Thread: Ax-attack on elderly Serb couple in Kosovo

Banned user

Default Ax-attack on elderly Serb couple in Kosovo

Monday March 28, 2005
    Elderly Serb couple badly beaten in apparent ax attack in Kosovo

KOSOVSKA MITROVICA, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) - An elderly Serb couple were repeatedly stabbed and beaten with blunt objects Monday, officials said, in an attack that threatened to further inflame tensions between Kosovo's Serb minority and ethnic Albanian majority.

Nedeljko and Nevenka Vucic, 71 and 73, were attacked outside their home in the village of Crkolez, some 50 kilometers northwest of province's capital Pristina, said Aleksandar Bozovic, the doctor at the hospital in Serb-dominated Kosovska Mitrovica, where they were treated.

U.N. police spokesman Larry Miller also confirmed the attack.

The woman's injuries were life threatening and the condition of the man - who was undergoing surgery - was not immediately clear, Bozovic said.

Photos of the badly beaten couple were aired in Serbia's national television.

"Their injuries were inflicted with a sharp object, most probably a knife or an ax,'' Bozovic said. He said they were also beaten with a "blunt object'' on their arms and legs.

The man suffered from concussions, was stabbed around his spine, had his ribs broken and his right ear cut off, Bozovic said. The woman suffered head injuries, concussions and chest fractures, Bozovic added.

The couple lived with another 160 Serbs in the village of Crkolez, which is surrounded by ethnic Albanian villages.

Tensions remain high between ethnic Albanian majority and the remaining Serb minority in the province. The community has been often a target of attacks by ethnic Albanian extremists seeking revenge for the wartime killings by Serb forces.

The province has been administered by the United Nations since mid-1999. International officials have been trying to reconcile the two former foes as part of the deal to move the province to status talks possibly as early as this fall.

Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority wants independence, while Serbs want it to remain part of Serbia-Montenegro.-AP

=========================================

Doctors say they may not survive

I've said it before and I'll probably say it at least a million more times before I die: What the hell is wrong with people? I hope they catch the ****ers responsible and give them a fitting penalty.

If this keeps up theyre not going to get independance, theyre going to get jailed. Theyre not making anyone take them seriously by cutting up old people.

They should go back to their own country if they cannot live peacefully in kosovo.

Banned user

NATO should just pull out, and let the Serbs do what they did in 98/99.

Quote Originally Posted by 4nzix
    that would be just nice..

cammon..cool up a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by 4nzix
    I believe that NATO should stay put in Kosovo but allow Serbian security forces to guard the remaining Serbian enclaves. You simply wouldn't see incidents like this taking place if the MUP or VJ were in position.

Annex 2 point 4 of SC Res. 1244 states that the 'security presence' shall 'establish a safe environment for all people in Kosovo. When NATO and the VJ / MUP co-operated in returning Serbian security forces to the GSZ, region was stabilized. If this strategy worked before, it can work again.