Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philippine Government urge to fund PAF Modernization

Default Philippine Government urge to fund PAF Modernization

Palace, Congress urged to find ways to fund Air Force modernization
    10/04 4:35:21 PM

Senate Minority Leader Aquilino Pimentel, Jr. Tuesday urged Malacañang and Congress to find ways to fund the acquisition of a new fleet of fighter planes for the Philippine Air Forces (PAF) following the decision of defense and military authorities to decommission 37 F-5 planes.

Pimentel deplored that the retirement of the 40-year old F-5s, which were acquired from the United States, has left the country practically defenseless from aerial attacks by a hostile country.

The Philippines was the first Asian country which acquired the F-5s, making it the envy of its neighbors. From 1965 to 1995, a total of 37 F-5s were delivered by the US to the Philippines.

With the decommissioning of the two-engine supersonic fighter jets, the PAF has become among the most ill-equipped in Southeast Asia, with accident-****e trainer jets (Italian-made Augusta 2-11 planes) and ageing, second-hand helicopters remaining as its air assets.

Pimentel said the pitiful condition of the PAF should not be left unheeded by the government because of its serious repercussions on the country’s external security.

He said the Senate minority bloc believes that the modernization of the AFP should be given priority by the government in terms of budgetary allocation.

“The Senate opposition is ready to help the air force get its due. Responsible officials must tell us what can be done reasonably and fast,” the minority leader said.

Pimentel said Congress enacted the law on the modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in 1995 with the high hopes that it will beef up the fighting capability of the air force, navy and army through the acquisition of new and more efficient equipment and weapons.

He lamented the observation among military brass that the AFP modernization program “never took off” allegedly because of the bungling of government officials who “put politics above the country’s security.”

But admittedly, he said the AFP modernization has been hobbled from the start by funding constraints.

The fighter planes needed to replace the overused and obsolete F-5 would reportedly cost US$36 million each.

The retirement of the F-5s was supposedly the result of the decision of the Department of National Defense to channel the AFP’s insufficient resources to internal security operations since there was “no immediate external threat” against the Philippines.

Pimentel urged leaders of the executive and legislative branches to get their acts together to put the AFP modernization of the air force back on track and rectify a dangerous situation where the country has no external air defense system to speak of.

As an archipelagic country, he said the Philippines should strive to build a strong air force and navy if it is to fully secure its vast maritime territories and air space and effectively pursue a foreign policy and economic diplomacy that will advance the national interests.

= = = = = =

Question what plane costs US$ 36Million, I once read an F-16 cost this much. What model would that be? Is it like the F-16C Block 60's UAE got?

Hope this really takes off

so sad, I wish the pilipino stop watching to much tv drama and the "bahala na" System.....

"aerial attacks" from a hostiles county should be the least of their concerns right now as the current threat are the rebels on the ground.

i say spent that $36m per plane on modernizing your ground troops, better yet how about helicopters.

Quote Originally Posted by iurtunc
    "aerial attacks" from a hostiles county should be the least of their concerns right now as the current threat are the rebels on the ground.

i say spent that $36m per plane on modernizing your ground troops, better yet how about helicopters.
    yeah helicopter, what a use for china?.....

Philippine needs external military defense apparatus which basically non-existence. do you know that those rebels having a financial help from Malaysia and still on going. Just getting a wholesale of just helicopters won't bring you victory to the rebels. Airpower is essential to a maritime country like the Philippines. just Helis are important to landlocked countries.

Philippine ground forces like the Phil Army and Phil. Marines are highly modernize but lacks in Air and Naval Supports which are now rotting on its ports and airbases...

look at this WWII frigate BRP Rajah Humabon (fomerly USS Atherton, DE169, launched 1943) is the oldest WWII warship still in service until US aid for new ship coming,,,...when?. Currently use as a flagship and use in the spratlys against the PLA NAVY luda class ships.

no missile or ASW warfare on it....

I hope we start to buy a few planes at a time, why not 5-7 modern MRFs... Then a few Helicopters or fast missile armed crafts... After some time more MRFs, till its a 24 plane squadron...

