Page 105 of 195 FirstFirst ... 55595979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2925

Thread: South African National Defence Force

  1. #1561
    Member Piepalook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa wondering if i will be alive tomorrow
    Posts
    230

    Default

    My mother might still have photo's of us on operations.

    If i can find it i will post them.

    One advantage of being on horseback was that a horse could smell a landmine from a mile away.

    No horse ever detonated a mine.

    In that respect we were lucky.

    Luckier than most anyway.

  2. #1562
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    4,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piepalook View Post
    What i find extremely strange, is Wouter Basson's trail.
    Everybody in the ANC was positive they would find him guilty.

    In the end he got off scott free.
    He used to spend weekends on a game farm with me during his first trail.

    He always knew he would not be found guilty.
    What i can tell you is that strange things happened at Roodeplaat dam.

    That is where the biological warfare programme was run by him.
    Even today it officially does not exist.
    Well, in Magnus Malan's autobiography he mentions that people came to speak to Nelson Mandela to tell him that our CBW programme was ahead of that of the USA, and then Mandela personally went against policy and rehired Basson into the SANDF with a R50 000 salary a month. He is: The Man Who Knows Too Much! It was suggested by certain Western governments that he should rather be assassinated, but I guess Mandela chose the non-violent route...

  3. #1563
    Member Piepalook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa wondering if i will be alive tomorrow
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    Well, in Magnus Malan's autobiography he mentions that people came to speak to tell Nelson Mandela to tell him that our CBW programme was ahead of that of the USA, and then Mandela personally went against policy and rehired Basson into the SANDF with a R50 000 salary a month. He is: The Man Who Knows Too Much! It was suggested by certain Western governments that he should rather be assassinated, but I guess Mandela chose the forgiving route...
    I think that the ANC could use a man with talents such as his.

    A remarkable man.

    He is also a heart surgeon.
    Amazing but true.

    He devised ways of killing that other countries do not even dream of.

    I cannot see the ANC getting rid of talent such as his.
    They might need him in future.

  4. #1564
    Senior Member GETSOME's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SOME WHERE OVER THE RAINBOW...
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piepalook View Post
    I was in 6SAI Grahamstown July 79 intake.

    After infantry basics i was selected to join the SADF Equestrian centre in Potchefstroom.(Horse soldier, not motorbikes)

    We were the first unit in the SADF to be issued with the R5 rifles (Galil)
    because of the folding stock.
    It was a better rifle than the R1 (Belgian FN) because the rifle was more comfortable to cart around on horseback.

    I was in platoon 17 based in sector 10 Kaokoland Namibia (SWA)

    The base was at a villiage called Etengua .
    2 SAI Walvis Bay 9 months infantry training,then to Oshikati 9 months,then Rundu 3months. 83236174BT
    86 Intake

  5. #1565
    Senior Member GETSOME's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SOME WHERE OVER THE RAINBOW...
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piepalook View Post
    My mother might still have photo's of us on operations.

    If i can find it i will post them.

    One advantage of being on horseback was that a horse could smell a landmine from a mile away.

    No horse ever detonated a mine.

    In that respect we were lucky.

    Luckier than most anyway.
    I remember in Sector 10,we spent a few days at Okatopi Ranch,**** those horses, you dont hear them until they are on top of you

  6. #1566
    Member Piepalook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa wondering if i will be alive tomorrow
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GETSOME View Post
    2 SAI Walvis Bay 9 months infantry training,then to Oshikati 9 months,then Rundu 3months. 83236174BT
    86 Intake
    Are you still in the country?
    Seems that most people left.

    I stay in Parys in the Free state.

    Too old or to stubborn to leave.

  7. #1567
    Member Piepalook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa wondering if i will be alive tomorrow
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GETSOME View Post
    I remember in Sector 10,we spent a few days at Okatopi Ranch,**** those horses, you dont hear them until they are on top of you
    That was why they were so successfull.

    Quiet.
    Fast.

