Page 180 of 193 FirstFirst ... 80130170172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188190 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 2895

Thread: South African National Defence Force

Quote Originally Posted by dangamvura View Post
    have you read this entire discussion? the truth seems to hurt
    Are you trying to be deliberately obtuse. Please quote me one link on this page where there are facts and figures backing up your assertions.

And please , do not go full butthurt on me , because I do not have an opinion on this matter and are simply pointing out here that you are making the case. Now own up on your facts and your references.

Banned user

no worries man, my line is simply that the SANDF is a poor shadow of its former self - don't need to be an expert to see it, anyone living in SA who watches the news knows it, never mind those still in the system. Read my previous posts for a few figures - google if you like. If you're in SA, you know what I'm talking about anyway. have a nice wkend

SANDF is a poor shadow of its former self
    This is the problem here. There is no former SANDF.

That is why everybody is **** here on checking your facts...

Out

Banned user

without wanting to be controversial, I find it hard to respect the current SA military forces - particularly in light of stats like 40% HIV positive members in SANDF, and the SAS Manthatisi, SANavy's new sub - being sailed into a quay, damaging it before it was even deployed. The SA Air force apparently doesn't have enough pilots to fly the Grippens it ordered either. But then I suppose we can always ask the Cubans to do it for us...
    At least they are still better off than the Congolese Army

african military forces should take it seriously the way they run their organisations,see also the way kenyan army is poorly performing combating alshabaab in somali.they started with so much bravado about taking the fight to the alshabaab stronghold (kismayo) but upto now their progress has just stalled

Quote Originally Posted by maumau View Post
    african military forces should take it seriously the way they run their organisations,see also the way kenyan army is poorly performing combating alshabaab in somali.they started with so much bravado about taking the fight to the alshabaab stronghold (kismayo) but upto now their progress has just stalled
    As I've decided after his first response to Maktab to not respond to Dangamvura, at least I can respond to this post!
    Not making any excuses for the military inneptness or not of any african countries (or for than matter many other countries in the world), kindly please keep in mind that politically in many countries with unstable democracies, or authoritarian goverments, it is not expedient to have strong militaries, as they have a re-occuring habit of replacing the local leaders. You'll find a long list of countries around the world that did make this mistake, and woke up one morning with a col or cpl in charge of the country. It is much cleverer having a military that is strong enough to control a country internally and maintain the status quo, but too weak to take over or being able to stand against your friendly neighbours when they come helping after you've been overthrown.
    And for the balance/rest we'll put it down to being lovers rather than fighters!

true,africans politics is undermining african militaries,also the so called secrecy within the military apparatus has hidden corruption,illegal arms dealing where african militaries are used as end -use certificate.but in end this lay back mentality is becaming detrimental to security of this african,with the new emerging threats e.g what is happening in nigeria with boko haram and kenya with the alshabaab.armies that didn't put more enphasis to asymmetric warfare are now finding that they need to change their tactics and weapons procurements.thank for your input ,its better to talk about finding solutions than differing.

[*******#333333]I was going through some of my grandfather's stuff and found a picture of a mercenary who had worked in Angola and South Africa. This, and his name were the only things written under the picture. Can anybody identify him?

[/COLOR]
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Default Sandf - unamid

2 August 2010. Kutum: South African contingent based in UNAMID Kutum camp site. In the picture, Deputy commander Liutenant Justin Heath, from Boksburg (Johanesburg), married with another South African military. He was in the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC (Congo) for 7 months. He is patroling in Tiksas, a village abandoned by the population some years ago due to the war in Darfur.

Default Sandf - unamid

[FONT=Verdana]South African Soldiers based at Kutum Camp while serving with UNAMID during a vehicle patrol in and around thevillage of Kambut , near Kutum 3rd August 2010 [/FONT]

Default Sandf - unamid

[FONT=Verdana]South African Soldiers serving with UNAMID during a Medal Parade in Kutum 17th March 2011[/FONT]

Default Sandf - unamid

[FONT=Verdana]South African troops serving with UNAMID celebrate their national Women's Day in Kutum (North Darfur). 8th August 2011[/FONT]

Interesting FB page to all those SADF vets and anyone interested,lots of pics and info.http://www.facebook.com/groups/grens...group_activity

Quote Originally Posted by AtK View Post
    Can anyone tell what vehicle this is? Found it on a SADF related site.
    This is an Sesspir. It was used with 101 Bn. Callsign 17. Was with Bravo coy. Had an Hispano 20mm cannon flanked by 2 x .30 brownings. Photo taken by me

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Swan101 View Post
    This is an Sesspir. It was used with 101 Bn. Callsign 17. Was with Bravo coy. Had an Hispano 20mm cannon flanked by 2 x .30 brownings. Photo taken by me
    Interesting. Welcome aboard.

Do you know how many were built?
    What was the reason behind it, and what did it perform like?