Thread: Yum Kippur War

Buenos Aires in body, the beautiful and green Sharon in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Camera View Post
    Thank you very much, Climber.

ADDITION: Yes, the text is poetic and your translation is good and very inspired.
    What made you think the author was from Argentina? Is there something in the Spanish language he used? Or only the fact that the Argentinian community in Israel was the biggest of Spanish speaking Olim?
    The speaker speaks in a neutral Spanish, but the wording sound like the letter was written by an Argentine. As I said in PM to GBFXST, all those words made me remember that time, My family used those words, the feeling was that. I don't know if its a real letter or just a work for the film, but the feeling is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber View Post
    The speaker speaks in a neutral Spanish, but the wording sound like the letter was written by an Argentine. As I said in PM to GBFXST, all those words made me remember that time, My family used those words, the feeling was that. I don't know if its a real letter or just a work for the film, but the feeling is right.
    Yeah, the content also is right. It depicts the reality of the period as we lived it.

Not lousy at all, its a letter and very poetic. Very sad indeed.
    The speaker is a tanker. For the accent I am sure the speaker is Argentine.
    It made me cry, and made me remember my cousin Uri.
    You guys have made be both laugh and cry today. The choice of Adagio was especially moving and perfectly suited for the footage and narration. The ending where you see the panoramic view and he says Tachziku Maamad ... just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by gangplank6 View Post
    You guys have made be both laugh and cry today. The choice of Adagio was especially moving and perfectly suited for the footage and narration. The ending where you see the panoramic view and he says Tachziku Maamad ... just amazing.
    I agree very emotional footage.

@Climber, again thank you so very much to take the time and effort to translate the audio portion!

Quote Originally Posted by GB_FXST View Post
    I agree very emotional footage.

@Climber, again thank you so very much to take the time and effort to translate the audio portion!
    I am working on the second part now.

Sometime ago i saw a girl that made me remember Dinah, a volunteer that came to work on a Kibbutz, why is she here? She said that she couldn't stay in America, She have to do something, there are many like her, Students, Professionals, bussines men and women, from England and other parts of Europe, from the United states, from everywhere, they fill the vacant jobs in the city and in the fields, we really need them, and we gratefully respect them, and about you, I know you could't came, but I know you were with us, spiritually, from the first time, when everybody abandoned us, you love, your affect, your support more than ever, was what made us keep going on the worse times, I really know we were on your hearts, and believe me, you also were on ours, maybe here is the essence of everything, the intense feeling of unity, you, us, Israel. I felt it very strong some days, when we finally were coming back to our base. Our bus, stopped in a kibbutz, and there, like in many places in Israel, the people prepared food and drinks under the trees, for the soldiers. It was erev shabbat, there was sandwichs, wine, and hot coffee. I don't know why but suddenly I felt tears in my eyes, I felt everybody so close, the girls that were serving us the food, the kibbutznikims, the crazy soldiers from this crazy civilian army, I wanted to hug everyone and everybody, and I am sure I wasn't the only one that felt like that. That way, we shared everything, good and bad, nobody here is an isolated being, what affects one, affects everybody, and slowly, gradually we are starting to discover the real cost of this war, inside us, its burns like a white hot iron, In teh Hospitals, the injured guys, laugh and flirt with the nurses, their moral looks good, but after what happened, I really don't know how they do it.

Meanwhile, now, I am laying at the sunlight, touching the ground with my fingers.......I am alive..........I am whole..........I am happy about it, but I can't forget what others endured, what others gave. All kinds of thoughts came to my mind, about this country, the hard time we are living, nothing will be the same as it was, and I ask myself repeatedly, where are we going, and the meaning of all of this, and curiously, this war, to me, brought Israel closer to my heart, my bonds with my country, today, are deeper than ever, closer than ever. I look Ruthy, and the little ones, I look around me, and after all, even all, this is teh best place for them to grow up.
    Well, what else to say, We love you, we miss you, and like we say here, Up with the hearts (Tachsiku ma'amad)........
    Well after finishing, Its clear that the letter was written for the documentary, i don't believe its an actual letter. And It could have been written in Hebrew and translated to many languages.

Anyway, I liked it, it made me to remember forgotten feelings, people that's not here anymore, people that paid the ultimate price to give me the possibility of being what I am. They give me the possibility of having a family, everything.
    Gracias.

Well after finishing, Its clear that the letter was written for the documentary, i don't believe its an actual letter. And It could have been written in Hebrew and translated to many languages.

Anyway, I liked it, it made me to remember forgotten feelings, people that's not here anymore, people that paid the ultimate price to give me the possibility of being what I am. They give me the possibility of having a family, everything.
    Gracias.
    The first part of the text, the one you translated yesterday, was better and seemed more authentic. I think it was this second part with its patriotic message that gave me the impression the voiceover was lousy, even if I did not understand the contact. It smells the “Jewish Agency“, which contributed to finance the documentary.

The roller credits “A. Rosenthal“ for writing the narrative.
    Was the letter a real or not?
    I agree with you, it was written for the, to match its editing.
    But the author could have started with a real letter, or even with more than one real letter, to render its text more authentic, and then could have adapted it for the film editing, and then aded some additional texts, necessity to the documentary. (I know what I'm saying, I'm in the movies business.)

Thank you for sharing with us the time you spent to translate the content. And toda raba for your great job.