    They used to warn us of danger.
    They could also smell a terr from a mile off.

    They used to pull their ears back, when there was danger.
    Then we would be on guard.

    For bush fighting there is nothing like a war horse.

  8. #1568
    Member TGVorster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Safrica
    Posts
    67

    Default

    As an acredited researcher with the SANDF DocC I can tell you pretty much any thing is fair game. If you have the time you will be able to find your whole record. If I for instance asked for your record alot will be ommited but if the bloke about who it is asks it wont. Remember my explanation on the freedom of information act.

    I know a few blokes who worked with Wouter. He wasn't busted on his so called human rights abuses rather for the 2 million tablets of E he had in his car's boot. They just tried to knock him on the former and when that flopped the drug charge seemed trivial.

    I have requested masses of once very sensisitive documents and the stuff is being declassified as we speak. War diaries, the basis of any historian's research, made up the bulk of the documents and hey wouldn't you know it they are declassifying it.

    In fact they are declassifying whole collections of documents. For instance in the case of Cuito the so called JF Huyser collection which contains no less than 150 documents including SitReps, Y Reports, the Army's official histories of the operations, War Diaries, reports on doctrinal development, etc, etc. I have also been told that the Army HQ List and some other lists are also now avialable. I have also requested the War Diaries for Sector 10 and 20 for the period 1978-1989 and the for some of the earlier operations such as Askari, Protea and Diasy.

    The declassifying will take long however and I welcome this new proposed act as it will cut down alot on time. It will also give you access to the about 45 million boxes of documents that the Doc Cen has in storage.

  9. #1569
    Member Piepalook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa wondering if i will be alive tomorrow
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGVorster View Post
    As an acredited researcher with the SANDF DocC I can tell you pretty much any thing is fair game. If you have the time you will be able to find your whole record. If I for instance asked for your record alot will be ommited but if the bloke about who it is asks it wont. Remember my explanation on the freedom of information act.

    I know a few blokes who worked with Wouter. He wasn't busted on his so called human rights abuses rather for the 2 million tablets of E he had in his car's boot. They just tried to knock him on the former and when that flopped the drug charge seemed trivial.

    I have requested masses of once very sensisitive documents and the stuff is being declassified as we speak. War diaries, the basis of any historian's research, made up the bulk of the documents and hey wouldn't you know it they are declassifying it.

    In fact they are declassifying whole collections of documents. For instance in the case of Cuito the so called JF Huyser collection which contains no less than 150 documents including SitReps, Y Reports, the Army's official histories of the operations, War Diaries, reports on doctrinal development, etc, etc. I have also been told that the Army HQ List and some other lists are also now avialable. I have also requested the War Diaries for Sector 10 and 20 for the period 1978-1989 and the for some of the earlier operations such as Askari, Protea and Diasy.

    The declassifying will take long however and I welcome this new proposed act as it will cut down alot on time. It will also give you access to the about 45 million boxes of documents that the Doc Cen has in storage.
    The 2 million tablets of E was supposed to go to the people of Mitchells plain.(on government orders)
    Happy people do not riot!

    Are you writing a book?

    We need to set the record straight on the battle of Cuito Canevalle.
    The ANC wants to hi-jack that one!

    We had quite a skirmish once at Etengua base. It was in 1985 i think.
    I did a camp with Durban regiment at the time.
    Never read anything about that.
    Sam Njoma's dessert troops attacked us that night.
    (they did not expect to find battle hardened veterans there!)
    Needless to say we gave them a hiding!

    There i saw the most incredible thing in my life.
    A koevoet guy shooting a Ovambo at 300 metres in the knee, with an AK 47.
    ( after he told us he is going to go for the knee.The Ovambo was running diagonally from us.) it was text book shooting.

    The Ovambo in question was there to look after the army donkeys.
    In the rainy season the donkeys were used to bring supplies in to us.
    The only Ovambo around for miles.
    He used the army donkeys to transport Swapo's heavy equipment to our base so that Swapo could attack us.

