Thread: Israel Defense Forces (Read First Post!)

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    BTW, GrimReaper, do you think that only Israelis can read Hebrew?
    You can translate it via Google.

A small country that makes a lot of noise

Quote Originally Posted by DID View Post
    You speek about these Armored vehicle? Ok they are called "puma" former Centurion MBT used now by engineering corp for breaching the minefield in the first line, they were the first to go inside Lebanon (excepted IAF and SF of course) and they cannot be called jobnikim for sure!!! Some of my friends were inside one of those Puma and they got a Mortar shell inside it, fortunatly only the squad leader was hit, RIP.
    He wasn't talking about the Pumas but about the guy in the Nagmash (M-113).

I agree with GrimReaper, that's not the way you should be talking about the people who basically keep the tanks/APCs going on the battlefield or at times rescue tank/APC crews.

Quote Originally Posted by DID View Post
    You speek about these Armored vehicle? Ok they are called "puma" former Centurion MBT used now by engineering corp for breaching the minefield in the first line, they were the first to go inside Lebanon (excepted IAF and SF of course) and they cannot be called jobnikim for sure!!! Some of my friends were inside one of those Puma and they got a Mortar shell inside it, fortunatly only the squad leader was hit, RIP.
    Perhaps you should wait me to answer your first question, before going into inane moralization rant?? I'm perfectly aware of what is Puma and role of the combat engineers in war. I was referring to the picture above my post - the guy with the blanket.

And, GrimReaper/GiladS, I don't know what is your personal experience with the armor company tech squad ("hulia technit, nagmash 9"), but it probably differs from mine... and I'm not feeling like developing this topic, so lets just leave it at that, would we..?

Quote Originally Posted by IDF_TANKER View Post
    And, GrimReaper/GiladS, I don't know what is your personal experience with the armor company tech squad ("hulia technit, nagmash 9"), but it probably differs from mine... and I'm not feeling like developing this topic, so lets just leave it at that, would we..?
    Fine, but your own personal experience doesn't reflect on the operational role expected from them. Just like some of the scum I have met along the way don't reflect on all "grunts" in infantry battalions.
    Here's an example for a "Pogue":
    http://www.aka.idf.il/iturim/asp/dis...m=12&sOrderBy=
    In the past and especially befoer the 2000's "מנטליות בט"ש" armor crews understood these guys are an inherent part of the company, and they took part in any company duty they could. Whether manning posts in Lebanon, securing convoys and even driving tanks in times of war when short handed - in addition to their actual roles, dangerous and vulnerable all by itself in wartime and some areas of operation.
    Last edited by GrimReaper; 11-11-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Israeli army troops advance from their armoured fighting vehicles as they take part in a training exercise November 10, 2009 near the Israeli city of Katzrin in the Golan Heights.

My Photos from Operation Cast Lead (cleared for publication with Sirpad's help )...

A view of the Zaytoun neighborhood from the window of a house where we were stationed in, you can clearly notice the chicken coop that was adjacent to the house. That night we heard would seemed be scratching noises coming from the coop, as if an animal was burrowing. Now take into a consideration that there was a real threat of tunnels and bunker complexes and one soldier was almost abducted (not my unit) by using such a tunnel. We cleared it out with two grenades and swept it again to make sure it was clear and there were no tunnel entrances... didn't find anything apart from a lot of dead chickens.

The next set of pictures was taken from the porch of this house.

(Taken from the house in picture #2) Smoke from the Tel al Hawa neighborhood in Gaza City where my battalion operated.

(Taken from the house in picture #2) You can clearly see that the Mediterranean Sea isn't far, one km away more or less. The pool is sewage water.

(Taken from the house in picture #2) Better view of the Mediterranean.

(Taken from the house in picture #2) D9 Bulldozer.

(Taken from the house in picture #2) PUMA Combat Engineering vehicle.

(Taken from the house in picture #2) Merkava Mark 4s, with these guys around you always knew you had your back covered...

More to come soon...

GiladS, i see alot of soldiers without any helmets on..

Im guessing either they were just negligent? Or the area was considered really safe?

Quote Originally Posted by bbsh View Post
    Im guessing either they were just negligent? Or the area was considered really safe?
    The area was considerd pretty secure, a lot of sand battaries put up by the D9s and armor surrounded us.

They even let in M-34 trucks and M-113s (!!)

Staging point.

Resting at the staging point.

The IDF's taxi in the Gaza *****...

Open terrain in the Gaza *****.

Great pictures Gilad.

These are from Cast Lead as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IDF_TANKER View Post
    Perhaps you should wait me to answer your first question, before going into inane moralization rant?? I'm perfectly aware of what is Puma and role of the combat engineers in war. I was referring to the picture above my post - the guy with the blanket.

Oops I apologize so.

JERUSALEM The number of conscripts volunteering to serve in Israeli combat units has risen to a 10-year-high partly as a result of what the army sees as its success in Gaza, Yediot Aharonot said on Friday.

A total of 73 percent of conscripts called up in the second quarter wanted to join combat units, compared with 67.2 percent last year, the newspaper said.

The low was 66.3 percent in 1997.

The daily cited army officials as saying this was partly a result of the turn-of-the-year offensive in the Gaza *****, seen by Israel as a military success, and also proved recruiters' work in schools was bearing fruit.

The paper also published figures showing about 36 percent of young Israelis were exempted from serving in the armed forces, including a high percentage of ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Military service is generally obligatory for Jewish Israelis. Arabs who make up 20 percent of the 7.5 million population are exempted. An exception is made for the Druze -- followers of a breakaway sect of Islam.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...lC7zQX7YrbwRSA

Here's the original source. Gives more stats. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...804706,00.html

Great pics GiladS.

Also it is interesting to see the amount of conscripts volunteering to serve in combat units. Is there a general feeling that Israel is under an even bigger threat at this time? Or are they just buoyed by the success of Cast lead and the quality of the IDF?