Anyway what other planes cost US$ 36million, or any where near it?

use for fighting rebels NOW.

and why would china want to hit Philippines (mainland)? i can understand the spratly isles though.
    or better yet why on earth would Philippines want to hit china??

but in the end where are they going to get the funds to buy all these hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by iurtunc
    use for fighting rebels NOW.

and why would china want to hit Philippines (mainland)? i can understand the spratly isles though.
    or better yet why on earth would Philippines want to hit china??

but in the end where are they going to get the funds to buy all these hardware?
    simple, China is trying to panama the Philippines....

I reckon they should try to aquire a sqn of hawk 200 or 300's.

Basic fighters with ground attack capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael RVR
    I reckon they should try to aquire a sqn of hawk 200 or 300's.

Basic fighters with ground attack capability.
    These are less than US$ 20million each?... They look nice, same planes the Brunei AF is flying.

First off, get rid of that 24-member bunch of wannabe-presidents that calls itself a Senate. Money for modernizing anything (i.e. ports, trains, dams, not just military equipment) is choked by that lot and lost through bollock-trading.

Next, streamline the Air Force. Too many officers with no real stick time, too few pilots with experience in combat air patrol. If it weighs more than 70 kilos, retire it. All air assets must be Air Force and not parcelled out to the services a la US Nave and USMC.

Then, shop around for a plane with MRF, preferably stand-off capability. No dogfights, no Top Gun tricks. Just shoot to kill. PLenty out there in the market to start a good squadron (I personally prefer JAS 39, sexy cool). The new Korean trainer might be a good start, or maybe the Turkish F-16's.

No external threats? None visibly. But note that the pirates down south use NORINCO M-14 knock-offs, and China claims all of the South China Sea, while damn near every other SEAsian country is paranoid of Islamists taking over and using air assets to set up a caliphate. It takes just a nervous tic to get everybody on war footing.

Quote Originally Posted by hughdotoh
    First off, get rid of that 24-member bunch of wannabe-presidents that calls itself a Senate. Money for modernizing anything (i.e. ports, trains, dams, not just military equipment) is choked by that lot and lost through bollock-trading.

Next, streamline the Air Force. Too many officers with no real stick time, too few pilots with experience in combat air patrol. If it weighs more than 70 kilos, retire it. All air assets must be Air Force and not parcelled out to the services a la US Nave and USMC.

Then, shop around for a plane with MRF, preferably stand-off capability. No dogfights, no Top Gun tricks. Just shoot to kill. PLenty out there in the market to start a good squadron (I personally prefer JAS 39, sexy cool). The new Korean trainer might be a good start, or maybe the Turkish F-16's.

No external threats? None visibly. But note that the pirates down south use NORINCO M-14 knock-offs, and China claims all of the South China Sea, while damn near every other SEAsian country is paranoid of Islamists taking over and using air assets to set up a caliphate. It takes just a nervous tic to get everybody on war footing.
    Just might happen if there's a fanatic PLA pilot flying a Su-27 armed with a cruise missile, hits the senate and everyone in the building is burt to a crisp. The PLA apologizes and the RP Government accepts and like a puppy hides its tail behind and just walk away. Then a new beginning.

The next leaders might want to invest on technology [after all the country's exports of electronics have a big share of the economy], and infrastructure, we might end up with a military structure like those of Switzerland. A military like that of singapore... he he he just dreaming

The Grippen is the same bird I'm hoping for, but the Korean A/T-50 Eagle looks cool... If we could afford the Mako Fighter of Germany why not... Its bound to be less than US$ 36million a copy right...

A senator took notice? WoW. So something must be done then. Will they sacrifice their pork to fund the military?

I got a word here. It's called corruption.

No way is the PAF or the whole AFP going to be able to modernize fast enough. Attrition will be faster.

If some willing country gives us military aid, watch those generals houses with those brand new SUV's.

The country has enough minds to be able to at least liscence the manufacture or assembly of the equipments or aircraft/tanks etc... THere's just a certain oddity in the Filipino mentallity that believes foreign made goods are always better and local stuff just cant compare.

They manufacture the Alvis SIMBAS locally though.

Not surprising, have you guys seen the recent Time's photo journal of the AFP? Truly the sick man of Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZen
    simple, China is trying to panama the Philippines....
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by Yaberdaber
    Not surprising, have you guys seen the recent Time's photo journal of the AFP? Truly the sick man of Asia.
    Sometimes when I've got nothing else to be proud about, I turn to that phrase "the sick man of Asia" and become proud again that we are the best at being the worst.

But for all it's worth, I bet our infantry can give other Asian armies a run for their money.