Thread: Hellenic Armed Forces Photos

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by enallos View Post
    Various photos of HAF, the first three are from an exhibtion for education.

White tabs on the lapels. Is she a cadet???

Yes, and the number on the shoulder tab shows which year she's at

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GREEK-AIRBORNE View Post
    I really love the Ghillie Suit. And the TT Ammunition Vest (expensive to buy though).

Excellent photos.

Banned user

CAN any body pls explain why are these soldier wearing that kind of uniform?

Quote Originally Posted by turkishAMERICAN View Post

CAN any body pls explain why are these soldier wearing that kind of uniform?
    Dear @turkishAMERICAN before asking silly questions you could easily try Google...
    So let me help you
    Here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evzones
    you can read all about the Evzones, the Hellenic Presidential Guard.
    Also here
    http://www.presidency.gr/en/proedr_froura.htm
    THE PRESIDENTIAL GUARD
    The Presidential Guard (Evzones) has a history which stretches over more than a century. It was founded on 12 December 1868 as a combatant and at the same time ceremonial force. Gradually its role became solely ceremonial, as can be seen by its changing names: the Palace Guard, the Flag Guard, the Guard of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Royal Guard and finally, since 1974 and the restoration of democracy, the Presidential Guard.
    The barracks where the Presidential Guard is based has been in the same place since the force was founded. It is situated close to the present Presidential Mansion (formerly the Palace) on Herod Atticus Road and is called after the chieftain and hero of the Revolution of 1821, George Tzavellas.
    Today the Presidential Guard has the following duties:

the deployment of a guard of honour on a round-the-clock basis at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, at the Presidential Mansion and at the gate of the barracks

the official raising and lowering of the flag on the Sacred Rock of the Acropolis

serving as guard of honour to the President of the Republic and to the leaders of foreign countries

serving as guard of honour to the ambassadors of foreign countries while they present their credentials to the President of the Republic
    Participation of the Evzones in national conflicts

The Evzone uniform, as we know it today, was worn by men-at-arms and klephts during the Turkish occupation of Greece (1453-1821), as may be seen in paintings from this period. The Evzone, with the "foustanella" (a kind of kilt) and the "tsarouhi" (rustic shoes with pompoms), became a symbol of the War of Independence. After the Revolution of 1821 the uniform of the Evzone was officially established as the uniform of all chieftains and fighters of the Revolution.

After the Second World War the Evzone Regiments were re-organised and formed into modern infantry units as part of the modernization of the Armed Forces.

The Evzone uniform

The uniform of the Evzones has a long history, which begins with the warriors (evzones) at the time of Homer and culminates in the "foustanella" and "tsarouhi" at the time of the Turkish Occupation. From 1821 onwards the Evzone uniform was established as the official Greek national costume.

The making of the Evzone uniform is not a simple procedure. It requires knowledge and experience on the part of the makers, as well as a great deal of time and expense. The uniforms are completely hand-made. There are two types of uniform: that of the officer and that of the private and each has a summer and a winter version.

The main parts of the Evzone uniform are:

the hat made of red baize with a silk tassel

the shirt, white with very wide sleeves

the waistcoat, hand embroidered with great skill. Various designs of great traditional and folklore importance are embroidered on the waistcoat in white or gilt thread

the kilt (foustanella), made from 30 metres of white material, with 400 pleats, representing the 400 years of the Turkish occupation

the breeches, the long red trousers of the officers and the white woollen stockings of the Evzones

the cartridge belt

the garters, black for the Evzones and blue for the officers.

Apart from the above which are common to both Evzones and officers, there are also

the gaiters, the red boots and the 1821 sabre of the officers, and

the inside garter, which holds the stockings in position, the fringe (blue and white coloured braids, the colours of the Greek flag) and the "tsarouhia", the traditional shoes of the Evzones. The shoes are completely hand-made from hard red leather and each sole has 60 nails. Each pair weighs about three kilos. The toe of the shoe turns up in a point which is covered by a black pompom.
    Apart from the Evzone uniform, the Presidential Guard also wears the Cretan uniform with its characteristic breeches and knife worn in the belt. The Cretan uniform is worn on certain official ceremonial occasions. In this way the Presidential Guard represents not only those who live on the mainland but also the islanders. Thus the Evzone uniform represents the warrior of the mainland, while the Cretan uniform represents the warrior of the Greek islands. Recently the traditional uniform of Pontos has also been added.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

In 1925 Greece decided to build a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, an idea which had first been proposed and implemented by the French after the end of the First World War.

