Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prostitution now punishable under UCMJ

Default Prostitution now punishable under UCMJ

January 24, 2006

Patronizing **********s just got more costly
    New rule means those convicted face dishonorable discharge, jail

By Karen Jowers
    Marine Corps Times staff writer

Service members now may pay dearly for hiring a **********.
    Under a change in the Manual for Courts-Martial, troops who patronize **********s can receive a dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances and up to a year in jail.

“Before now, there was no explicit prohibition on patronizing a **********,” said Eugene Fidell, president of the National Institute of Military Justice. “It’s clear they’re getting serious about this. I think it’s a sign of changing values in our society, including military society. Once upon a time, this kind of thing was rampant, like heavy drinking and smoking.”

The punishment for hiring a ********** is now the same as the punishment for being a **********.

The change took effect Nov. 13 but received renewed emphasis by the Pentagon after President Bush signed a law Jan. 10 containing various provisions designed to combat human trafficking, which is heavily tied to prostitution.

Defense officials had no statistics available on the number of courts-martial for patronizing **********s since the change went into effect.

But it applies in all cases, even if a service member visits a legal brothel, regardless of local domestic or foreign law, said Pentagon spokeswoman Air Force Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke.

The change is the latest in a series of actions taken by the Defense Department to address the problem of human trafficking. Officials distributed an education program to the services at the end of November 2004 called “Trafficking in Persons Awareness Training,” Krenke said, and are in the process of adapting the interactive training to the military branches’ individual service Knowledge Online distribution systems.

Training in 4 areas

The training covers four basic areas: U.S. and Defense Department policy on human trafficking; the origins of the trafficking phenomenon; detection of trafficking; and legal provisions of trafficking.

Officials said they are clamping down on prostitution because it is the main fuel for the human trafficking industry — the illegal practice of procuring human beings for unpaid work in physically abusive settings and locations and forcing them to stay there.

Most women involved in prostitution are doing so against their will. Even by simply patronizing a ***** club or bar that allows prostitution, individuals are supporting the worldwide human trafficking industry, officials said.

The law signed by Bush requires the Defense Department to incorporate anti-trafficking and protection measures in areas following armed conflicts and during humanitarian emergencies, especially for women and children.

Lawmakers noted that “foreign policy and foreign aid professionals increasingly recognize the increased activity of human traffickers in post-conflict settings and during humanitarian emergencies.”

The law also requires the secretary of state and the head of the U.S. Agency for International Development to work with the defense secretary to conduct a study of the threat and practice of trafficking in people that is generated after armed conflicts and humanitarian crises in foreign countries.

I can see lots of very busy lawyers around military bases with this one..
    I wonder if that includes the legal ones in Nevada? Can you get busted for doing something that's "legal"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrakitten
    I can see lots of very busy lawyers around military bases with this one..
    I wonder if that includes the legal ones in Nevada? Can you get busted for doing something that's "legal"?
    In countries where it is legal the US troops can still be prosecuted for going to **********s so I would think the same still applies in Nevada.

I see unit moral headed strait down the toilet.

So are they going to discharge everyone in Korea? Don't they have better things to do?

Actually upon closer inspection of the UCMJ there are A LOT of things that are illegal which would make you scratch your head.

Its best to be prepared. Its not like illegality has ever stopped visiting prostitution before. They tried to do the same with WW2 and Vietnam and they were big flops, hence STDs taking more troops out than the enemy.

Subic Bay BTDT's care to comment, come on, you have barfined plenty.

I would love to post some personal pics from my good friend, Gunny "J" (he hates his wife anyway) but I must follow the rules of the board.

A buddy of mine went there on Holiday, Guns says " if any kids look like me, please buy them lunch"

hahahaha ****ing marines
    Last edited by Futile Talisman; 01-25-2006 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique
    I see unit moral headed strait down the toilet.
    Yep, , a prediction that will come to fruition.

Making things illegal that you cannot stop just leads to people breaking them anyway, and thus being an exersise in futility.

In all manner of unsuitable locations, usually at night, invariably with a number of ladies.

Will they be ordered to *********e instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael RVR
    Making things illegal that you cannot stop just leads to people breaking them anyway, and thus being an exersise in futility.
    ? you only agree on laws that no one would break anyway ?

It's not a individual law anyway it's a code of conduct, and obviously the military do not want their men to visit brothels with all the negative impact it could raise, including OPSEC.

there will still be plenty of girls @ bars as soon as you bring out the dollars...

Dang, I guess this means I've got to stop man-whoring.......

I'm just kidding. I've got a beautiful wife and a kid on the way.

About 90% of my platoon spent the most part of a day in a brothel in Panama City, Panama, when we were last there... long time ago... those guys came back with some stories... anyway, there are a lot of privaleges from being a civilian you loose once your in the military. I remmber the list of places that were off limits to us while I was serving... just the way things are. I had always though that it was against the rules to pay for luvin... guess I was wrong all of those years ago... anyway, a lot of people will learn to get around this... hell I know guys at Bragg, who got out of trouble just from DWIs... and that's a tuff thing to get out of in the Army...

"The law signed by Bush requires the Defense Department to incorporate anti-trafficking and protection measures in areas following armed conflicts and during humanitarian emergencies, especially for women and children."

maybe this doesn't apply in regular liberty ports or in CONUS? otherwise impossible to enforce...

WestPac memories

pattaya - sabailand - enough said
    olongopo - you pay my bar fine?
    hong kong
    singapore
    perth

it's funny because my friend from Hong Kong had always said how strict and pure Singapore was but the first time I got in a taxi the driver asked if I wanted an "office girl" - my friend said I must just look like the kind of guy who would want one!