Thread: Knives, bayonets, multi tools, daggers and other pointy implements.

Default Randalls

Quote Originally Posted by Henry's Fork View Post
    Great looking Randalls you got there percor.
    Thanks Henry. I used to have 6 Randalls. The first one came in 91 and it was a #14 with Border Patrol handle. The second was the #14 CDT that I show in the photos. (Really this Randall was the one I want from the begining, but Gary told me that I would have to wait 1 year and a half for that one and that a #14 with Border Patrol was ready for deliver, so I accept the Border Patrol).
    Then came a #2 8" blade and a #18.
    I bought a standard #1 8" blade in my country and I realize that the blade was very nice and a little bite lighter than the #14.
    So my last Randall (show in the above post) would be a #1 8" S blade with the Border Patrol handle (I choose this handle because I found that my first #14 was more comfortable that the finger groves handle one). This knife have 3,5 years delay.
    I sold my first Randall in order to pay part of my first AR-15.
    Then I sold #2, # 18 and #1 standard to buy other things.
    I think that the finger groves are very sharp. Once I get a direct hit to my knife hand and the sharp end grove cut my skin, so I rounded them.
    Best regards,
    Percor

Default Duane Dieter CQB Folder

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    I figure I need to contribute some more, just got the itch

I really like the Duane Dieter automatic folder.
    Some day in the near future I will get one.
    Best regards
    Percor

Cold Steel collection:

Gunsite
    Prolite
    Voyager
    Pocket Bushman
    Triple Action
    Scimitar Spike
    SR1 OTF
    Kitchen knife
    Nightshade Karambit and Pushdagger
    Khukri and mini-pal

Nice collection Hammer27
    I have one Nightshade Kerambit on the way. I wanna get familiarized with kerambits and learn spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by welshmann View Post
    how did this get attached to the rifle??
    i have the exact same,
    i thought it was a demil, where they "cut" the barrel loop off?
    my dad had it from way back, and its very similar to the bayonet i got with my k98k

any clarification?

thanks and best regards to all

Quote Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
    i have the exact same,
    i thought it was a demil, where they "cut" the barrel loop off?
    my dad had it from way back, and its very similar to the bayonet i got with my k98k

any clarification?

thanks and best regards to all

Read the post below the one you just quoted.

@hollis
    i did
    im saying that just the "T" slot to the T rail holding the bayo is way to loose to be the only way it stayed attached, no?

im not doubting your info just trying to clarify, have they been demiled or were they designed/issued like that

thanks for your help, your knowledge of firearms is incredible

Banned user

Anyone got a K98 Bayonet for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
    @hollis
    i did
    im saying that just the "T" slot to the T rail holding the bayo is way to loose to be the only way it stayed attached, no?

im not doubting your info just trying to clarify, have they been demiled or were they designed/issued like that

thanks for your help, your knowledge of firearms is incredible
    There is something wrong them. Maybe a Yugo bayo, that was made to look like one for a K98??

No bayo fits real snug, nor should they be real loose.

Quote Originally Posted by sauerstoff View Post
    Nice collection Hammer27
    I have one Nightshade Kerambit on the way. I wanna get familiarized with kerambits and learn spinning.
    That's what I always recommend. So many people want to hop into the karambit field with a $200 Emerson or Strider. The Nightshade is a great way to see if you really like and can work with the design.

Unhappy

I just bought an Al Mar Mini Sere 2000 knife from EBay. It's a black version too, with ceramic black coating.

Price: $157 plus mailing.

I can't justify this kind of self-gratification in any way. Well, at least I am doing my part in keeping the US economy afloat.

I'll be friggin' ready when that big war comes. SERE comes from "Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape". The black coating means it will stay uncorroded even after a swim in the salt water of the Arctic Ocean.

Well, the SERE is certainly an interesting knife. Google it up and you shall see. The Mini SERE is a smaller version, however it's not much smaller in price. From this particular shop, the normal-sized black SERE would have been the same price. I just decided that a big black folder would be too socially unacceptable, a smallish black folder is a bit less scary - especially when people don't notice it. The SERE is made to ride lower in the pocket than most other similar folders, the explanation being that it is more of a "survival knife" than a "tactical knife" - it better stay safe than be ready for a quick grab.

