Page 193 of 193 FirstFirst ... 93143183185186187188189190191192193
Results 2,881 to 2,887 of 2887

Thread: South African National Defence Force

Check the Impala attrition summaries. Quite a few were hit by SA-7s.

http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airf...n-summaries/56

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Kat View Post
    List off all SAAF Puma losses. Could be more detailed regarding the type of enemy AAA encountered http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airf...n-summaries/56
    Pumas were pretty difficult to hit with SAMS due to low level flying, but that made the more vulnerable to ground fire.

The Ops Uric (Puma 164) one a total bloody fluke to hit with an RPG while in flight, the AK round one was even more a goddam bloody fluke.

The Ops Meebos one should reportedly never have happened as Recces warned about emplaced AA guns in a base in the area and somehow the SAAF never got the warning or ignored it. I think it was hit with 23 mm or 14.5 mm rounds, anniversary was yesterday

Here's the Dakota that was hit.

The back story to the loss of Puma 134 during Ops Savannah is quite interesting. I was privileged to know the pilots Captains John Milbank and Chris Hartzenberg.

5 Pumas lost in the Bush War, quite amazing really if you consider the actions, weapons and opponents faced. Speaks huge volumes about the professionalism of the blue jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Africanadian View Post
    5 Pumas lost in the Bush War, quite amazing really if you consider the actions, weapons and opponents faced. Speaks huge volumes about the professionalism of the blue jobs.
    Having worked and flown with the the "blue jobs" they are indeed very professional, both the fixed and rotary wing guys.

BTW Puma 122 was shot down by our own AA which was quite sad.

No argument on the SA-7 Strela, those were without a doubt used in large numbers by the Angolan/Cuban side in the Border War. I was referring only to the Igla as not having seen service there.

My knowledge of Eastern Bloc MANPAD launchers isn't great, can someone confirm whether the launcher the SANDF soldier is carrying is a Strela or Igla?

Quote Originally Posted by Maktab View Post
    No argument on the SA-7 Strela, those were without a doubt used in large numbers by the Angolan/Cuban side in the Border War. I was referring only to the Igla as not having seen service there.

My knowledge of Eastern Bloc MANPAD launchers isn't great, can someone confirm whether the launcher the SANDF soldier is carrying is a Strela or Igla?
    Yeah I think thats a Strela judging by pics on wiki.