Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Lithuanian defence forces

Quote Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
    We will increase PRT mission in Ghor province +20 troops this spring. Not much, but considering it's all pretty much quiet up there, around 160 troops will do the job with the help of other nations (numbering Ghor with 300 troops). Weekly patrols are conducted by regular troops, mostly formed on a battalion basis or Home Guard units.
    Do you have any information on what kind of help Lithuanians asked Ukrainians to provide? Our minister said that it wont be regular troops, but he didn't give any other details.

I think I know everything, but I don't lightfire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceriy View Post
    Do you have any information on what kind of help Lithuanians asked Ukrainians to provide? Our minister said that it wont be regular troops, but he didn't give any other details.
    Ukrainian general responsible for the NATO integration process (or smth like that) told that Ukraine will send troops from airmobile to Afghanistan this year. Not sure if that is ever going to happen, we'll see.

http://www.videogaga.lt/video?id=ofpffjpcgldcecjsmb
    someone please embed it normaly

Bang bang bang, grenade! bum! DDDD
    that economical crisis... we even save ammo and grenades

its just a "dry" training. common thing

Lithuanian L-39,

thanks to mr. didzgalvis for the photos

and it flies

Nice to see at least one Baltic state doing something about developing their air force. Are Lithuanians going to buy Aero L-159 Alca?

Quote Originally Posted by Papenheims View Post
    Nice to see at least one Baltic state doing something about developing their air force. Are Lithuanians going to buy Aero L-159 Alca?
    Well, to be honest, this is one of the 4 remaining L-39s ( a "Z") out of original 6. They've all been purchased in last decade, not much a development to tell the truth, at least in the fighter squadron.

with the current crisis and defence cuts, I doubt they are gona but L-159s, even though there was a serious though back few years ago. Simply, not enough funding and different priorities.

We bought 3 new C-27J Spartan transport planes for a nice bunch of money. They do cause some trouble since then, but certainly a needed replacement for An-26s.

The second priority is/was the helicopters for transport, SAR duties, SOF roles etc, but then again, it was planned for the next year and now, with the crisis there is no certainty.

So the current L-39s have been overhauled, modernized in Romania and put to service back again for pilot training. If you know, Baltic states are planing to ensure NATO air police mission until 2018 and only then aquire fighter jets.

Thoughts and conciderations have been made several times (if NATO refuses to conduct air police functions), thus all the fuss about possibility to work closelly with the Czechs and Swedes, concidering L-159 as a traner and Gripen as a fighter.

All Baltic countries have thought about that, but they do not wish to push things up - if NATO conduct air police role, there's no need for the fighters, thus keeping minimal training for the trainers (what L-39s are).

So we keep L-39s just in case and they are made as multirole trainer at it's limits (it can be used as light attack plane, train pilots, cooperation with the ground forces etc), but nothing really special. Not that we are reviving our aircraft industry and designing ANBO-XX

Ah, ok, Smartasses, some speculation news.

That's ACU, or ACUish new Lithuanian digital camo?

Very interesting really! but I doubt that this camo pattern will replace current one as it being used just for few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormaeglin View Post
    Very interesting really! but I doubt that this camo pattern will replace current one as it being used just for few years now.
    well, it could, since the commander of armed forces has hinted about digital camo a year or so back. The current pattern has been criticized for being too dark and suitable only for few months of the year and in particular enviroment. I have no problem with it, essp when it's a bit worn out, but apparently ACUish style in Afghanistan has impressed some.

For me it looks just like a soj fighter which can wear what he want. Where do you get that pic?

Quote Originally Posted by La Don View Post
    Nice training Booooom ! Ta Ta Ta Ta Ta.....

Quote Originally Posted by La Don View Post
    For me it looks just like a soj fighter which can wear what he want. Where do you get that pic?
    Could be, but doubt it. Besides SOP don't wear ACU anyway. Only when Lithuanian desert camies were new and unreliable "aitvarai" wore DCUs, but that was in 2002-2003.

source btw.

http://www.kam.lt/EasyAdmin/sys/files/46-49.pdf

He's a weapons expert and those are his photos as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Papenheims View Post
    Its wrong to say that Lithuania is the only country in Baltics whos doing something to develop their air force, atleast in Estonia we also had L-39s and were currently constructing a new military airfield what should be completed in 2010.