Page 80 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3070727374757677787980818283848586878890130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2900

Thread: South African National Defence Force

Sorry if my question is stupid but, I knoe Erasmus, but what are the "Erasmus Years"?

Quote Originally Posted by exT70 View Post
    No. Categorically no!
    The black troops today are as good, if not a lot better, than the previous generation. Look at the old SADF and look as some of the so-called elite units and who staffed them.
    There is nothing wrong with the troops. To quote: "You don't get bad troops, only bad leadership". Troops only become a problem if they are allowed to.
    It is rather a matter of political will, defined aims, quality control, etc.
    And even though it was before my time, I think the erstwhile (SA)UDF (UnionDefForce) and SADF went through similar times (called the "Erasmus Years"). What does annoy me however is that the higher echelons are in denail in this regard.

Default Morale and efficiency of SANDF

I did my National Service in 1991/ 1992 at 21 SAI Lenasia and apart from the officer core the whole unit was black.

During 1991 the then SADF started with the integration of the historical freedom fighter military units into the SADF.

I kicked off with 50 recruits to my platoon and by mid 1992 when I left there were 32 fully trained and efficient infantrymen left in my platoon, they were trained in both COIN Urban and Rural warfare. I have worked with both whites and blacks in operational situation and to me there was very little difference between the them, the only difference could be marksmanship.

From 50 to 32:
    3 X KIA (two was shot by corrupt riot control policemen and one by a gang)
    5 X AIDS (accordingto some recent repots it remains the greatest threat to our armed forces)
    8 X Fell off the wagon
    2 X Deserters
    Training was reletively easy since most of them has undergone some sort of military training before, we brought a lot of structure and discipline to them which made them even more efficient in their respective roles.

There was a crminal element at the time which were involved in bank robberies etc. and I believe that those elements are responsible for the hi level of cash intransit hijacking we have in ZA.

There are a couple of problems in the SANDF:
    AWOL
    Sick leave - According to sme report we hit a record low a couple of months ago wih more than 30% of the SANDF on sick leave

Quote Originally Posted by teutateswolf-n View Post
    Sorry if my question is stupid but, I knoe Erasmus, but what are the "Erasmus Years"?
    The "Erasmus Years" is the period during which a certain "clever" chap with the surname Erasmus served as SA Min of Defence and decided that there will never ever again be any war or threat in the world (and against South Africa in particular) and did his best to get rid of any SAfrican defensive capability. The defence force under him became a lame duck and had to be totally rebuilt to fix the institutionalised problems.

Fell of the wagon?!
    I'm not sure if it's because of English that is not my native language, but what do you mean? These 8 guys died because they fell from the truck?

And 2 deserters! But, were they volunteers? If yes, why did they not simply left their job at the army?

Finally, 5 from AIDS,... wow, that really a lot. If it's like that in every unit, it's really a big threat to your manpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattpanex View Post
    I did my National Service in 1991/ 1992 at 21 SAI Lenasia and apart from the officer core the whole unit was black.

During 1991 the then SADF started with the integration of the historical freedom fighter military units into the SADF.

I kicked off with 50 recruits to my platoon and by mid 1992 when I left there were 32 fully trained and efficient infantrymen left in my platoon, they were trained in both COIN Urban and Rural warfare. I have worked with both whites and blacks in operational situation and to me there was very little difference between the them, the only difference could be marksmanship.

From 50 to 32:
    3 X KIA (two was shot by corrupt riot control policemen and one by a gang)

5 X AIDS (accordingto some recent repots it remains the greatest threat to our armed forces)

8 X Fell off the wagon

2 X Deserters
    Training was reletively easy since most of them has undergone some sort of military training before, we brought a lot of structure and discipline to them which made them even more efficient in their respective roles.

There was a crminal element at the time which were involved in bank robberies etc. and I believe that those elements are responsible for the hi level of cash intransit hijacking we have in ZA.

There are a couple of problems in the SANDF:
    AWOL

Sick leave - According to sme report we hit a record low a couple of months ago wih more than 30% of the SANDF on sick leave

Thanks for your information.
    When was it?

The "Erasmus Years" is the period during which a certain "clever" chap with the surname Erasmus served as SA Min of Defence and decided that there will never ever again be any war or threat in the world (and against South Africa in particular) and did his best to get rid of any SAfrican defensive capability. The defence force under him became a lame duck and had to be totally rebuilt to fix the institutionalised problems.

Quote Originally Posted by teutateswolf-n View Post
    Fell of the wagon?!
    I'm not sure if it's because of English that is not my native language, but what do you mean? These 8 guys died because they fell from the truck?
    English is a funny language, I don't blame you for thinking they fell off a truck and died. It could also mean that they were alchoholics who returned to drinking, but I think in this case he means that they didn't make it through training.

