Thread: Yum Kippur War

Hi,
    Thought I recognised that photo. As I indicated earlier, it is an Egyptian soldier and an Egyptian bridge. The photo appeared in the hardback edition, published in 1975, of the book by the Insight Team of the Sunday Times called the "Yom Kippur War". The caption to the photo reads "Short lived moment of joy for Egyptian troops when they first crossed over to Sinai. Israel's failure to prepare for war and the profusion of Egypt's new weapons, destroyed Israeli defence plans." I am not saying I particularly agree with the caption, but that is what it says.
    Cheers
    Marsh
    Last edited by Marsh; 07-06-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: clumsy fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    Hi,
    I am pretty sure that the soldier is Egyptian. Look at the shade of the uniform, its cut, the outline of the helmet and the weapon the soldier is carrying.
    cheers
    Marsh
    You're right Mash,
    I thought that the Egyptian army did not posses Carl Gustav m/45 submachineguns but now I see that they used a local copy carried by the soldier in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by malioni91 View Post
    they used a local copy carried by the soldier in the photo.
    aka the "Port Said".
    was very popular among PLO fighters in the 70's.

Senior Member Fat Lazy American's Avatar

Anonymous Egyptian Soldier looks like Jamie Farr.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    Hi,
    Thought I recognised that photo. As I indicated earlier, it is an Egyptian soldier and an Egyptian bridge. The photo appeared in the hardback edition, published in 1975, of the book by the Insight Team of the Sunday Times called the "Yom Kippur War". The caption to the photo reads "Short lived moment of joy for Egyptian troops when they first crossed over to Sinai. Israel's failure to prepare for war and the profusion of Egypt's new weapons, destroyed Israeli defence plans." I am not saying I particularly agree with the caption, but that is what it says.
    Cheers
    Marsh
    The pic was first published in the Egyptian Al Mussawer magazine in Jan 1974 following the disengagement agreement.

Thanks a million guys, I think it was really a propaganda shot, as all Egyptian Armed Forces in 1973 war were using AK-74 not port-said machine gun.

Thanks again

Another question please, this photo was uploaded on this thread many pages behind, it represents an EAF MiG-21 downed in flames after being hit on 19 Oct. 1973, the shot was taken by a member of the 14th Brigade, Do you have any details about this? How it was shot? the battle name if possible? Pilot destiny? ... etc

Quote Originally Posted by strategist View Post
    Another question please, this photo was uploaded on this thread many pages behind, it represents an EAF MiG-21 downed in flames after being hit on 19 Oct. 1973, the shot was taken by a member of the 14th Brigade, Do you have any details about this? How it was shot? the battle name if possible? Pilot destiny? ... etc

Hi,
    Here you can find all the Israeli AA kills in 1973. In 19 Oct. 1973 the IAF shot down 2 Mig-21. Both kills were scored by U.Aven-Nir but other information is missing.
    Here's the link:
    http://s188567700.online.de/CMS/inde...=199&Itemid=47

Hi,
    Here you can find all the Israeli AA kills in 1973. In 19 Oct. 1973 the IAF shot down 2 Mig-21. Both kills were scored by U.Aven-Nir but other information is missing.
    Here's the link:
    http://s188567700.online.de/CMS/inde...=199&Itemid=47
    Thanks for attention, but beware that on ACIG, entries in white colour means "Claims & Unconfirmed".
    Also, some say it was downed by AAA from the ground

A small country that makes a lot of noise

Quote Originally Posted by strategist View Post

Who is the guy with Sharon in the last pic?
    Haim Bar-Lev.

The photo was taken during the Battle of the Chinese Farm? Cauze I see that Sharon is wounded.

A small country that makes a lot of noise

The photo was taken during the Battle of the Chinese Farm? Cauze I see that Sharon is wounded.
    I believe so.

IDF Destroyed tank, Sinai:

President Sadat saluting Gr.39 Commandos:

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

People gathered at the Suez Canal banks to celebrate the re-open of the canal in 1975: