Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picture posting of SOF personnel

Default thanks

Royal, thankyou for doing your best to cut down on the unnecessary risks being faced by SF personel. Having had my face splatted all over tv in the past AND being made to give my name in open court where I was giving evidence its good to see someone trying their best to put things right. Thankyou sir!

I think I know everything, but I don't lightfire's Avatar

what about photos from official military journals,released by MODin the website (e.a. www.kam.lt) in pdf. format? It is hard to post them here,cause they R in langueage you would not understand So I placed those photos in photobucket (low res.,no faces seen),I repeat,they R from off. MOD web journal. Is it ok to post that here?
    over..

Look at Argyll's second post in this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Argyll
    Yep if they're released officially then yes ok.
    Your pics should be fine.

The moral of the story is, if you don't want unaltered photos of yourself on the Internet, do not post them there.

It doesn't matter where you post them or how private you think it is, once a photo is digitally reproduced on the Internet, it has the capability to spread anywhere and everywhere without your consent. This is what got those SEALs in trouble, this is what causes these sorts of problems on this forum.

It sucks, but if you feel the revelation of your identity poses a danger, then you may just need to not be taking pictures of yourself and your friends at "work" and passing them around. To anyone. The Internet presents a whole different landscape for security, both personal and operational, and we all have to think about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAR7242
    The moral of the story is, if you don't want unaltered photos of yourself on the Internet, do not post them there.

It doesn't matter where you post them or how private you think it is, once a photo is digitally reproduced on the Internet, it has the capability to spread anywhere and everywhere without your consent. This is what got those SEALs in trouble, this is what causes these sorts of problems on this forum.

It sucks, but if you feel the revelation of your identity poses a danger, then you may just need to not be taking pictures of yourself and your friends at "work" and passing them around. To anyone. The Internet presents a whole different landscape for security, both personal and operational, and we all have to think about these things.
    That sounds all well and good, but guys make a sacrifice. Some small measure of memory should not be the issue. Some of these pics were official photos meant for an internal OFFICIAL scrapbook to detail a Group's history. Let's not shift the blame. Stop pointing fingers at the operators. Next thing you'll know people will be blaming robberies on jewelry store owners for displaying their goods in the store window.

The blame is on those that posted the pics without permission and on the persons that refuse to do anything once they have been made well aware of the issue. To allow such actions to occur makes one part and parcel to the action and guilty as hell.

Cock Diesel & King of Amazing Analogies Baboonass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTAR7242

Yup.

If you put it out there, it's fair game, bad on you.

If it's OPSEC or PERSEC, then even worse on you.

Never-the-less, if you think it may be OPSEC or PERSEC, take a little personal responsiblity and don't post it, especially in an open source.

The mods have been working overtime to stem the flow of this, I applaud their efforts.

To those with questions please see:
    CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY OPSEC GUIDANCE - AUG 05
    THE VICE CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY - SENSITIVE PHOTOS - FEB 05

Quote Originally Posted by ibstolidude
    To those with questions please see:
    CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY OPSEC GUIDANCE - AUG 05
    THE VICE CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE ARMY - SENSITIVE PHOTOS - FEB 05
    Also see: ALMAR 007/04 - OPERATIONS SECURITY (OPSEC)

To me, it's not just about SOF personnel. Even if you are a regular joe in the forces, and you think it might not be prudent to post pictures of your work environment, don't.

It's about keeping security where it should be, and the Internet, well, let's just say that it's entirely possible to collate little bits here and there to form an average personal file on someone quite easily. The security landscape online is not something we should take for granted.

Read you PM and wind your neck in.

maybe if more people knew what opsec was and what it can do to people in the field, then they wouldnt post pics they get off of movies/tv shows... it would probally help if the spec ops and sf guys just wouldnt do interveiws or be in tv shows, but i dont think thats going to stop anytime soon...

Cock Diesel & King of Amazing Analogies Baboonass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snoddy View Post
    it would probally help if the spec ops and sf guys just wouldnt do interveiws or be in tv shows, but i dont think thats going to stop anytime soon...

It's not that simple.

Rarely, if ever, do SOF personnel volunteer to conduct interviews or t.v. shows. It's always something that has gone through channels and personnel are assigned to be interviewed or filmed. No one likes it, but it's part of the job.

i know this, i was simply using as a buffer for the next poor soul who posts a pic of one cause he thinks its cool.... i think more teaching on how it can effect people in the feild, kinda like what geraldo did and how he got kicked out of the country for it....

If all faces, insignia and distinguishing markings are blacked out, are pics of sf allowed to be posted without the consent of the operators?

Redneck & MP.net Dumbarse of the week 29 Jan - 2 Feb 07

Default I agree!

I agree, a lot of stuff winds up on the Net with OUT permission and can compromise ones ability and life. With all the reporters and media mixed in with some of our operators, its easy to get the wrong faces published. I watched a video yesterday of SOF and SAS personnel that was never to be released, it also included some CIA officers. There was a camera man present when a massive fight broke out at a prison camp, nobody noticed the reporter filming through out the fight and now the video is on liveleak. Those men are now targets for insurgents because of that video not to mention their cover is blown for good.

For those that are interested in very good quality photos of military operations and other good stuff, visit the Combat Camera Center web site or just go to DefenseLink, URLs below.
    http://www.dod.mil/multimedia/
    also
    you can request to be placed on the images mailing list at
    media@defenselink.mil
    All these images are screened and public, the Combat Camera Center imagry at the CCC web site is sensitive and raw thus you need to obtain credentials to login to the web site. They explain it on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Guys,once again the PERSEC issue has been raised pertaining to this site about the posting of pics of SOF operators without permission,or against the wishes of particular forums.

It must stop immediately or there is a good chance Hood will recieve unwanted Government attention.If you have pics of SOF and you want to post them here,then I want either Deuterium or myself to be able to contact the owners of the pics to make sure it's ok to publish.

Spare me this crap about stuff on the internet is in the public domain,it's not public if you have to register and enter via a password!!!
    Last edited by KevinNardelle; 01-29-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo - OUR should have been OUT