Thread: USMC RoE

Default USMC RoE

Hello all,

As a few of you may know I am working on a USMC addon pack for Operation Flashpoint, now I am infact part of a USMC themed squad to do the best we can to represent them ingame.

We are looking for the standard Rules of Engagement that each Marine has to fight by so we can adapt them to the game and have some kind of rules to follow by.

Thanks in advance
    Safety

Default Re: USMC RoE

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyCatch
    Hello all,

As a few of you may know I am working on a USMC addon pack for Operation Flashpoint, now I am infact part of a USMC themed squad to do the best we can to represent them ingame.

We are looking for the standard Rules of Engagement that each Marine has to fight by so we can adapt them to the game and have some kind of rules to follow by.

Thanks in advance
    Safety
    Others may be able to help you better, but in my opinion, based on my own experience in Exercises using ROE cards(non-USMC)...they are tailored to a particular operational environment, and edited as often as necessary as the security environment evolves for better or for worse.

In general ROE cards are based on a graduated response that is proportional and necessary, using minimum force to effectively respond to a perceived or real threat. For example, you may attempt to first verbally respond to a perceived or real threat. If that fails to achieve the required results it could move to aggressive gesturing like shouting, shouldering/cycling a weapon, aiming, firing a warning shot, using less-than-lethal force, or finally arc-ing him up, etc.

The ones I've used have been credit card sized to fit in a pocket and carried at ALL times, and tend to be very clear and concise in their verbage

Maybe searching Google will turn up old versions of ROE cards...but I think you're unlikely to find anything currently being used operationally in Iraq for example.

Others might be able to provide more background on ROE cards specific to the USMC and how you might be able to replicate one to suit your needs without stirring up any potential controversy....because if "bad guys" have copies of currently used ROE cards it can make the good guys job harder.

Ok thanks, I'll wait for some responses and also have a look on the net in my spare time.

Admins, sorry about putting this in the wrong board

I'm really looking for the RoE of a combat situation, so I guess it falls under squad tactics and commands.
    I think I'll have to look into USMC training or if a Marine/ex Marine, or some one who has a lot of knowledge in this field, would be so kind to come foward and help me come up with a suitable combat RoE for my squad, I would be extremely greatful.

Found this on google, not sure how accurate an example it is. Might give you a general idea.

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for

twice the mass of ordinary hydrogen Deuterium's Avatar

HA stands for Humanatarian Assistance. These are operations like Provide Comfort. If you are modelling handing out MREs or setting up medical clinics then this will work for you.

I have some original 101st ROE cards here somewhere thata buddy sent me. I will see if I can find them.

Ok thanks, all these things will be useful because I can get a general idea of the kind of rules Marines have to go by in the field.

ROEs are different on every operation, an can vary depending on the mission, etc. Also, ROEs are the exact same for all services.

Here's a few from different operations(both armed conflict and peace keeping)

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/JAGCNETInternet/Homepages/AC/CLAMO-Public.nsf/0/1af4860452f962c085256a490049856f/$FILE/Chapter%205%20-%20Rules%20of%20Engagement.htm

DESERT STORM

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

ALL ENEMY MILITARY PERSONNEL AND VEHICLES TRANSPORTING THE ENEMY OR THEIR SUPPLIES MAY BE ENGAGED SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS:

A. Do not engage anyone who has surrendered, is out of battle due to sickness or wounds, is shipwrecked, or is an aircrew member descending by parachute from a disabled aircraft.

B. Avoid harming civilians unless necessary to save U.S. lives. Do not fire into civilian populated areas or buildings which are not defended or being used for military purposes.

C. Hospitals, churches, shrines, schools, museums, national monuments, and other historical or cultural sites will not be engaged except in self defense.

D. Hospitals will be given special protection. Do not engage hospitals unless the enemy uses the hospital to commit acts harmful to U.S. forces, and then only after giving a warning and allowing a reasonable time to expire before engaging, if the tactical situation permits.

E. ****y traps may be used to protect friendly positions or to impede the progress of enemy forces. They may not be used on civilian personal property. They will be recovered and destroyed when the military necessity for their use no longer exists.

F. Looting and the taking of war trophies are prohibited.

G. Avoid harming civilian property unless necessary to save U.S. lives. Do not attack traditional civilian objects, such as houses, unless they are being used by the enemy for military purposes and neutralization assists in mission accomplishment.

H. Treat all civilians and their property with respect and dignity. Before using privately owned property, check to see if publicly owned property can substitute. No requisitioning of civilian property, including vehicles, without permission of a company level commander and without giving a receipt. If an ordering officer can contract the property, then do not requisition it.

I. Treat all prisoners humanely and with respect and dignity.

J. ROE Annex to the OPLAN provides more detail. Conflicts between this card and the OPLAN should be resolved in favor of the OPLAN.

REMEMBER

1. FIGHT ONLY COMBATANTS.

2. ATTACK ONLY MILITARY TARGETS.

3. SPARE CIVILIAN PERSONS AND OBJECTS.

4. RESTRICT DESTRUCTION TO WHAT YOUR MISSION REQUIRES.