Fell off the wagon - Did not make the grade

Yes, they were volunteers, but they had a contract and most of the time they took their whole kit (incl. rifle) with them once they deserted.

I guess it was a way of getting something you needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mattpanex View Post
    Fell off the wagon - Did not make the grade

Yes, they were volunteers, but they had a contract and most of the time they took their whole kit (incl. rifle) with them once they deserted.

I guess it was a way of getting something you needed
    You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Those 8 guys didn't fall off the wagon, they were just equiping themselves for their future jobs as CIT robbers!!

Yep, getting what you needed

while we are here chatting about the efficiency of the current crop of troops...what is the average age of the troopie in the SANDF at the moment anyone have any ideas?

Also those who served in the mid 1980s will agree that the level of discipline enjoyed during those times even though we were national servicemen far exceeds that of the current army, the CIT references serves to re-enforce this.

Quote Originally Posted by sierratango View Post
    while we are here chatting about the efficiency of the current crop of troops...what is the average age of the troopie in the SANDF at the moment anyone have any ideas?

Also those who served in the mid 1980s will agree that the level of discipline enjoyed during those times even though we were national servicemen far exceeds that of the current army, the CIT references serves to re-enforce this.
    [*******black]Ave age. Can't give you a definite number, but until very recently (and currently) that was one of the biggest problems the SANDF was facing. It had/has no exit strategy (at least which it can publicise) for integration members. This led to the MSD System (sort of voluntary national service) being implemented. A very large % of the troops therefore now deployed are MSDS member. With the influx of 18 to early20somethings the ave age has drastically decreased. It has however proven quite difficult to get rid of the "old wood". You therefore still get 45year old troops floating around. Virtually no new members are at present getting old style PF contracts, only short term ones that can be cancelled as you get too old for you pay grade.[/COLOR]
    [*******black]Discipline is something totally different. Unfortunately it is a sad reflection on our society, not just the military. Look around you everywhere. Do you remember schools in the early 80's? Society in general. By late 80's discipline in the army was already more lax than before. It is now a big problem though, and, as I stated above, it is a matter of political will. Every new chief of the army/staff etc has the same story: "I will sort this problem out". And the result stays the same. Nothing done. A zero tolerance policy is however slowly being implemented (see comments re: exit strategy above), but this leads to many other problems as there is not a lot of scope for discretion. I don’t want all my rifleman to be sweet angels...they are soldiers after all.[/COLOR]
    [*******black]We are however also now living in a human rights obsessed litigious society. Most of the stuff done in your day would land you in jail today. Add the whole race and *** issue to this as well (and not just black/white, but different tribes, groupings, sexes etc), and you can imagine the potential mess. It is not just the army that has changed, but society in general as well. However, no denying it, there are discipline problems, just don’t take the media too seriously. In the old days the army could do no wrong (regime press) or right (liberal press), you chose your newspaper for the version you wanted. Now it is simpler. The SANDF cannot do anything right. The media is mostly out to portray the SANDF as negatively as possible, despite a lot of positives mixed in with the negative.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by exT70; 03-23-2007 at 10:36 AM.

This is what I was alluding to in my post above. F. C. Erasmus became Minister of Defence in 1948 and immediately launched a vendetta against officers who were seen as too "English" or British-oriented. Maj. Gen. Everard Poole, who was Deputy Chief of General Staff and scheduled to take over as CGS (head of Defence Force at that time), was promptly sent off as SA Representative to the Allied Control Commission for Berlin. Poole was probably our best officer in WW2 and commanded the 6th SA Armoured Div in Italy. There were other examples such as Jimmy Durrant who I mentioned above. He resigned as Director-General of the SAAF citing "irreconcilable differences with the Minister of Defence". Other officers were sacked in the infamous "Midnight Ride" in 1953- dispatch riders took the involuntary retirement papers to the men's homes during the evening.

There was a general attempt to "de-Anglicize" the SADF. Defence spending was cut, ranks were changed (most reverted to the old ones within a few years, except for Commandant- today Lt.Col. again), and attempts were made to marginalise some of the traditional "English" regiments (nevermind that a large percentage of their men were Afrikaans-speaking). Erasmus had a particular problem with the Imperial Light Horse who he wanted to disband totally. Eventually they were kept on as the Light Horse Regiment. Thankfully by the early 1960s common sense had returned to a large degree.

Bar Fly, Junior Sleuth and MP.Net flat-pack furniture consultant.

