Thread: President's hundred , governor's twenty ?

Default President's hundred , governor's twenty ?

I have a question concerning these patches;

What sorts of units or individuals in the US armed forces are authorised to wear these sorts of shoulder tabs ? And what is the deeper meaning behind these slogans here ? Many thanks in advance !

If I recall, the President's 100 are some of the best target shooters in the Army, I would guess that the other patch is the same on a smaller scale.

I'll stick with my Ranger Tab....

wood pressed up against my cheek

The National Rifle Association's (NRA) President's Match was instituted at the NRA matches of 1878, as the American Military Rifle Championship Match. It was patterned after an event for British Volunteers called the Queen's Match, which the National Rifle Association of Great Britain had initiated in 1860.

In 1884, the name was changed to the President's Match for the Military Rifle Championship of the United States. It was fired at Creedmor, New York until 1891. In 1895, it was reintroduced at Sea Girt, New Jersey.

The tradition of making a letter from the President of the United States the first prize began in 1904 when President Theodore Roosevelt, at the conclusion of the President's Match, personally wrote a letter of congratulations to the winner, Private Howard Gensch of the 1st Regiment of Infantry of the New Jersey National Guard.

It cannot be ascertained as to when the President's Match was discontinued; however, it is known that it was not fired during World Wars I and II. It appears to have disappeared during the 1930s and during the depression when lack of funds severely curtailed the holding of matches of importance.

The President's Match was reinstated in 1957 at the National Matches as "The President's Hundred." The top-scoring 100 competitors in the President's Match were singled out for special recognition in a retreat ceremony in which they passed in review before the winner and former winners of this historic match.

On 27 May 1958, The National Rifle Association requested the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel's approval of a tab for presentation to each member of the "President's Hundred." NRA's plan was to award the cloth tab together with a metal tab during the 1958 National Matches. The cloth tab was of high level interest and approved for wear on the uniform on 3 March 1958. The first awards were made at Camp Perry, Ohio, in early September 1958. The metal tab was never officially authorized for wear on the uniform by military personnel. However, the NRA issued the metal tab to military personnel for wear on the shooting jacket.

Thanks for the answers everyone , this clears it up !

idiot savant with a ban stick

Governors Twenty is (obviously) a state level competition. Most soldiers awarded are National Guardsmen.

Governor's Twenty is a state shooting award. Texas issues them to the top 20 shooters in the state for that year. 8 Rifle, 8 Pistol, 2 Sniper, and 2 Machinegun. 2 or 3 other states have the award as well, but I'm not sure which ones.

Quote Originally Posted by WARPIG
    Governors Twenty is (obviously) a state level competition. Most soldiers awarded are National Guardsmen.
    It's a LEO award not NG

http://www.nrahq.org/law/competitions/gov20.asp

IT IS A NG award as well, cause I missed getting one by about 15 points. Texas Guard, both AIR and ARMY Guard are authorized to wear the award. I think Arkansas has the award for their National Guard too.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebox
    I'll stick with my Ranger Tab....
    Aww come on, you see Ranger tabs all the time!

But the President's 100!? More rare then hen's teeth without everyone fighting for "slots"!

I was a pretty good shooter, but not at their level, sigh...

T.