Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picture posting of SOF personnel

If all faces, insignia and distinguishing markings are blacked out, are pics of sf allowed to be posted without the consent of the operators?

Redneck & MP.net Dumbarse of the week 29 Jan - 2 Feb 07

Default I agree!

I agree, a lot of stuff winds up on the Net with OUT permission and can compromise ones ability and life. With all the reporters and media mixed in with some of our operators, its easy to get the wrong faces published. I watched a video yesterday of SOF and SAS personnel that was never to be released, it also included some CIA officers. There was a camera man present when a massive fight broke out at a prison camp, nobody noticed the reporter filming through out the fight and now the video is on liveleak. Those men are now targets for insurgents because of that video not to mention their cover is blown for good.

For those that are interested in very good quality photos of military operations and other good stuff, visit the Combat Camera Center web site or just go to DefenseLink, URLs below.
    http://www.dod.mil/multimedia/
    also
    you can request to be placed on the images mailing list at
    media@defenselink.mil
    All these images are screened and public, the Combat Camera Center imagry at the CCC web site is sensitive and raw thus you need to obtain credentials to login to the web site. They explain it on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Guys,once again the PERSEC issue has been raised pertaining to this site about the posting of pics of SOF operators without permission,or against the wishes of particular forums.

It must stop immediately or there is a good chance Hood will recieve unwanted Government attention.If you have pics of SOF and you want to post them here,then I want either Deuterium or myself to be able to contact the owners of the pics to make sure it's ok to publish.

Spare me this crap about stuff on the internet is in the public domain,it's not public if you have to register and enter via a password!!!
    Last edited by KevinNardelle; 01-29-2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo - OUR should have been OUT

idiot savant with a ban stick

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNardelle View Post
    I agree, a lot of stuff winds up on the Net with OUR permission and can compromise ones ability and life. With all the reporters and media mixed in with some of our operators, its easy to get the wrong faces published. I watched a video yesterday of SOF and SAS personnel that was never to be released, it also included some CIA officers. There was a camera man present when a massive fight broke out at a prison camp, nobody noticed the reporter filming through out the fight and now the video is on liveleak. Those men are now targets for insurgents because of that video not to mention their cover is blown for good.

For those that are interested in very good quality photos of military operations and other good stuff, visit the Combat Camera Center web site or just go to DefenseLink, URLs below.
    http://www.dod.mil/multimedia/
    also
    you can request to be placed on the images mailing list at
    media@defenselink.mil
    All these images are screened and public, the Combat Camera Center imagry at the CCC web site is sensitive and raw thus you need to obtain credentials to login to the web site. They explain it on their site.
    By OUR permission.. who do you think you mean?

what if their posted on public profiles on myspace?
    if i black out the faces, rank, name and insignia is that, ok to post?

Check with a Mod - depends who posted them on myspace...

Default Sof Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Guys,once again the PERSEC issue has been raised pertaining to this site about the posting of pics of SOF operators without permission,or against the wishes of particular forums.

It must stop immediately or there is a good chance Hood will recieve unwanted Government attention.If you have pics of SOF and you want to post them here,then I want either Deuterium or myself to be able to contact the owners of the pics to make sure it's ok to publish.

Spare me this crap about stuff on the internet is in the public domain,it's not public if you have to register and enter via a password!!!
    Truly there shouldn't be any at all.It would reduce fears,moderation problems etc. Security would be boosted hundredfold.

Cock Diesel & King of Amazing Analogies Baboonass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    what if their posted on public profiles on myspace?
    if i black out the faces, rank, name and insignia is that, ok to post?
    How about asking the user if it's o.k. to post his/her personnal pictures on another site?

Seems like a logical step.

Default contact

Quote Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
    How about asking the user if it's o.k. to post his/her personnal pictures on another site?

Seems like a logical step.
    How would you contact them?Since they are SOF personel, non SOF personnel could not contact them right? Its not logical after all!

Cock Diesel & King of Amazing Analogies Baboonass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aclamus View Post
    How would you contact them?Since they are SOF personel, non SOF personnel could not contact them right? Its not logical after all!

If it's on myspace, a public website, then you can send them a PM and ask them.

Why wouldn't you be able to ask them?

Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    Only that aclamus is several sandwhiches short of a pick-nick...

The OPSEC/PERSEC issues do not just apply to UK and US pax - they apply to all members of the Coalition.

The way I see it, all photos of all personnal posted on this site, or any other for that matter, should have the faces blurred!!! Who is to say in five years time, that chap in the photo of an Infantry section wont pass selection and enter the world of SOF. If you post a picture of anyone unblurred, you put there families and them at risk!!

Blokes need to sort there lives out and post only blurred Photos of others, or post only pics of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by exrecce View Post
    The way I see it, all photos of all personnal posted on this site, or any other for that matter, should have the faces blurred!!! Who is to say in five years time, that chap in the photo of an Infantry section wont pass selection and enter the world of SOF. If you post a picture of anyone unblurred, you put there families and them at risk!!

Blokes need to sort there lives out and post only blurred Photos of others, or post only pics of themselves.
    I've got a better idea, let's just close the whole site done.

Seriously, some people's faces shouldn't be shown, but let's be reasonable.
    Last edited by baboon6; 05-21-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Default This isnt a joke

i was watching the military channel the other day and there was a show on sf and i was able to id a few of the operators due to pics posted on this site

Quote Originally Posted by exrecce View Post

I have to agree with you on this. Bluring everyones face would solve the issue.