Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 170

Thread: Muskö - underground navalbase

  1. #76
    Banned user Uninen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    Ive watched this topic for a long time, and while i do admit the facility is intressing and impressive i find the fact that you post the pics here foolish and also lots more could have been done to conceal the enterances from satellite / aerial photography...

  2. #77
    Senior Member signatory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terra firma
    Posts
    10,694

    Default



    Muskö is and was never a visual secret. It's protected area, quite different.
    The photos have been cleared by the military by non-objection.

    + only in post coldwar years have satellite imagery become good enough to see (unimportant) details of the base. All secret sites would be blocked in public aerial and satellite footage, as they are.

  3. #78
    Banned user Uninen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    If you consider that from those pics you can chose a weapon and trajectory for it to use to hit the tunnels to make the collapse or even hit the vessels inside then fine, its "unimportant", futhermore why do on all the trouble of building a vast installation like this and not to try camouflage the enterances and exits of it. Especially as it would have been very easy and inexpensive to make them so or and camouflage them that it would be harder to detect and target them from air.

  4. #79
    Senior Member Luno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,571

    Default

    Muskö is like Rödbergsfortet an old dinosaur from the Coldwar and there is nothing secret about it anymore.

  5. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    4,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luno
    Muskö is like Rödbergsfortet an old dinosaur from the Coldwar and there is nothing secret about it anymore.
    Actually alot about the base is secret, however the base itself and some parts of it isn't.

  6. #81
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default





  7. #82
    Senior Member signatory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terra firma
    Posts
    10,694

  8. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Siste svensk tar flaggan med sig.
    Posts
    5,937

    Default

    Nice pics. Which sub is this?


  9. #84
    Senior Member signatory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terra firma
    Posts
    10,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection
    Nice pics. Which sub is this?

    Probably one of the Södermanland class subs, as it has 6x53cm tubes

    Ed: googled up a pic. on this pic the top is not mounted...


  10. #85
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by signatory
    Probably one of the Södermanland class subs, as it has 6x53cm tubes

    Ed: googled up a pic. on this pic the top is not mounted...

    I think it´s definetily a Gotland-class. Gotland has 4x533mm + 2x400mm torpedoetubes while Södermanland has 6x533 + 3x400mm.

    In the pic you see 4+2 torpedoetubes and the front looks like a Gotland.


  11. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Siste svensk tar flaggan med sig.
    Posts
    5,937

    Default

    Any specific reason why Gotland has fewer torpedo tubes than the previous classes? More focus on stealthy intelligence gathering than direct action I'm guessing?

  12. #87
    Senior Member signatory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terra firma
    Posts
    10,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bofors
    I think it´s definetily a Gotland-class. Gotland has 4x533mm + 2x400mm torpedoetubes while Södermanland has 6x533 + 3x400mm.

    In the pic you see 4+2 torpedoetubes and the front looks like a Gotland.

    Gotland only has 4 x 53cm tubes in the bow tho. and 2 x 40mm in the aft. The pic show 6 x 53cm in the bow...

  13. #88
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by signatory
    Gotland only has 4 x 53cm tubes in the bow tho. and 2 x 40mm in the aft. The pic show 6 x 53cm in the bow...
    No way. No modern sub has tubes in the aft. What you are seing is 4x53cm and 2x40cm. I have the drawings of Gotland and Södermanland in front of me.

  14. #89
    Senior Member signatory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terra firma
    Posts
    10,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bofors
    No way. No modern sub has tubes in the aft. What you are seing is 4x53cm and 2x40cm. I have the drawings of Gotland and Södermanland in front of me.
    Yeah you're right I dunno what I was thinking. too hot and beer and w/e

  15. #90
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection
    Any specific reason why Gotland has fewer torpedo tubes than the previous classes? More focus on stealthy intelligence gathering than direct action I'm guessing?
    AFAIK it was originally to save money. But with the new modern torpedoes and new tactics there´s no need for so many tubes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •