Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Leopard 2 MBT

hehe REMOV!

But we all know it from our american friends that the M1 is the best tank in the entire GALAXY ! Ah, UNIVERSUM

Greetings from Germany

Groove

about that secuity thing. the leopard 2 has several security mechanisms:

1. you can open the driver's hatch only if the turret is at 0600 or 1140 position. the fcs has to be off, otherwise it will shut down when opening the driver's hatch
    2. the fcs can't be switched on when the driver's hatch is open

both can be bypassed by the driver:
    -there is an emergency brake (mechanical) that allows to open the hatch all the time no matter what position the turret is.
    -the natch closing mechanism can be closed even when the hatch is open
    -by releasing a electric fuze (which is also responsible for the light at the driver's position incl. control pannel) the fcs can be switched on even if the hatch is opened and not mechanically bypassed.

oh yes, the turret should be locked if you have the hatch open and drive. it can happen drat you turn too fast and the turret starts moving alone.

regards
    axl

www.kampfpanzer.de

Long time no hear, axl. Welcome back!
    Those problems you mentioned, are they not corrected on the A6?

Somebody else mentioned this, the pointed turret - would'nt it also deflect a round down and into the hull?

i don't mention problems. the point is: the turret should never been moved if the driver's hatch is open. and the germans included some security mechanisms. experienced driver's know how to bypass them, sometimes it is necessary.

the turret material is soft enough that incomming rounds will not bounce off, don't worry. the ignite or move inside.

btw, this picture shows one of the most important improvements of the strv122: they included flexible covers for the turret hatches. you see the one just above the commander's hatch. it protects from rain or dust and is closed with velcro. it is also useful when vovered, as the teo large round holes are nice on air recon pix (you see a bush with two circles...). in the good old days commander's had always one or two umbrella(s) in the tank.

regards
    axl

ps: i haven't been away, just waited the right topic

www.kampfpanzer.de

Default Shot trap

The aforementioned "shot trap" does not apply to modern tanks for two main reasons.
    1) Anti tank rounds have changed in design. Nowadays they are small stabilized high density metal darts used to puncture small holes through the thick armour. In world war 2 for example where early panthers or Tiger 2s had shot traps the ammunition used was a large metal mass with hardend casings for penetration.
    2) The engagement ranges in world war 2 were much reduced to todays ranges due to the lack of gyro stabilized guns, etc.. The further away an engagement takes place, the more drastic of an arc the shell will fly. A recent video of the challenger 2 i saw showed how its shells almost come down directly from top as they land at engagement ranges of >1500m.
    Sorry about any spelling mistakes, but it's friday and I have had a couple beers

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    Yup the germans also invented the space flight and the telefon.
    Not Alexander G. Bell i read it in the newspapers.
    But Tanks were invented by the Brits. And Tank Warfare by the germans.
    Sorry Shadow, but...

The "beheading of the Soviet army" is communist propaganda created to conceal the real facts about the beginning of the war. The reality is that USSR was preparing a "Blitzkrieg" (Or, in Soviet terms, "Deep Operation") against Germans and the rest of Europe, and it was in the final stages of preparation when Germans launched a preemptive strike. The Soviet army found itself in a horrible tactical situation, and that's why there were such losses. Of course, unwillingness of the high command (that is, Stalin) to accept the situation for what it is when the strike began didn't help either.
    Actually, you'll notice that fact shows that the Russian's were in quite a state of unpreparedness at the beginning of Operation Barbarossa, with some units simply not even having all of their allotted tanks and guns, and not all the ones they did have being fully operational. There is also much to suggest that with the slew of possible intelligence and the fear of telling Stalin that the German's were acting fishy, as they pulled out all their technical advisors and began recon overflights. Combined with the complexities of the military food chain, the fortifications and defenses that had been asked for by Soviet field commanders had not been authorized until it was too late, and they were in mid-construction when they were attacked. The simple fact that over 1 million Russians simply surrendered in the opening six weeks shows that they were more than just out maneauvered, they simply had no Command and Control structure of any relevance at the time.

Its not Soviet Propoganda to cover up an impending offensive, its been backed up by scholarly work both past and present, and I've even heard it regurgitated by a Russian born and raised prof on loan to CMU for a year from the University of St. Petersburg, who spoke on a tangent about how he's had to relearn much of what he thought was history, but now he's convinced he's got most of the stories straight. Somehow, I think something like an invasion of Germany would've been something to large to miss if it was being actively planned, not just an item on the drawing board. The Russians in 1940-41 would have been in no position militarily from most statistical accounts to wage the kind of offensive you're talking about.

I will admit that i like how they designed the LeoA6 Turret, but other then that i cant stand our tank is the best in the world bullcrap

LOL

Ah man ... what a work of art. You should auction it.

Nice 1

Quote Originally Posted by Falco
    Ah man ... what a work of art. You should auction it.
    Well i did put a lot of hard work and anger into it :P

Merkava mark 4 > leo2 and M1a1

Take all in humor.

Quote Originally Posted by UoUo
    Merkava mark 4 > leo2 and M1a1

Take all in humor.
    I think this calls for another drawing !!

LOL i would but they dont say there tank is best, i just hate hearing that!, and Javehn would get angry