Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: MACV-SOG

heres a few more sog pix
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Unfortunatley, some of the photos on the 1st page Are NOT SOG, but Mike Forces, Delta and Camp Strike Forces.
    thanks
    P

I saw a couple of vanilla LRRPs, as well.

thanks HABU.

Default Macv-sov pics, site recommendations

Greetings all. I'm new and I am former macvsog, and I'm still going to Afghanistan and Iraq. I knew Billy Waugh, Jesse Cambell, MOH winner Fred Zabitoski, MOH winner John Kedenburg, etc. I haven't figured out how to post an Avatar yet or photos, but will make a couple of comments:

-- We didn't wear Tiger *****es in fob-2 Kontum. we wore plain green jungle fatigues with no insignia. I can't speak for the other fob's. Some of those pics, though, don't seem to be macvsog.

-- The best macvsog site is Robert Noe's site www.macvsog.cc. It is not as "pretty" as others but it is the most up-to-date. Visit the "in memorium" site,
    http://macvsog.cc/chronological.htm#...A%20Chronology, which contains detailed descriptions on the death of every macvsog man. Remember, there were about 2,000 men who served on an "RT" in macvsog from 1966-72. 900 were wounded or killed....45% casualty rate.

-- For books, check Robert's book reviews: http://www.macvsog.cc/books.htm

-- Look up Jason Hardy's 1st volume "SOG." Jason is a memorablia collector whom I met at the Presidential Unit Citation (PUC) ceremony at Ft. Bragg in 2002. He is publishing photos of every man who ever served on a RT to try to get around the BS artists. His first volume is excellent and I'm waiting for the volume that has my team in it.

-- Also in the above book section take a look at Steve Sherman's "whose who in macvsog" (or some such). It's the definitive list of personnel who served. But it isn't complete since intel agencies put men there who were never officially recorded as serving,.

-- There is a photo section. Take a look. http://macvsog.cc/photo.htm#Photo%20Gallery

-- There are a few stories: Mine is there: http://macvsog.cc/tales_from_sog.htm#Tales%20from%20SOG

Anyway, I'll post some photos and observations when I figure out how to do it. You'd be surprised how many of us are still "active."
    Last edited by Elfstone44; 11-14-2008 at 03:10 AM.

welcome Elfstone!!

I look forward to your future posting!!

I agree Jason hardy's books are great!!!

I have access to Tilt Meyer's (One-Zero Rt Idaho) photos along with quite a few from FOB-1 and the Green Beret Lounge inside and out. looking forward to your photos, and thanks for your service!!

P

hey Elfstone thanks for the website,not pretty but hella neat!

and on a sidenote,you could insert images by clicking on the Insert Image button.(thats the icon with the mountain)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Poriuncula

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone44 View Post
    Greetings all. I'm new and I am former macvsog, and I'm still going to Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Damn, I'm not nearly as old as you, but I can barely get out of bed. Good on ya!

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    Damn, I'm not nearly as old as you, but I can barely get out of bed. Good on ya!

First of all Elfstone, welcome to the forum.

Chao ong.

Class of '69 3/3/3 Marines.

Clean, hell you need to know the secret, a dozen raw oysters a couple of 22 year hot chicks makes a man a Tyrannosaurus Rex in and out of the rack

Welcome Elfstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Earlier, a picture was posted of MOH winner Jon Cavaiani, MACV SOG, who won his award defending "Leghorn.".[/FONT][/SIZE]
    I had the honor to meet Jon Cavaiani at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA sometime in 1977. I was there for a Russian course and he was there for some language course, I assume. I was just an E-2 at the time and quite awed at the idea of being in the presence of a MOH winner.

Default I'll take age and sneakiness over youth and vigour any time

Well Clean, I am getting on; but can still shoot; and make up for lack of speed with trickness and understanding. Here's pics from Khowst (2008), Herat (2007) and from Ban Don A-233 (1967) (pre-macvsog). We can still contribute:

Khowst, Afghanistan, 2008

Herat, Afghanistan, 2007

Ban Don A/O A-233, January 1967:

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Elfstone welcome to mp.net. Interesting reading. Thanks for staying in the game.

Banned user

Thank you for all the informations, Elfstone. Very interesting to get such "open" background infos like the one with the amphetamines for example. I never heard something about the usage for combat purposes except that pilots did get some for long-time missions but always assumed that something like that must have been available for a few special units.
    Anyways, always interesting to get some first hand infos, thanks a lot and keep it up!