnian Serbs, has announced the creation of a new Serbian Republic of Bosnia. Although the television news is reporting that there have been unprovoked attacks by Serbians on Muslims in the countryside, Vlado refuses to panic, assuring his family that the attacks will not occur in a European city like Sarajevo.

Tension soon escalates, however, and Muslim civilians begin to flee. Gas prices rise, and black marketers are soon exploiting those in need of transportation out of the country. Vlado is ranting angrily about the panic when Slavko comes by for a visit and announces that he has been called up into the Serbian Army. Maida is shocked and angry, and voices her belief that Slavko does not have to go. Seemingly aware of the dangers that are about to surround the city, as well as his Muslim friends, Slavko announces that he can get Vlado and his family out of the city with three plane tickets for an exorbitant amount of money. Maida becomes incensed, accusing Slavko of wanting to profit from the refugees, while Vlado refuses to give up the business where he has worked so hard for the past 15 years.

A few nights later, everything appears still and quiet, but suddenly the windows explode, shattering glass onto their bodies. Amidst the chaos, Vlado and his family run into the street, dodging missiles and explosions. They run to their friend Misho's [Adam Kotz] family. Concerned about Slavko's safety, Vlado races to his apartment only to discover that it has been abandoned. His friend is now a member of the Serbian army. Meanwhile, the news reports that the airport has closed -- Sarajevo is under siege, and civilians are handing out rifles to any man who will take one.

Vlado is hesitant to join a volunteer army and fight the Serbs, but when he sees how little the men seem to know about handling guns, he begins to train them in the rudimentary skills of shooting. A random attack by Serbian soldiers in the hills subsequently forces Vlado to see the violence that is ravaging his city.

He soon gets a surprising call from Slavko, now a Serbian officer behind the front lines. Aware of the dangers ahead in Sarajevo, he offers him one last chance to leave the city via an escape route through the mountains. Vlado agrees that his wife and child should go, but they are unwilling to leave the city without him. "We stay together, Vlado," insists Maida.

Now reporting each day to a bunker in a bullet-strafed building, Vlado is a sharpshooter who must try and defend sniper attacks in Sarajevo. When Misho's young daughter Lejla is shot on the street in front of her house, both families are grief-stricken, but Misho is even more inconsolable because he knows that Vlado had access to an escape route and did not use it to rescue their families. His wife and child grow bitter after the loss of their young friend, and move to a safer part of the city.

As sniper attacks on civilians continue near a local water supply, Vlado carefully studies the murders and determines that the bullets are coming from one specific building. Looking for further clues, Vlado takes the body of a dead woman to Misho at the hospital for an autopsy and makes a painful discovery - the unusual bullet is the unmistakable signature of his friend Slavko.

Staking out the exact source of the gunshots, Vlado's worst fears are confirmed when he sees Slavko, now a Serbian army sniper, enter the building that is the source of enemy fire. A profound moral dilemma now confronts Vlado -- will he continue to allow this sniper to take the lives of innocent civilians, or stalk the sharpshooter who was his best friend and put an end to the madness?

Vlado tracks Slavko to a home on the outskirts of the city. The war has rewarded him with a fine house, good liquor, and even a beautiful girlfriend. They embrace as best friends would, but their eyes betray the inevitability of this last meeting.Tomorrow, one of them will die.

Excellent movie, "Shot Through the Heart" The Bosnian sniper killed the serb sniper after having met with him the night before, as friends.

"Hides In Flame-Proof Bunker".