Quote Originally Posted by rolist View Post
    http://www.421.co.il/ for those who understand Hebrew, addtional footage of communication was added to the veb site
    Rollist,
    The footage you aded from the communication networks is incredible. All the events — that occurred from towing the crossing equipment at 15/16 October night to the battles on the West Bank at 16 and 17 October — are there.
    Also, your site made a great job on the quality of the presentation — edition of the recordings, the visual illustrations, the subtitles… All that contributes to the clarity.

I believe it is very useful to all those who are interested in History. The authentic material is so valuable, because their are so many books with mistakes and even the memory of those who have been there sometime fails after all those years.
    One example: I remember few years ago a discussion between veterans on Fresh forum. Most of them pretended that in the morning of October 16, there were AT ambushes on Akavish road. Other veterans pretended it was not the case and that the road was completely open. And here, on your footage, one can hear the voices on the networks of the officers that were involved in rescuing battalion commander Ben Shoshan and the 2 other tanks of his battalion ambusehd on Akavish in the morning of October 16!

Thank you and go on with this great job!
    Last edited by Camera; 06-16-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Not 100% related to this thread, yet couldn't find a better place to post this:
    War of Attrition - new pictures posted in Ynet.

Original (Hebrew):
    http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4082921,00.html

Google Translated:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Swarovski.

Quote Originally Posted by Camera View Post
    Rollist,
    The footage you aded from the communication networks is incredible. All the events — that occurred from towing the crossing equipment at 15/16 October night to the battles on the West Bank at 16 and 17 October — are there.
    Also, your site made a great job on the quality of the presentation — edition of the recordings, the visual illustrations, the subtitles… All that contributes to the clarity.

I believe it is very useful to all those who are interested in History. The authentic material is so valuable, because their are so many books with mistakes and even the memory of those who have been there sometime fails after all those years.
    One example: I remember few years ago a discussion between veterans on Fresh forum. Most of them pretended that in the morning of October 16, there were AT ambushes on Akavish road. Other veterans pretended it was not the case and that the road was completely open. And here, on your footage, one can hear the voices on the networks of the officers that were involved in rescuing battalion commander Ben Shoshan and the 2 other tanks of his battalion ambusehd on Akavish in the morning of October 16!

Thank you and go on with this great job!
    Many thanks for your kind words
    The crossing actually started very early morning -

Default Unreleased amateur footage from the Syrian front 1973

Amos Yodan was in an holiday visit in Israel when the war started. He joined his reserve unit, recce company of armor Brigade 4, part of Peled's Division. His brigade participated in pushing the Syrian forces back on the Golan and in the counter attack inside Syrian territory.
    During the war he used his personal 8mm camera to film.

The following 48 minutes film includes all the footage taken by Amos during the war and after the cease-fire deep inside Syrian territory.
    The pictures are commented by Amos Yodan and Giora Ashkenazi, the commander of his recce company. They give many details about the war, the places seen in the footage, and their comrades which appear in the film, some of them were killed later during the fightings. The comments are in HEBREW.

The film starts with both men presenting themselves, and the historical footage starts in the 6th minute with some family vacation pictures taken by Amos before the war erupted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4FbeLg8Q#at=15
    Last edited by Camera; 07-25-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

Unbelievable footage. Love the "coos emuck, dafku li et ha loof." at 15:50. Also the Mirage drop tank in the mutsav near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by camera View Post
    amos yodan was in an holiday visit in israel when the war started. He jointed his reserve unit, recce company of armor brigade 4, part peled's division. His brigade participated in pushing the syrian forces back on the golan and in the counter attack inside syrian territory.
    During the war he used his personal 8mm to film.

The following 48 minutes film includes all the footage taken by amos during the war and after the cease-fire deep in syrian territory.
    The pictures are commented by amos amos yodan and giora ashkenazi, the commander of the recce company. They give many details about the war, the places seen in the footage, and their comrades filmed, some of them were killed later during the fightings. The comments are in hebrew.

The film starts with both men presenting themselves, and the historical footage starts minute 6 with some family vacation footage taken before the war erupted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4fbelg8q#at=15
    [*******black][font=times new roman]
    [*******black][font=times new roman]what a documented piece of history thanks for sharing it with us [/font][/color]
    [*******black][font=times new roman]as a tankie in who was in the southern, i can see a lot of similarities as to how poorly we were prepared [/font][/color]
    [*******black][font=times new roman] [/font][/color]
    [/font][/color]

Very interesting video.

I found this too to be interesting as Sabena is reunited with her letter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQl1...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by GB_FXST View Post
    Very interesting video.

I found this too to be interesting as Sabena is reunited with her letter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQl1...eature=related
    Well we should explain in few words what is it about for the members that do not understand Hebrew.
    These are two short reports from Israeli Channel 10, each of them is 5 minutes long.

In the first report, some veteran friends of Amos watch the footage. At one moment, we see a Syrian captured BTR and we see a close-up of an hand written letter in Hebrew by a child. The veterans of Amos' company tell that they found the letter in a Syrian BTR with other goods previously captured by the Syrian crew in an Israeli fort on the Golan. The letter which Amos filmed in a close-up, written by an Israeli child to a soldier, was inside a kitbag.

In the second report, Amos meets with Sabena, the woman who wrote the letter. Back in 1973, she was 10-11 years old.
    Last edited by Camera; 07-27-2011 at 09:10 AM.