Thread: SEALs

Quote Originally Posted by Laconian View Post
    Helps him look at the world through rose-colored glasses...Seriously it makes things a tad sharper.
    x2

- Amber or Yellow lenses: intended for use in flat to hazy light conditions; offer high contrast by filtering out the blue light.

- Pink or Vermilion lenses: intended for use in in foggy or gray conditions increasing contrast and depth perception. Useful for winter sports.

When BUD/S instructors selected, do they get orderes to go to NSWC or is it if they "wish to do so" ?

Also, the official plans of the Navy is to increase the number of SEALs by 2012 without lowering th extremely high standard of it's elite Frogmen. But if I recal corectly, one of the "SOF truths" is that "SOF can not be mass produced".
    A lot of SEALs might be dangerous ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
    It varied.

There were a number of "push" classes when the upper managment wanted numbers in the teams. BUD/S wasn't any easier, they just wanted more people to go through BUD/s. Still, durring the push classes, some asshats would slip through the cracks that had to be delt with at the team level.

Anyway, it was around 10-15% after BUD/S.

I figure that percentage hasn't changed at all. BUD/S is a proving ground to see if you can take what is dished out to you. At the team leval, they test that theory. It can be very brutal.

Mistakes in BUD/S may cause some personal or class leval discomfort, instructors are constantly watching you to make certain you don't do anything outragously stupid.

Mistakes at the team leval can or will get you, your teams mate, or your entire platoon killed. The margin for error is very slim, and not very well tolerated. Your learning curve needs to be fast and hard. There is a lot to learn in a short amount of time, and you had better retain this information and practice it untill you become near expert in it.

Training and proving yourself never ends, there is no "slack" period.
    Can members be peered out? I know we do that here. Even long after training is complete, members can still be peered out.

Cock Diesel & King of Amazing Analogies Baboonass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete031 View Post
    Can members be peered out? I know we do that here. Even long after training is complete, members can still be peered out.

Yup.

It has become more complex over the years, but it still happens.

The Chiefs in the team a perspective frogman is going to already knows the reputations they gained in BUD/S and know who is going to last and who needs to be weeded out. SOmetimes there are suprizes, guys that shined in BUD/S end up throwing their rucksack down the hall, guys who really struggled in BUD/S end up excelling in the teams, you just never really know.

Yeah, we call them glowsticks.... Shine bright for 8 ours or so and then dull right out. I think it is a good system as long as it doesn't get abused. And as long as there is a sufficient warning period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
    When BUD/S instructors selected, do they get orderes to go to NSWC or is it if they "wish to do so" ?

Also, the official plans of the Navy is to increase the number of SEALs by 2012 without lowering th extremely high standard of it's elite Frogmen. But if I recal corectly, one of the "SOF truths" is that "SOF can not be mass produced".
    A lot of SEALs might be dangerous ?

BUD/S instructors are rotated in when they have to or want to perform a shore duty billit.

Official plans change with the winds or political climate. Mass producitng SOF untis is simply a bad idea all around. All it does is force more sub-groups of SOF units.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete031 View Post
    Yeah, we call them glowsticks.... Shine bright for 8 ours or so and then dull right out. I think it is a good system as long as it doesn't get abused. And as long as there is a sufficient warning period.

There is.

Unless it's a major safety/security violation, there is a long process and plenty of second chances.

Some guys get caught up in the "hey, I've proved myself in BUD/S, time to lay back and be the cool guy". They end up getting a knot jerked through their butts pretty quick, some take a few knocks to the head before it sinks in.

Type A personalities.

Hey Match...Can you tell me what is that bottle for on the back is used for of the operator firing at the target with the SIG..

Is it for short term underwater breathing?

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikec62001 View Post
    Hey Match...Can you tell me what is that bottle for on the back is used for of the operator firing at the target with the SIG..

Is it for short term underwater breathing?

Cheers

Mike
    It looks like second chance air.

Probably a safety measure implemented after the helo accident in 98. I whole heartedly agree with this concept.

I never saw these durring my time in.

Banned user

Matchanu, good to see you're still alive.

It's a HEEDs for just that reason. I wore/wear one when doing HVBSS. With 14 fully kitted out dudes crammed in a 60 getting out is not exactly a quick process. Also had a pilot "loose horizon" on NODs which motivated me to wear one.

Peace at home, peace in the world

Does any one have a US NAVY SEALS photo for the desktop

search this thread... I'm sure you will find one.

Peace at home, peace in the world

man im new here...can u help me pls :S

Quote Originally Posted by BMF_EOD View Post
    It's a HEEDs for just that reason. I wore/wear one when doing HVBSS. With 14 fully kitted out dudes crammed in a 60 getting out is not exactly a quick process. Also had a pilot "loose horizon" on NODs which motivated me to wear one.

Heh heh.

I was a helo sniper for a couple of platoons, I built my own headset for helo and saber comms.

We were doing night HVBSS ops with no horizon (marine layer), after listening to the pilots in near freak out, I unpluged the ICS system for my headset.

I'd rather not see (hear) it comming I guess.