In 1926 a panhellenic competition was announced for a design for a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was to be built in front of the main entrance of the Parliament building, facing Constitution Square.

On 9 October 1926 the Ministry for the Military with ordinance number 219188 awarded the prize to the architect Emmanuel Lazaridis. However the decision to erect the tomb in the afore-mentioned place was delayed as it met with many objections and differing opinions. A new committee was formed in June of 1928 and the Cabinet accepted its proposals. In April 1929 work began and the monument was completed on March of 1932. Its inauguration took place at the time of the National Holiday of the same year.

Here are some pictures of them

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by GREEK-AIRBORNE View Post

The guy on the far right represents the Pontic Greeks i guess. The guy on the far left carries a "Yataghan". What does he represent?

The world's an oppressive place to live through -yet with a little pride it's worth it

Quote Originally Posted by ExInferis View Post
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...IKH_FROURA.jpg
    The guy on the far right represents the Pontic Greeks i guess. The guy on the far left carries a "Yataghan". What does he represent?
    He's a Cretan. He carries a traditional Cretan dagger:

its not a yatagan ,its a cretan dagger.The one on the far left wears a traditional Cretan uniform

edit:valtrex was faster

Default yes

Yes it is the Pontian uniform.....that I know for a fact because I am Greek Pontian . I got my own uniform as well.... I always feel proud wearing it! Just like I'll feel proud when I wear the Greek army uniform. I was born and raised in Canada, but I want to go to the Greek army....it's always been a dream for me......... can someone correct me if im wrong, but is it 3 months army service for Greeks that were born in the diaspora?

Support UNICEF to do some good: http://tinyurl.com/3sl8zb

well I don't know about canada but it is little tricky to serve in a foreign country's military for USA citizens http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_780.html
    so you may want to check with Canadian authorities about their point of view.

My father's side is from Black Sea by the way.

saladin are you a fellow Pontian kardes?

Quote Originally Posted by PontianDesert View Post
    Yes it is the Pontian uniform.....that I know for a fact because I am Greek Pontian . I got my own uniform as well.... I always feel proud wearing it! Just like I'll feel proud when I wear the Greek army uniform. I was born and raised in Canada, but I want to go to the Greek army....it's always been a dream for me......... can someone correct me if im wrong, but is it 3 months army service for Greeks that were born in the diaspora?
    I believe there might have been some changes recently. Some others might know better but I think it's 3 months for those with one parent and 6 months for those with 2 Greek parents. I might be wrong. Also, I think compulsory military service has been reduced to 12 months for all Greeks if I'm right, and I've heard rumours that it might be further reduced. It's a little surprising to me.

Support UNICEF to do some good: http://tinyurl.com/3sl8zb

Quote Originally Posted by chris450 View Post
    saladin are you a fellow Pontian kardes?
    Well, I can tell for sure that my family does not look like typical black-sea people (except perhaps the same short temper and the taste for Hamsi) but who cares I have blood from all over the ottoman empire (including Kirimians, tatars and Oguz Tribes

@PontianDesert,
    My father side is from Of (close to Trabzon) and mother's side is from Adana. Izmir is a nice town, you should visit it at some time.

To relate this message to topic, here is a STANAVFORMED photo.
    Greek sailors present the Greek national flag during the Standing Naval Force Mediterranean (STANAVFORMED) Change of Command Ceremony on 25 September 2003 in Souda Bay, Crete. Netherlands handed over command of STANAVFORMED to Germany which will lead the NATO Force for one year.

High resolution http://nhqs.nato.int/archives/images.../D2003-918.jpg

They should give you Turkish citizenship automatically. Your military service will last a little longer and might be a little tougher though
    I am sure that he is not interested. He is Greek. There are many Greeks living in Greece which their origin are from Pontos and Asia Minor.
    Now lets get back to the thread...

Chinese Admiral visits Fregate Psara in Somalia Sea

They should give you Turkish citizenship automatically. Your military service will last a little longer and might be a little tougher though

No thanks....especially when it was the Turkish military that whipped out 353,000 Pontian Greeks from 1914-1923.....indeed let's get back to the thread.