Page 5 of 1125 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel Defense Forces (Read First Post!)

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Nice pics, thank you.

Didn't the IDF retire the M-60's?

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_hind View Post
    I have a question regarding the placement of the Ma Deuce. Why did the Israelis mount the M-2 over the barrel of the main gun, and why did they remove the cupola turret that was standard on other M-60s?
    We might have a language barrier here, if by the Ma Deuce you mean the Browning 50.cal than it was placed there for training purposes, usualy in small scale exercises a crew will fire a series or two of 105mm rounds with the main gun and use the 50.cal to simulate the rest, thats why it's placed directly above the main gun.

later it turned out to be effective in combat as well, it's like having a sniper rifle in your tank, and it's good for up to 1500m while the gunners MG is only good for 1200m.

the Magach6 series uses the original M60 turret but the Magach7 series uses an M48 turret over it's M60 chassis, probably in order to ease the already heavy burden on the treads and springs systems and the engine because it uses a much heavier armor.

i hope thats what you were asking.

Quote Originally Posted by beNder View Post
    Nice pics, thank you.

Didn't the IDF retire the M-60's?
    All these tanks are now belonging to the past (put in storage for the case).

Banned user

Those females are beautiful ;x

Recent Official Dumbarse & utter knobhead Universe's Avatar

Same man I gotta agree I want a piece of that IDF girls :P

I think I know everything, but I don't lightfire's Avatar

oh goddamit.. please, this is IDF armour thread, not another OMFG!!!11!!! IDF girls are soooo awssssome!! thread
    or do you suggest that idf girls are the best armour in the whole IDF..?

Quote Originally Posted by tanks_alot View Post
    We might have a language barrier here, if by the Ma Deuce you mean the Browning 50.cal than it was placed there for training purposes, usualy in small scale exercises a crew will fire a series or two of 105mm rounds with the main gun and use the 50.cal to simulate the rest, thats why it's placed directly above the main gun.

later it turned out to be effective in combat as well, it's like having a sniper rifle in your tank, and it's good for up to 1500m while the gunners MG is only good for 1200m.

the Magach6 series uses the original M60 turret but the Magach7 series uses an M48 turret over it's M60 chassis, probably in order to ease the already heavy burden on the treads and springs systems and the engine because it uses a much heavier armor.

i hope thats what you were asking.
    Yes...the M2 .50 cal is mounted where the searchlight should be. Nothing like a .50 cal coax! The couplas were removed due to the hard earned lesson that a glancing blow by another tank round had a nasty habit of knocking the coupla off the tank.....taking the top half of the TC with it. Also the reason why the M-60 series MBTs where the last American MBT with the coupla.

The Israeli ability to upgrade obsolescent armor is legendary. They fought their first wars with written off wrecks they found, bought and smuggled into Israel from junk yards all over western europe after WWII.

The M-48 turret is a very tight fit....the only thing tighter was the driver's compartment. I always felt like I was driving with my knees up near my chin.

But at least you can stand up inside a 48 or a 60 turret....unlike the M1s......

Quote Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
    oh goddamit.. please, this is IDF armour thread, not another OMFG!!!11!!! IDF girls are soooo awssssome!! thread
    or do you suggest that idf girls are the best armour in the whole IDF..?
    I wouldn't mind being surrounded by them......

As to the added weight....it's hardest on the torsion bars.....I've changed many a torsion bar on the regular 48s and 60s in my time and let me tell you they are a *****. They usually break into a number of pieces that take forever to get out but God help you if they get bent in the channel. You will be there all night trying to pound it out....

Unlike the European crews...American crews had to do most of the maintenance and repair on their tanks. I, just a lowly Tank Commander/Plt Sergeant, had to explain short tracking to the German mechanics who were trying to get a leopard back on the road after it lost it's rear set of road wheels. The crew just broke out their rations and sat on the tank watching us work.

That would never Fly in the U.S. Armor or Cavalry. The American Crews worked and learned along side their mechanics so if they were broke down in combat they could get the tank moving and get back into battle.

Combat repairs were taught to and improved upon by our crews.

I once spent a reforger, after we lost our last heater and the linkages froze, with a piece of commo wire in my left hand as my accelerator while I shifted gears and drove with my right.

The German Mechanics wouldn't believe me when I said just chain up the rear torsion arm, pull out some tread blocks, tighten up the track and away you go....even when I got out the M-60A1 -10 and showed them........so I had to do it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by loganinkosovo View Post
    The M-48 turret is a very tight fit....the only thing tighter was the driver's compartment. I always felt like I was driving with my knees up near my chin.