Hoefyster team awaits go-ahead
    South African acquisition officials are hoping that they will "soon" receive authorisation to go ahead with the much-delayed new-generation Project Hoefyster infantry combat vehicle (ICV).The joint Armscor/South African National Defence Force project team has negotiated a best price offer from a Denel-led consortium of ZAR8.4 billion (USD1.15 billion) for 264 vehicles in five different configurations.

[QUOTE=exT70;2371940]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warford View Post
    ...here's another pic of the Mk1B Upgrade that includes a look at a 105mm APFSDS round:

Jim
    I must really get a new wide-angle lens, those black roundings are starting to work on my own nerves.
    Will post better pic of those 105 HESH and FS rounds in front as soon as I get time to photobucket again.
    More pics at the thread below. You might however already have them from Tanknet.
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...=101872&page=7

When it comes to designations the Olifant has really become a product of the thirdworld country we are. The orignal 1B, of which 148, 44 or just a few (less than 10, maybe under 5, who knows) were buildt (take your pick which number, but 1Tk Reg is still driving Mk1A's..., you be the judge) were to be built in a number of guises. I got to play with and test prototypes of the 1B many moons ago (gunnery and sights), but the final specs I do not know, and have not been able to find. I never used or worked on the completed Mk1B. The Mk2 (and to further confuse the issue, I'll call it the "X") was to have a totally new turret with lots of nice toys, with the gun upgradeable to a 120, fitted to an upgraded Cent hull. It was this vehicle that was believed to be purchased when Hoefyster was canned/delayed again a year or what ago and the money transferred to the Olifant upgrade. The Mk2 (I'll call this one the "Y") that was however exhibited at AAD06, and which I photographed, is seemingly a mix between the two. Not a new turret, but all the "X's" new turret's toys stuck to the Cent turret. How many of what version used, buildt, converted or whatever, I'll believe when I see the "tenkblad" at School of Armour filled with then, and I see 1Tk Reg using them at Seboka.
    And that was my verbose bit for today.
    ExT70: thanks for the info...so the tank shown in your "black roundings" pics is the more modern Mk 2, not an upgraded Mk 1B...or are they one in the same? Also, do you have a good pic of the Rooikat 105 shown at the exhibition?

[quote=Jim Warford;2389372]

ExT70: thanks for the info...so the tank shown in your "black roundings" pics is the more modern Mk 2, not an upgraded Mk 1B...or are they one in the same? Also, do you have a good pic of the Rooikat 105 shown at the exhibition?
    [*******black][FONT=Verdana]Exactly where one should draw the line between the various upgrades would only become clear once upgraded vehicles start coming into service. As the Mk1B never became a general issue vehicle, officially it would seem that the answer to this question would remain one for guesswork and opinions. In the same vane, until such a time at the so called Mk2 comes into service we won’t know what precisely constitutes the Mk2, and even thereafter we won’t be able to compare it with the Mk1B, because we don’t know exactly what the Mk1B was supposed to have been. Makes any sense?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******black][FONT=Verdana]Back to gross personal conjecture not backed by any personal knowledge: the initial Mk1B’s that I saw (1990) had upgraded hull (armour and all automotive gear) and uparmoured turret. The “inside workings” (FCS etc) were still basically the same as that of the Mk1A that I served on at the time. During that timeframe I got to play with some of the stuff then in development and testing (and thus not in the then Mk1B), which were mostly gunnery and turret inside related. On the “Mk2” being first shown, it seemed that the idea was for a totally new turret (TTD type/spin-off) on an upgraded Mk1B hull. On the “Mk2” shown at AAD’06, this was not the case. Only an extensively upgraded Centurion turret. But with lots of new toys inside (which were not on the 1B when I saw it many, many moons ago). Starting with commander’s sight system (hunter/killer ability)(easiest ID of what seem to be dif between Mk1B and Mk2 on photos) and ending with different stab motors on the floor. The turret add-ons also for some reason looked different from what I remembered from the Mk1B, but can’t specify why (17years ago), just a feeling. Would also hazard a guess the composites used in the “boxes” would be different.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******black][FONT=Verdana]Saw you got a Rooikat 105 pic up on Tanknet.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******black][FONT=Verdana]Unfortunate did not get a good pic (1 only) of the Rooikat from the outside (sun from behind veh, taking pic into sun, so did not try too hard), but took quite a couple inside etc. Had very limited time during AAD06. Will remedy that this year. Despite what the info board says, I seriously doubt that the veh at AAD06 was the 105 version. Barrel does not look like the 105 one. I have pics of the breech etc as well, and it looks like the plain 76breech. But then again, the GT7 105 might look like the GT4 76. I don’t know.[/FONT][/COLOR]