Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Lithuanian defence forces

US Agency for Reality Interpretation. No! Thats not a white elephant you see, move along!

That's negative lightfire, those are Redeye's! FIM-43A to be exact. (I would assume these are Ex-West German stock?)
    Interesting pedestal set-up, you sure won't see that configuration in the USA.

Are You sure these are Redeye's?
    Air Defence Missile System Stinger introduced in Gaiziunai Training Area
    2007-11-05

Air Defence Missile System Stinger was introduced in Gaiziunai Training Area (Rukla, Jonavos distr.) during the exercise of the Motorised Infantry Brigade Gelezinis Vilkas Air Defence Battery on November 5.

The exercise was attended by the National Defence Minister Juozas Olekas, Ambassador in Lithuania of the USA John A. Claud, Deputy USA Ambassador in Lithuania Dr Damian Leader, Commander of the Lithuanian Armed Forces General Major Valdas Tutkus, interim Land Force Commander Colonel Vytautas Zukas, Chief of Staff of the Motorised Infantry Brigade Gelezinis Vilkas Lieutenant Colonel Egidijus Karvelis, project managers from the USA and other guests.

Soldiers of the Air Defence Battery introduced the Air Defence Missile System Stinger and demonstrated operation of the system during the event.

Project of purchasing Air Defence Missile System Stinger was started in November 2002 after the Lithuanian and USA governments had signed treaty on purchasing the systems. The project concerned Antiaircraft Defence Company of the Standing Motorised Infantry Brigade Iron Wolf being armed with Stinger systems within the period of three years.

The projects costs about 108 million litas. According to the agreement, shipment of 8 launchers, 2 radars, and 2 tactical control centres was delivered to the Lithuanian Armed Forces in the middle of 2007. USA instructors are conducting training for maintenance personnel and operators from August 1 to November 5, the course will be end by closing exercise on November 5.

Air defence system is designed for defending battle territories and vital objects from air attacks, killing low flying helicopters, transport aircrafts, and fighters.

Ultrasound missiles can reach target in the distance of 8 kilometres.

The improved modification Stinger systems bought by Lithuania include more sophisticated processors of more capacious memory. This type missile systems are designed for the Hammer type vehicles.

Lithuanian Government decided to buy air defence systems from the USA after a market analysis and investigation of military experts on effectiveness of the weapon according to specific criteria were conducted.

“Raytheon” air defence systems Stinger are used in the USA Land, Naval Force and the Marine Corps. Over 20 Western countries have purchased the system.
    http://www.kam.lt/index.php/en/142321/

AFAIK the missiles are Raytheon's Stinger RMP/Block I International on Dual Mount Stinger (DMS) launchers.

I think I know everything, but I don't lightfire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mohawkALSE View Post

http://www.defenselink.mil/DODCMSSha...810A-009dotjpg

I'm liking that old school aluminum waffle mag hes got in that AKMS. Damn fine condition too.
    that's an old pic though, we no longer use AKMS except some cases.

That's negative lightfire, those are Redeye's! FIM-43A to be exact. (I would assume these are Ex-West German stock?)
    Interesting pedestal set-up, you sure won't see that configuration in the USA.
    Redeyes my ass. Those are Stingers, as the article below says. They were bought along with Javelin ATGMs.

US Agency for Reality Interpretation. No! Thats not a white elephant you see, move along!

Well, it is your ass then! Because those weapons shown are Redeye missiles! They are not Stingers, I don't care what the article says. The LDF may have gotten Stingers, but that is not the weapons shown in the photos!
    Last edited by haze99; 11-17-2007 at 10:37 PM.

After some concideration and using the situation, that my workload has stoped tempr. I decided to upload some more pics to this messy thread.

I will start from the backbourne of our armed forces..err..land forces - Geležinis Vilkas (Iron Wolf) brigade. This brigade is part of danish division in NATO operations.

Brigade:

It consists of:

Brigade HQ;

King Mindaugas motorized (to be mechanized) batalion;

Grand Duke Mechanized Algirdas Batalion;

Grand Duke Kęstutis motorized batalion;

Grand Duches Birutė motorized batalion:

Artilery Batalion:

Random photos:

[IMG][/IMG]

Maybe I will post some more later..

Lithuania ordered 18 Javelin (ATGM) launchers along with 74 missiles, also suposedly 21 RBS-70 launchers with 210 missiles from Norway with 5 Giraffe 40 radars.

And the Stinger deal, 54 missiles for 8 launchers with two AN/MPQ-64 radars.

Unicus Ac Immortalis II Dark Avenger's Avatar

Very interesting photos!
    Any more of the Lithuanian M113s?

Look like Danish G3 models to me, manned by Lithuanians.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Avenger View Post
    Very interesting photos!
    Any more of the Lithuanian M113s?
    Look like Danish G3 models to me, manned by Lithuanians.
    More M113s? they are quite old, ex german. Plans tu replace them partially with wheeled IFVs/APCs, upgrade the rest. Those in your qouted pic are danish indeed, used by lithuanian soldiers.

M113s (about 250 alltoogether in the armed forces) in low low low rez:

And well, today is the day - the day of lithuanian armed forces 23rd of November!

and besides, perhaps specially, on this day it was announced, that G36 is to become a standart assault riffle of lithuanian armed forces. A contract, worth of 44.6 mln litas (about 12 mln Euros) was signed to buy two modifications of G36 (?..later..) with grenade launchers, spares etc.

just asking, are those howitzers M101 105mm? Thanks, oh and how many are there?

Yes M-101 from Denmark, 54 of them and 18 more for spares.

yes, they are old, but for training and present time they are suitable. And plus they have laser range finders. In future, of cource, self propelled artilery is planed, but there are no clear plans,since priorities are elswhere for now.

Thumbs up

congratulations for Lithuanian forces!!! in its day of days and of course with new weapones!

Unicus Ac Immortalis II Dark Avenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
    More M113s? they are quite old, ex german. Plans tu replace them partially with wheeled IFVs/APCs, upgrade the rest. Those in your qouted pic are danish indeed, used by lithuanian soldiers.

M113s (about 250 alltoogether in the armed forces) in low low low rez.
    Thanks for the pics. I meant M113G3s as deployed in Iraq, but the G1s are OK too.
    Happy Armed Forces day, Lietuva!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
    Ha I believe I know this guy small world indeed.
    i know him too. he is a little di**head

My little contribution to this thread.
    Lithuanian cavalry in Afghanistan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1181 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	37216