But at least you can stand up inside a 48 or a 60 turret....unlike the M1s......
    Well, it's the exact opposite in a Magach7C, because the chassis is an M60 one the driver's compartment is considered the best one to sleep in.
    the loader doesn't have it so bad either in a M48 turret but the gunner.... and if the TC is sitting down his knees will get stuck in the gunner's back.

As to the added weight....it's hardest on the torsion bars.....I've changed many a torsion bar on the regular 48s and 60s in my time and let me tell you they are a *****. They usually break into a number of pieces that take forever to get out but God help you if they get bent in the channel. You will be there all night trying to pound it out....
    I'm learning new things from this thread, the exact translation from Hebrew to how we call a torsion bar is twisting bars or rods, now i now how you call it in English..., either way it's a horrible invention! the Merkava's don't use them any more.
    there is nothing like that loud snaping noise to let you know your going to be spending a good number of hours now on replacing it and think about how often it happend with all of that added armor....

Unlike the European crews...American crews had to do most of the maintenance and repair on their tanks. I, just a lowly Tank Commander/Plt Sergeant, had to explain short tracking to the German mechanics who were trying to get a leopard back on the road after it lost it's rear set of road wheels. The crew just broke out their rations and sat on the tank watching us work.

That would never Fly in the U.S. Armor or Cavalry. The American Crews worked and learned along side their mechanics so if they were broke down in combat they could get the tank moving and get back into battle.

Combat repairs were taught to and improved upon by our crews.
    yes, we heard stories about German crews being treated like pilots, they get off the tank and mechanics take over, i always thought it was a myth though.

it's the same in the IDF, the technical squad only does things that are too complicated for the crew to do alone, like removing the engine or using a blow torch and etc' but even than the crew works with the mechanics.

things like replacing bogies or repairing the tread are done by the crew alone.
    Last edited by tanks_alot; 12-25-2006 at 05:27 AM. Reason: again, my dog told me to do it.

yeah....I gave that crew a good talking to after I realized that they were not going to come off the tank to help..... Useless bunch of F@ckers. Appealing to their manhood and honor didn't work either.

It was at that point that I realized that the German Army really was completely unable to fight it's way out of a paper bag.

Sitting around waiting for the mechanics to do your job doesn't kill the enemy.

lets see....torsion bars, idler wheels, return rollers, road wheels, sprockets, track blocks, center guides, end connectors, torsion arms, track pads, final drives, track tension adjustment bar. The tools are the little joe wrench, the 3/4 inch sliding T, the pinch point pry bar (tankers bar), the track jack, the ten pound sledge, the 3 pound sledge, the one pound pein, the torsion bar puller (sliding hammer), a good lenght of quality chain and a long piece of good rope.

Oh....I forgot the clevises....can't forget the clevises! and the towing cables and the towing arm.....you get very familiar with these if you don't have the newer RISE power pack....

on safari to find blood diamond pants.................

ok whats with the ferrari in one of the pics you got any more of those shots with the cars ...opps and the girls

For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent, for Jerusalem’s sake I will not remain quiet

yeah....I gave that crew a good talking to after I realized that they were not going to come off the tank to help..... Useless bunch of F@ckers. Appealing to their manhood and honor didn't work either.

It was at that point that I realized that the German Army really was completely unable to fight it's way out of a paper bag.

Sitting around waiting for the mechanics to do your job doesn't kill the enemy.

lets see....torsion bars, idler wheels, return rollers, road wheels, sprockets, track blocks, center guides, end connectors, torsion arms, track pads, final drives, track tension adjustment bar. The tools are the little joe wrench, the 3/4 inch sliding T, the pinch point pry bar (tankers bar), the track jack, the ten pound sledge, the 3 pound sledge, the one pound pein, the torsion bar puller (sliding hammer), a good lenght of quality chain and a long piece of good rope.

Oh....I forgot the clevises....can't forget the clevises! and the towing cables and the towing arm.....you get very familiar with these if you don't have the newer RISE power pack....
    I knew it was a good idea to volunteer for light cavalry, in peace time, you just have to maintain your all terrain vehicles, laugh at the heavy armour teams you see more often playing mechanics than having fun shooting up things in training, and when war comes, you know the war won't be too long for you. I have to admit, one got to be seriously lazy to become tank recon

Quote Originally Posted by gilgoul View Post
    I knew it was a good idea to volunteer for light cavalry, in peace time, you just have to maintain your all terrain vehicles, laugh at the heavy armour teams you see more often playing mechanics than having fun shooting up things in training, and when war comes, you know the war won't be too long for you. I have to admit, one got to be seriously lazy to become tank recon
    You were in Palsar Sheryon? oh, and the short war thing is not really in your favor you know...

nice pics thx for uploading