Like I said, I can't pretend that I would actually need this blade. I just know that Al Mar knives have great fit and finish, it's a functional blade too, I couldn't resist. I'll buy some apples to peel with the Mini SERE, maybe the black coating will protect against any acid from fruit.

I shall certainly do a review on this forum once I get the folder. It should be here in a week or so.

Default "Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape".

SERE brings us to my creed... it is a bit like the Ranger Creed or some kind of motto, or sum of beliefs. When the big war hits Europe, I will head for the Arctic. My creed goes as follows:

Run like a rabbit,
    hide like a cockroach.
    Flee like a chicken
    but be stealthy as a fox.

Yes, I can see myself with the SERE knife, filleting cod at the shores of the Arctic Ocean. Survival-Evasion-Resistance-Escape... bring it on, baby.

Oh crud, I will have to pay 22% value added tax too when the knife arrives...

Here's a picture of the black Mini Sere. I think it's quite elegant. As you can see, there's this downward curve at the back of the handle: it is the reason why guys with really big hands don't feel comfortable with it (I've read a lot about this knife on various forums). However I don't think I'll have a problem, I don't have huge hands and actually it's not a "real mini" knife, the blade is three inches long.

-------

Listen up people, I have been doing some thinking while waiting for the Al Mar to arrive by mail... I think we have a very nice, balanced design here. The only thing that's not balanced is the price, but Al Mar is a respected brand and I assume the fit and finish to reflect the price too.

It is a simple liner lock design, and that makes sense in a survival knife. Liner locks don't have a good reputation, they can be untrustworthy in cheapo knives. But first of all, this is NOT a cheapo knife, the liner lock should be well made. And the liner lock allows for a "flow through design".

What does a "flow through design" mean? Well, it means that the knife is open at the top. You can see through it. There are "pillars" that connect the liners together, and in between is the blade. The blade is sandwiched between the liners when the knife is closed, and it swings to the front when the blade comes to use. Simple. The "pillar construction" can be undone to completely disassemble the knife.

Now if you take the knife and stick a pig with it, there might be blood spouting all over. With the flow through design, you can later on rinse the knife, dry it, then give it a lube again. Any other sorts of dirt or foreign obstacles are easy to pry out of the knife. Sure, fine sand will ruin the smooth opening of the knife, but it won't render it useless.

Other kinds of locks are harder to maintain. It might be hard to get foodstuffs or whatever out of a lockback knife. It won't be so hygienic after a while. I don't have experience with other, more "high-tech" locks, so I don't know how easy it would be to clean an AXIS lock on a Benchmade knife; but I imagine it might be hard. There are springs in an AXIS lock. A flow-through liner lock is simpler. Now I'm not an expert... but I kind of have the feeling that an AXIS lock would not function as reliably on a survival knife. A spring falls out, you can't send the knife to Benchmade for repairs if you are trying to survive.

I love serrations, and there are no serrations on this baby... but then, you can't have everything. Just carry a multitool along and use the serrated blade on the multitool. And really, for most kinds of woodwork, a clean blade without serrations is vastly better.

Well, I am looking forward to writing more in a week's time, when the sucker arrives...
    Last edited by Walker-69; 02-09-2009 at 03:49 AM.

Land of the Left and Rinos. Moonbeams Mess.

Nice knife Walker. Anything from Al Mar is worth the money. If i was to start buying knives with liners, the SERE would be at the top of the list.

Whats the extra 22% tax for?? Import tax?

edit: My recent splurge. Best spydie IMO. Perfect size and i have become quite the fan of s30v.

Last edited by Henry's Fork; 02-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Can someone ID this folder please.

Thanks

Nice knife Walker. Anything from Al Mar is worth the money. If i was to start buying knives with liners, the SERE would be at the top of the list.
    Well I had to decide between the SERE and the Mini SERE, and I went for the Mini. I'm sure that it's more socially acceptable.... but nowhere near "politically correct" still

Whats the extra 22% tax for?? Import tax?
    Yes, import tax. Anything above approx. $60 and I need to pay import tax.

edit: My recent splurge. Best spydie IMO. Perfect size and i have become quite the fan of s30v.
    The Paramilitary. It is lovely. I would like one too. Congrats on a good buy!