Thread: .22 vs .223

Default .22 vs .223

Just a quick question:

Can you make a .22 round ( long rifle ) that fires from a .223 sized cartridge ( M193 ) and still allow it to be a 'effective' round? Can this be done in reverse, a .223 bullet is used with a .22 cartridge and still be able to effectively fire?

If this doesnt make sense.....Ill try and rephrase it but my knowledge of ammunition is lower than I would be happy with.

Helpful replies welcome...

Dave

So you are asking if you can shoot M193 bullet from .22lr cartridge, and cast lead .22 bullet from .223 rifle? Makes no sense...

I haven't the dimensions (SAAMI/CIP) here to see that if it would be physically possible or not, but there is no point in such thing anyway. cast lead cannot take velocities .223 works in, nor would .22lr give optimum performance with long thin FMJ round even if you could fire it through your barrel.

-jippo

yeah basically thats waht I was trying to get to.....can it be fired....

we were saying that the only difference between the .223 and the .22lr is the .003 of the actual size....I was under the impression the rounds had a lot of a difference.

Can these be indicated to show the inability to fire a .22 bulet from a .223 sized cartridge and vice versa?

Have you actually seen both rounds before?

doubt it

The .22lr diameter is actually .224. There are chamber adapters shaped like a .223 cartridge so that you can fire a .22lr in a .223 rifle. Obviously, it will not work the action of an auto or semiauto, but you can fire a sigle shot.

here's a pic of a .22lr round next to a 52gr. .223 bullet, should answer your question:

but a .22 is rimfire and a .223 is centerfire. I dont see how it would work regardless of an adapter

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma26
    but a .22 is rimfire and a .223 is centerfire. I dont see how it would work regardless of an adapter
    I think he wants to load a .22LR bullet into a .223 casing and fire it.

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma26
    After you insert the .22lr cartridge into the adapter you slide a cylindrical firing pin adapter in behind it. When the rifle's firing pin strikes the cylinder a small raised piece of metal on the front of the firing pin adapter strikes the rim, firing the cartridge.

I have also seen .22lr adapters that put the .22lr cartridge in at an angle so that the weapons firing pin will strike the rim. This adapter was for .380/200 Webley and Enfield revolvers. You insert the sub-caliber barrel into the barrel and replace the revolver's cylinder with a .22lr one with angled chambers. Accuracy was not that good.

yes I have seen both rounds and fired both rounds once....i never claimed to be educated on this.

thanks for the replies....you have answered my questions...thanks

Here's a kit to convert a M16 into firing 22lr by replacing the bolt carrier group:

I used one in U.S. Army JROTC during our marksmanship course.