  10. #1570
    Member cold_warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the now Zambia-Zaire border to discuss Federal intervention in the Congo Crisis
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGVorster View Post
    As an acredited researcher with the SANDF DocC I can tell you pretty much any thing is fair game. If you have the time you will be able to find your whole record. If I for instance asked for your record alot will be ommited but if the bloke about who it is asks it wont. Remember my explanation on the freedom of information act.

    I know a few blokes who worked with Wouter. He wasn't busted on his so called human rights abuses rather for the 2 million tablets of E he had in his car's boot. They just tried to knock him on the former and when that flopped the drug charge seemed trivial.

    I have requested masses of once very sensisitive documents and the stuff is being declassified as we speak. War diaries, the basis of any historian's research, made up the bulk of the documents and hey wouldn't you know it they are declassifying it.

    In fact they are declassifying whole collections of documents. For instance in the case of Cuito the so called JF Huyser collection which contains no less than 150 documents including SitReps, Y Reports, the Army's official histories of the operations, War Diaries, reports on doctrinal development, etc, etc. I have also been told that the Army HQ List and some other lists are also now avialable. I have also requested the War Diaries for Sector 10 and 20 for the period 1978-1989 and the for some of the earlier operations such as Askari, Protea and Diasy.

    The declassifying will take long however and I welcome this new proposed act as it will cut down alot on time. It will also give you access to the about 45 million boxes of documents that the Doc Cen has in storage.
    That's good to hear, thanks for your work. I'd like to see a history of the whole situation that goes beyond "Nelson Mandela: wasn't he a great guy?," which seems to be all we can get in the States.

  11. #1571
    Member TGVorster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Safrica
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Thanks guys. Yes I am writing a book been at it for about two years now, but only started taking off now. Will keep you boys posted.

  12. #1572
    Member Piepalook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa wondering if i will be alive tomorrow
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGVorster View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes I am writing a book been at it for about two years now, but only started taking off now. Will keep you boys posted.
    I read a book a while ago called :"from afkak to bosbefok!"Some girl wrote it.She quoted a few guys like Jeremy Mansfield from radio Highveld.A real wusy book in some respects.She quoted a lot of **********s as well.They, however were not in the thick of it.Mostly clerks and tampax tiffies. Made fun of us mostly (Afrikaners)I would like to read yours.We need to put a lot in perspective.I wish you all the best with the book.

  13. #1573
    Member TGVorster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Safrica
    Posts
    67

    Default

    She is Jeremy Mansfield's wife writing under her maiden name.

    I am actualy busy with three books. The first will be a straight shooting history at tactical level with personal experiences of vets added in of Ops Modular/Hooper/Packer. The second will be the history of 61 Mech. The last depends on how many inputs I get from the vets and will be a compilation of viewpoints and experiences from Ops Modular/Hooper/Packer under specific headings.

    Thank you for the support hope I wont dissapoint.

  14. #1574
    Member Piepalook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa wondering if i will be alive tomorrow
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGVorster View Post
    She is Jeremy Mansfield's wife writing under her maiden name.

    I am actualy busy with three books. The first will be a straight shooting history at tactical level with personal experiences of vets added in of Ops Modular/Hooper/Packer. The second will be the history of 61 Mech. The last depends on how many inputs I get from the vets and will be a compilation of viewpoints and experiences from Ops Modular/Hooper/Packer under specific headings.

    Thank you for the support hope I wont dissapoint.
    Please do not forget about Cuito Canevalle.The ANC is so desperate for a military victory that they are distorting the facts.They were not even involved in that battle.Is there some way also that you can honor the fallen SADF soldiers?Their names do not appear anywhere.The ANC saw to that.Only their soldiers names on the wall of remembrance.We should never forget them.I had some friends that died there.

  15. #1575
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    4,068

    Default

    Can't wait for the books. Most of you guys did your service to the country and received no recognition, that's a disgrace.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •