Page 1169 of 1169 FirstFirst ... 169669106911191159116111621163116411651166116711681169
Results 17,521 to 17,531 of 17531

Thread: Israel Defense Forces (Read First Post!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aghaurr the Cruel View Post
    My mistake, I forgot. ZIO BS and ZIO MURDERERS should always be headed.
    Awww, I'm sorry I upset you. But taking an offence at every Israel success and victory must be really making your life a lingering misery. So you know, just take it easy.

This isn't military related but I figured it's the quickest way to contact the Israelis here. My wife and I are debating a two week vacation to either Europe or Israel in September. I noticed that both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur both fall during our trip (Sept 11 to 25). My question is, is everything shut completely during those times. Would it be better to do "next year in Jerusalem" or will it be fairly normal?

yom kippur is like a one day Amish community service in all of Israel in rosh a shana only public transport is down for one day
    a rental car is the best way to move around Israel anyway
    only the police the hospitals and IEC work on that day even Ben gurion is shut dawn
    the high holidays is the best time to visit Israel if you are Jewish the atmosphere is absolutely unique
    all religious and culture sits are working over time

Quote Originally Posted by cbreedon View Post
    This isn't military related but I figured it's the quickest way to contact the Israelis here. My wife and I are debating a two week vacation to either Europe or Israel in September. I noticed that both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur both fall during our trip (Sept 11 to 25). My question is, is everything shut completely during those times. Would it be better to do "next year in Jerusalem" or will it be fairly normal?
    During Yom Kippur the country is completely shut down (to the extent that there are no cars on the roads, and it is recomended that you don't drive even if you have the option).

Museums and public transportation are closed during Rosh HaShanah but people still tend to visit parks and various venues (but the only option is having a car).

Thanks for the replies. What about restaurants during these times? We have no family there so we would be eating out.

Thanks for the replies. What about restaurants during these times? We have no family there so we would be eating out.
    On Yom Kippur the only option for eating out is pretty much in Arab communities

On Rosh HaShanah various non-Kosher restaurants would most probably remain open.

both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur both fall during our trip (Sept 11 to 25). My question is, is everything shut completely during those times. Would it be better to do "next year in Jerusalem" or will it be fairly normal?
    Definitely not a day to be in J'lem unless you are religion-interested. However in other places less polluted by religious bullies, like Eilat, you should be able to enjoy yourself reasonably. (plus the Red sea doesn't close even on the mostest holiest... )

Thanks for the replies. You guys convinced me that it won't be too much of an inconvenience. I just booked the tickets and we will be coming in September!

Toda raba.

Thanks for the replies. You guys convinced me that it won't be too much of an inconvenience. I just booked the tickets and we will be coming in September!

Toda raba.
    Hope you have a good time. I actually would recommend to spend Yom Kippur in Jerusalem - a very unique experience. No cars, no nothing, all the streets are full of strolling people, children playing in the middle of road etc. Really, the most peaceful day in year, also my favorite. A perfect day for on-foot sight seeing. Just make sure you have enough food for this day.

Quote Originally Posted by IDF_TANKER View Post
    Hope you have a good time. I actually would recommend to spend Yom Kippur in Jerusalem - a very unique experience. No cars, no nothing, all the streets are full of strolling people, children playing in the middle of road etc. Really, the most peaceful day in year, also my favorite. A perfect day for on-foot sight seeing. Just make sure you have enough food for this day.
    The food thing is my biggest worry with the two holidays during our time there. We get in right at 5pm on the 13th (Rosh Hashanah). Maybe we just drive to Eilat and hang there for 2 days. We leave on right after Yom Kippur so we probably will be in Jerusalem during that time. It sounds like it would be nice. I assume places would be open in the Christian and Arab quarters on this day?

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

I'm not a big Eilat fan. Your other option could be (assuming you're not Jewish and have a rental) stay up north; Haifa or even Nazareth. Haifa has the German Colony near the port and restaurants there will be open, and you could also go over to Acre - lots to see and eat. Nazareth is obviously a Christian (and Moslem) town. Again if you have the car and you're in Jerusalem, you can drive 15 min. to Abu Ghosh for a meal. What you could also do on YK if you're in Jerusalem - and yes, it's special and peaceful - is walk over to the Old City and eat there.

The food thing is my biggest worry with the two holidays during our time there. We get in right at 5pm on the 13th (Rosh Hashanah). Maybe we just drive to Eilat and hang there for 2 days. We leave on right after Yom Kippur so we probably will be in Jerusalem during that time. It sounds like it would be nice. I assume places would be open in the Christian and Arab quarters on this day?