Thread: Israel Defense Forces (Read First Post!)

Not necessarily the case with the ones in the photos, but Islamic Jihad and Hamas forces often dress up as IDF soldiers during attacks to confuse the Israelis.

Quote Originally Posted by joash View Post
    Not necessarily the case with the ones in the photos, but Islamic Jihad and Hamas forces often dress up as IDF soldiers during attacks to confuse the Israelis.
    Hezbollah as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amerikie View Post
    Golani 12 on Mt. Hermon:

Hi, guys.
    I have a question about the white "O" & "X" mark on his small pouch.
    I asked one IDF guy about that. He said "O" meant firstaid kit in the pocket.
    But I don't know the mean of "X". What items is it in "X" pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by CPTyama View Post
    Hi, guys.
    I have a question about the white "O" & "X" mark on his small pouch.
    I asked one IDF guy about that. He said "O" meant firstaid kit in the pocket.
    But I don't know the mean of "X". What items is it in "X" pocket?
    I have never encountered those marks in my service... But I read somewhere that 'O' is for tourniquet(blocking arteries) and 'X' is for first aid bandage..

Quote Originally Posted by McH202 View Post
    I have never encountered those marks in my service... But I read somewhere that 'O' is for tourniquet(blocking arteries) and 'X' is for first aid bandage..
    Thank you very much, Mch202.
    I think tourniquet & bandage are the most suitable answer in those pouches.
    And also everyone confirm where his firstaid kit is put in.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTyama View Post
    Thank you very much, Mch202.
    I think tourniquet & bandage are the most suitable answer in those pouches.
    And also everyone confirm where his firstaid kit is put in.
    On the vest, the O is a tourniquet and the X is an Israeli Bandage. The reason for the markings is due to many units providing custom sewn vests (as this soldier is wearing), so the symbols will tell his unit where to find his first aid gear. This is generally all the regular infantry carry in regards to first aid, though the medic carries a complete kit in his vest.

Quote Originally Posted by amerikie View Post
    On the vest, the O is a tourniquet and the X is an Israeli Bandage. The reason for the markings is due to many units providing custom sewn vests (as this soldier is wearing), so the symbols will tell his unit where to find his first aid gear. This is generally all the regular infantry carry in regards to first aid, though the medic carries a complete kit in his vest.
    Wouldn't it be better to use a color that stands out a bit less, for the markings? like black on green, or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by tanks_alot View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to use a color that stands out a bit less, for the markings? like black on green, or vice versa?
    It's white because white is much more visible at night. Most of the army markings are white for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by idfhayal View Post
    It's white because white is much more visible at night. Most of the army markings are white for the same reason.
    Yes, that's my point. it's also visible to the guys that want to shoot you.

Yes, that's my point. it's also visible to the guys that want to shoot you.
    Small white sign is not visible from the distance like big black weapon is. At night it's easily seen only from the very short distance.
    These markings should help others to find your medical kit if you are injured.
    P.S. There is no black color in the nature so it always makes me smile when i see soldiers who use black gear to look more "tactical". That's why we have always painted our guns.

Quote Originally Posted by idfhayal View Post
    Small white sign is not visible from the distance like big black weapon is. At night it's easily seen only from the very short distance.
    These markings should help others to find your medical kit if you are injured.
    P.S. There is no black color in the nature so it always makes me smile when i see soldiers who use black gear to look more "tactical". That's why we have always painted our guns.
    Dude, it's utterly pointless to try and convince me that using bright white colors, over your green gear, is not an immediate eye catcher, certainly during the day.

Soldiers aren't allowed to wear white T-shirts under their uniforms, while in the field, for a reason.

Black isn't that good either, certainly not those "cool" vests and also the black rubber bands on the helmet, that are so common. but if you have to mark something, you might as well do it with a dark color and not bright white.

Dude, it's utterly pointless to try and convince me that using bright white colors, over your green gear, is not an immediate eye catcher, certainly during the day.

Soldiers aren't allowed to wear white T-shirts under their uniforms, while in the field, for a reason.

Black isn't that good either, certainly not those "cool" vests and also the black rubber bands on the helmet, that are so common. but if you have to mark something, you might as well do it with a dark color and not bright white.
    I don't try to convince you and I also don't think that these markings are a good idea and have never used them. I only try to explain why it's done and why it's not such a stupid idea.
    1. I agree with you that white color is an eye catcher but be sure that you will see a soldier before you will notice these markings. If you don't agree try it at home.
    2. Color is not the problem. Contrast and background are the key. In boulder enviroment in the north you would prefer to be white and not green.
    3. There is no other way to identify at night where the soldiers first kit is when soldiers don't use standard issued vests. The seconds you spend trying to find it are critical for human life.
    4. Let's be honest. IDF infantry battalion soldier doesn't need to be unvisible because the operations they do doesn't require it. Be sure that Maglan and Egoz don't use white markings during the operations they are trained to do.
    5. During my army service I've undergone some training with 2 of the most elit units. Cord they've used on the weapons was white because it was flame resistant and paracord is not. And be sure that they are REAL professionals.
    6. MOST of the israeli soldiers are trained so badly and have no discipline that no camouflage will help them. All these covert things are told to regular soldiers to give them some moral. אז בואו נפסיק לחיות בסרט

Thank you very much, amerikie, tanksalot & idfhayal.
    There are very impressive reply for me.
    I see a lot of pictures about world soldiers. Only IDF choose this method.
    You know, I think first-aid matter is one of the important factor to keep combat power.
    Also first guy which found out this method is really genius.

Last edited by amerikie; 02-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Is anyone have some good picture of Israeli uh-60 pilot (except that on Google)or anyone know type of helmet and survive vest that they use?