Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Family History Tales

My great grandmother, had a small drycleaning shop i sourthern part of Jutland, Denmark. She was the lover of an german Staff officer, at the local base. What her lover did not know, that she US and UK downed pilots from the bombing runs over the northof germany.

Grandfarther on my mothers side, he was an infantry soldier, but he was imprisoned after being in a firefight with the german troops, that were advancing up through Jutland.

My step grandfather, he fled Denmark and went to the UK, he inlisted and was sent of to Afrika.

My dad, he spent 4 years in the The Queens Royal Guard, in the MECH INF.

My brother did a tour in the army, ART. M109 Paladins. And then spent 2.5 Years in the Navy, on the inspection frigates in the north atlantic.

My self, well 10 years of active duty in the Navy and Army. In the navy i was a torpedo spec. Later on i went comms. A couple of tours in Kosovo and Macedonia. And alot of tours in the med. with the Navy.

My great cousin was a USMC, but unfortunately he was killed by insurgents in Iraq last year, in an ambush near Bagdad.
    Semper fi, bro, allways in my heart.

My other great cousin is currently an intelligence spec. Were and what unit i don´t know.

Way back i have navy folks in my family, but thats another story.

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gnist
    My great cousin was a USMC, but unfortunately he was killed by insurgents in Iraq last year, in an ambush near Bagdad.
    Semper fi, bro, allways in my heart.
    Sorry to hear that.

Thx Silencer87. He did his duty as a good marine. And i just hope that the sacrifice made by all the troops will bring peace and a free world to this earth.

I am very proud of my family's military history. My great-grandfather enlisted in the AIF on his 18th birthday, August 1916, and was put in the 60th Battalion. He fought on the Western Front, and the highlight of his service was being involved in the liberation of Villers-Bretonneux. I have his war medals in front of me, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. He is the only relative I know of who was in WW1, I do not know much about my older ancestors.
    One of my grandfathers was in the navy during WW2 and was stationed at Port Moresby in PNG during the fighting there. He told me how he and his mates were lined up on the beach with their rifles being yelled at by an officer who insisted that they would stop the Japanese Army right there and then. He told me he was scared stiff as the Japanese were advancing down the Kokoda Track towards Port Moresby. He has the 1939-1945 Star, the Pacific Star, the 1939/45 War Medal the Australian Service Medal.
    My Uncle was in 53 Anti Aircraft Company during WW2. I am currently awaiting his service record to come through from the National Archives of Australia. I think he served in Africa before coming back to the Pacific, although I am not sure. The RSL took away his medals, unfortunately. The records should be coming through any day now.
    My other Grandfather was in the Pommish Army and a tank crewman, I think he was the driver. They landed the day after D-Day. He told me that a Canuck tank fired on them and killed one of the blokes with him. He was the second tank in the collumn, and him and the tank in front of him sped off in front of everybody because they wanted to be the first to reach Paris. Suddenly they realised that there were German patrols everywhere and that they were on their own. They hid the tanks in one of those enourmous hedges and waited for the rest of their mates to catch up. They never did come. So after surviving for a week they were eventually starved out (they were afraid to ask the local farmers for help for fear of betrayal) and had to strike out on their own. They burned the tanks so the Germans couldn't have them but one of the men was overcome by the fumes while getting out of the tank and died in the fire. They left their weapons behind as they knew they would loose a firefight (being a party of just a few men) and this way they hoped they wouldn't be killed if they got captured. So after wandering around a bit they ran into a German patrol and they surrendered. The thing is, the Germans were more scared of them as they were of the Germans! But they were taken POW and spent the rest of the war as POWs. I don't know where or when, he doesn't speak of that time.

Had a distant relative who fought in the Civil War. His name was Joseph Hooker and fought under the Union.

Other than that, I have an uncle who fought in Vietnam in the Quang-Tri province. I don't know if he did any actual fighting, but he doesn't like to talk about it and I leave it at that.

Oh forgot... My cousin works in the NSA and my uncle used to be in the Navy during the mid-90s.

My father served in the US Army during the Korean War, he didn't talk much about it but I know he was wounded near the Chosin Reservoir. He would tell me how unsettling it was to hear the Chinese blowing bugles prior to an attack. Later he also served in the USAF and I know he was based at Thule, Greenland.

My younger brother also served in the US Army as did I.

My parents are both retired from the Army. Two uncles were in the airforce. One of them was a FAC in Vietnam. I have a cousin who spent almost a year in Iraq with the 1st Cav, and a brother in law who was there for 15 months with the 1st AD. Now he's in the process of becoming a Special Forces officer.
    I enlisted in the USMC in 1993 and was on active duty thru 1997. Now I work for a PMC in direct support of the U.S. Gov't in Afghanistan.
    Last edited by James; 03-31-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Moms side:
    Father-
    Joined the Royal Canadian Engineers in 1939, served in the 10th division Overseas Contsruction Coy. Basicaly digging trenches, building railways etc.. Served until 1945, left the army and became a carpenter and lost 2 fingers, Died in 1962. My mom was 4 at the time.

Mother-
    Born in Scottland, and left for England in WW2 to be a nurse. While in England there was a bombing raid done overnight and the next morning when they went to see the damage outside her apartment building they found an unexploded bomb sitting in the courtyard.

Anywho, they met in England, then came back to Canada after the war to start a family etc..

Dads side:
    Grandpa-
    Joined the Winnipeg Grenadiers and was shipped off to defend Hong Kong in 1939. Was held as a POW by the Japanese for 4 years. Was rescued by the USMC in 1944.

Uncle (grandpas son)-
    Joined the RCAF in WW2 and wanted to be a pilot, btu couldnt see well enough. Decided to be a door gunner, but was to big. SO he joined the logistics and bought and sold stuff for the Air Force.

Well I just talked to my moms mom about that side of the family so here goes...

My granpa fought against the nazis in serbia (not a chetnik so dont flame me) until he and his wife were forced to leave when Tito started cracking down. My uncle and his family stayed behind and lived through the communist period, but when he was called up to fight in Slobo's army they fled to Greece and moved back after things settled down; now he's enjoying a pretty slack career as a paratrooper (lots of training and partying).
    Probably the most interesting story was my great-grandfathers, he fought on the Tsars side (teh whites) during the red revolution. Eventually, he realized that his side was going to lose, but he was committed to not giving up. He told his wife and 2 kids to leave and find a new home, and he stayed behind to fight. Noone heard from him again, and he was 18. RIP

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scagel
    Well I just talked to my moms mom about that side of the family so here goes...

My granpa fought against the nazis in serbia (not a chetnik so dont flame me) until he and his wife were forced to leave when Tito started cracking down. My uncle and his family stayed behind and lived through the communist period, but when he was called up to fight in Slobo's army they fled to Greece and moved back after things settled down; now he's enjoying a pretty slack career as a paratrooper (lots of training and partying).
    Probably the most interesting story was my great-grandfathers, he fought on the Tsars side (teh whites) during the red revolution. Eventually, he realized that his side was going to lose, but he was committed to not giving up. He told his wife and 2 kids to leave and find a new home, and he stayed behind to fight. Noone heard from him again, and he was 18. RIP
    Wow, intriguing. Salute.

My grandparents were too young to fight when spanish civil war started but their brothers (all of them are still alive ) fought for the republican side. They are from Valladolid and Palencia , in the northern half of spain , and Valladolid was one of the strongholds of the fascist forces so they moved to Catalonia to defend Barcelona.
    When the war finished all of them but two were captured by the fascists and after spending betweeen 2 and 10 years in prison they returned to civilian life in Spain. Of the two who weren't captured , one of them went to the soviet union in one of the ships the USSR used to rescue republicans and fought his fellow countrymen (again) of Blue Division. He returned safely from the USSR and now lives in Geelong (Australia). The other one went to France and enlinsted Legion Étrangere and fought the nazis in Africa. After the war he moved to Switzerland and never returned to Spain (except during holidays or special events like weddings).

I don't know much about them , personally i've seen them no more than 10 times and always for a short time.

My mom's dad did his military service in artillery near Valladolid. He told me lots of stories about German 88s (he was a loader ). Next time i visit my grandmom i'll aske her for his photos. He passed away in 2000 and i'll never forget him.

My other grandfather did his military service in Tetuán (spanish city in spanish morocco, now belongs to morocco) and returned to Spain but when the Spanish Moroccan war started in 1956 he was sent to Sidi Ifni. He was there but never saw action.

About my norwegian family (3 generations back ) i have no idea of their military past.

Banned user

I have a relative who fought in the Boer war.

Grandfather SIB Maritime WW2 in Papua.

Dad Nasho then enlisted.

Oh and my grandfather was a lcpl yet had rank on his shoulder and carried (and took home) a pistol. Something sus there.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Me: Brigada de Montaña- Mountain Brigade (Reserve). I also worked with SOUTHCOM for 3 years as a civilian contractor. I also saw front row action during Just Cause (and have the pics, that someday i will post here)

My father: Combat engineer Lt., served in the Spanish Sahara.
    My uncle: served in the navy

My paternal grandfather: Captain in the Infantry. Fought for the nationalists on the Spanish Civil War.

My Maternal grandfather: Fought with the republicans in the Spanish Civil War.

My great great grandfather: Fought in the carlistas wars. He was one of the ministers for Carlos.

I also have a 500 yrs old relative who was part of an order (I will have my family tree to see which one)

Water Curtain Cave on Flower Fruit Mountain

Japanese side of my family have root in the Takeda clan back, back in feudal Japan, an uncle who was an Imperial guards during World War II and a cousin who is currently carrying on that tradition. My Vietnamese family root fought the Mongols, the Chinese, the Japanese and my paternal grandfather fought with the Viet Minh against the French. Now when Viet Minh, well, now they are the Viet Cong, came back and as my grandfather to allow my dad, his oldest son, to fight with them against the American, my grandfather took out his AK-47 and chased them away. My dad eventually became company commander with ARVN, one uncle who flew the A-37 Dragonfly for the South Vietnamese Air Force (he still has his graduation certificate, trained in Texas) and another uncle who died in service with the South Vietnamese Navy. My uncle in the Air Force managed to escape to the U.S. in 75's when South Vietnam failed. My dad tried three times to escape, but no luck and was sent to "re-education" camp.

My paternal grandfather was in the Navy in WWII. My fathers stepfather (has been married to my grandmother for sum 35 years) was in the Marine Corps for 21 years. After leaving his job as a Texas State Trooper he joined the Corp in '65. He served 4 tours in Vietnam from '65 to '69. After leaving the Corp he worked with the CIA, DIA, and a few other alphabet agencies. He recently retired from Governement service and returned to Texas from the Pentagon.

My fathers brother was also a Marine who was an aircraft mechanic on a carrier in '74-'75.

Also my father-in-law was in the Corp in Vietnam '72-'73. He was a USMC liason to the ROK Marines there.

The only family member I have currently is my brother-in-law who is in the Air Force. He has been to Iraq, Oman, and Uzbekistan.