Page 109 of 193 FirstFirst ... 95999101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2887

Thread: South African National Defence Force

On the now Zambia-Zaire border to discuss Federal intervention in the Congo Crisis

I've wondered the same thing about the US Army and the G6 - why spend billions of dollars on the Crusader or the NLOSC when there's already a battle proven solution available?

Of course politics would get in the way. Congress would be against it because it's not "Made in 'Merica," and I'll bet that the ANC would oppose selling it because of the US involvement in Iraq.

yeah seeing the americans have fought against our weapons over there G5 and the likes

Not sure why one thing to remember that most of South Africa's armour and weapons are all battle tested and proved themselves more than up of the job at hand Good examples are the Rattel, eland, casper and i could carry on but i guess you get the point. And a the top of the food chain is the Rooikat.

i would agree the other countries should look at adopting the KAT seeing that most of the combat zones are much the same enviroment that our weapond were developed in. just makes sense here you have a battle ready AFV that can with stand the terran you are working in would be cheaper to buy instead of develop

ROOITKAT 76MM. Don't you think the Rooikat is a bit long in the tooth. They have been around since 1988 (?). Technolgy has changed since then. A serious upgrade could possibly make a difference, but the armour protection is on the limit, driveline is suspect, etc, etc.

ATK

There have been improvements to the rooikat in the past to the engine suspention gun control system etc. etc. not sure as of late of any other improvements to the KAT. But what i have seen on other AFV's is the shape of the rooikat been used on others or the other way around not sure on that.

I feel the power plant could be bigger than the existing v10 though

Bar Fly, Junior Sleuth and MP.Net flat-pack furniture consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by cold_warrior View Post
    I've wondered the same thing about the US Army and the G6 - why spend billions of dollars on the Crusader or the NLOSC when there's already a battle proven solution available?

Of course politics would get in the way. Congress would be against it because it's not "Made in 'Merica," and I'll bet that the ANC would oppose selling it because of the US involvement in Iraq.
    Stryker Mxxxx SPH will feature Denel's G-7 howitzer.

Default Rail System for Galil/ R4 /R5

Hi guys, I know this is a bit off topic but im hoping there are more SA guys on this thread than the others.. I found this pic of an R5 (Or is it a Galil) on the web and am really interested in the rail system. Anyone know anything about it? I have done the usual google searches and searched mp.net for Galil accessories etc but havent found much. I think this particular weapon is from the US, but dont know any more than that. It also appears to be a "civvie" weapon as it doesnt seem to have full auto option on the fire selector. I am dead keen to get my hands on that top rail..It would send the rest of the guys in my Regiment round the bend.. Anyone have any further info on it?
    Thanks

Yup, definitely an LM5, rather than an R5. Looks like the piston guide tube's been silver soldered onto the gas block at the front to provide a stable platform for the rail. A friend of mine who's a gunsmith has done something similar with his LM6. I'll send you some pics later tonight if you want to have a look.

Have you got a link to the original site?

yip Playtym is right

see the pic the pistol grip is straight on the R5
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by ROOIKAT 76MM View Post
    yip Playtym is right

see the pic the pistol grip is straight on the R5
    So is the one in the pic Snake Doctor posted, it's just got a slip on grip cover over it. Only "S" and "R" are marked on the selector - an R5 would also have the "A" marked.

sorry i did not see that looked like the grip was made like that

Quote Originally Posted by playtym View Post
    Yup, definitely an LM5, rather than an R5. Looks like the piston guide tube's been silver soldered onto the gas block at the front to provide a stable platform for the rail. A friend of mine who's a gunsmith has done something similar with his LM6. I'll send you some pics later tonight if you want to have a look.

Have you got a link to the original site?
    Thanks Playtym, Id like to see those pics sometime. I dont remember where I found that pic unfortunately. I think it was on a US Galil owners type site. They have done a nice job though. There are some really odd rail systems available for Galil weapons but they all look a bit finicky. This is the best one I have seen - plain and simple. The eotech sights work well, but I have only ever seen 1 here in SA, on an SAPS MP5, it was a private purchase.. Im a bit puzzled about how practical soldering the piston guide tube would be.I tried to zoom up the pic to have a closer look but couldnt see much. And thinking about it more, everytime you ***** the weapon you would have to remove the rail, Im not sure if its such a good idea now. Neither my Issue R4 nor my mates LM have the "ring"behind the rear sight. Not quite sure on what that is..

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Doctor View Post
    Thanks Playtym, Id like to see those pics sometime. I dont remember where I found that pic unfortunately. I think it was on a US Galil owners type site. They have done a nice job though. There are some really odd rail systems available for Galil weapons but they all look a bit finicky. This is the best one I have seen - plain and simple. The eotech sights work well, but I have only ever seen 1 here in SA, on an SAPS MP5, it was a private purchase.. Im a bit puzzled about how practical soldering the piston guide tube would be.I tried to zoom up the pic to have a closer look but couldnt see much. And thinking about it more, everytime you ***** the weapon you would have to remove the rail, Im not sure if its such a good idea now. Neither my Issue R4 nor my mates LM have the "ring"behind the rear sight. Not quite sure on what that is..
    I'm just guessing that the guide tube has been soldered onto the gas block - I'm basing this on the odd colouration that you can see there - I'm assuming it's damaged the finish when they did it.
    The rail is probably attached to the gas tube by a saddle - so to remove it you just undo some grub screws and it comes off with the dust cover. Again, I'm just guessing.

I don't have a clue regarding the ring behind the rear sight - it's definitely not standard. I thought an attachment point for a sling, but there's already one on the back of the receiver. The dust covers not the most secure place to attach your sling either, so I'm guessing it's for something else, but don't know what.

TGVorster: Do know if anyone is planning to write or has written a book on the history of 4 SA Inf Bn/62 Mech Gn grp

Finland has just started to investigate Patria for bribery allegations on a Slovenian and a Egyptian arms deal. Anyone want bet money on when the SA Army deal gets a closer look?
    http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...0-ec082ff629c6

Quote Originally Posted by HammockWarrior View Post
    Finland has just started to investigate Patria for bribery allegations on a Slovenian and a Egyptian arms deal. Anyone want bet money on when the SA Army deal gets a closer look?
    http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...0-ec082ff629c6
    Was it the same deal or what?