Page 8 of 242 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Military 'Art'...

I hate this bulldog, regards Johnnycab SOG's Avatar

yah a bit. its actually for a table top minitaure rpg ala space marines. it is currently shelved while i tackle some minor freelance in addition to my job. i need to design about 100 suits of future armor plus all the other various types of personell. although i think unlike the star ship trooper armor this is not mechanical assisted (not sure if that heavier star ship trooper armor was or not, ive seen pictures of it)

my reasoning for my guy not having mechanically assisted armor is basically, look at medieval times, with that heavy armor a warrior was still able to swing a sword pretty fast and move a bit. (as seen on that gay cancelled show on the history channel) granted he could not run very far etc but that was medieval.

today we could easily make the equivalent full body armor suit out of cutting edge alloys and have it be way lighter than the medieval suit. granted it would cost a pretty penny but then so did the medieval suit.

now picture the guy i drew comes from 200 some odd years in the future. i figure by then in a "elseworld" that his armor doesnt weigh much at all, and he has minimal leg armor. he is basically wearing a future strike plate all over and half helmet mask. i figure him to be wearing 50lbs of armor not including gun and supplies but also he is base supplemented by genetic strength enhancement commonly used by the future militaries. so i figure he is still pretty fast all things considered without mechanical gryo anti grav whatever help.

later on i was going to design the heavy hitters who would be able to take direct heavy munitions from troops and still be alive and moving.

thx for your comment!

Actually, there's no real drawing of how the powered armor from Starship Troopers looks like except for some artists interpretations. According to the book, you basically look like a giant metal gorilla equipped with enough firepower to take on platoons of tanks (self-loading missile launcher aka Y-Rack, nuclear missile launcher, flamethrower, etc.) as well as a jumpjet. The whole concept behind it is extremely advanced and not too farfetched for a book written in 1959 (DARPA has begun development on powered exoskeletons recently). Here's a couple concepts of the armor:

ah cool. i thought you were talking about the same armor in the 3d animated show and also the darkhorse comic. the 3d armor in the show didnt look too hot but the artist for darkhorse did a good job. thats really all over scifi i guess.

I never saw the CGI show, but I heard it was actually pretty good. What's your opinion?

As for the comic version, is that named "Uchuu no Senshi" or something like that? If so, I haven't seen that either but I have seen that version of the powered armor, and it's definitely one of the better interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratamacue
    I never saw the CGI show, but I heard it was actually pretty good. What's your opinion?

As for the comic version, is that named "Uchuu no Senshi" or something like that? If so, I haven't seen that either but I have seen that version of the powered armor, and it's definitely one of the better interpretations.

hmmmm no clue what the comics name was, i know dark horse published it and i think it focued soley on the fully amored troopers.

the cgi focused on a fully suited troop squad although they did not look as heavy as the... well, heavy ones. i think they were fully suited in the way of "exploring a atmosphere" and decent protection rather than suited for kicking ass. they also had a mid size mech tag along with them for support. it was decent in the way it showed you more of the world so its a good companion to the movie. i think the longer it dragged on though it became more like stargate where they would meet some alien species or something every other time. 1st season was fun though.

Nice.
    Did you paint those permskiiOMON?

No ,
    its from a museum

Couldn't resist...

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot1

Couldn't resist...

Marine Force Recon... very rare sketch...

By Pete the Pirate, Navy SEAL. http://www.petethepirate.com/pete1-d.html

Grunwald battle 1410 (poland-lithuania vs teutonic knights
    and mercenaries)

Polish "Ułan" mid 1930's (we cal cavalery regiments "pułk ułanów" in poland)

Olszynka Grochowska battle 1830 (Poland (insurgents) vs Russia

Hetman (something like field marshal) Żułkiewski and polish Husaria (winged cavalery) XVIII century

Polish army ca. 1918 note: russian, fench, german, austrian, polish equipment, those soliders were from diferent armies (we regained independence in 1918) and here you see how dificult it was to create army from solidiers trained in diferent ways, with diferent tactic, usualy comand were issued in other language... but this army one year later stopped Red Army at outskirs of Warsaw and then in succesful counterofensive forced it to retreat and sign in 1921 Ryga peace (mainly on polish terms)

Default Pics

Man, you guys know how to put some stuff together. All of it looks great!

D.