Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alice Pack Mods

Default Alice Pack Mods

I'm having my Alice Pack modified at General Jackson's here in Fayetteville (Fort Bragg Area) for the Q-course. I'm having fastex style quick release buckles added along with 3 extra pouches (indicated by the "red Xs" in the picture).

I'm curious to know if anyone here has modified their rucksacks and how useful they have found it to be. Any suggestions on what to get/do and not get/do would be very helpful.

I am also considering the addition of a zipper to the top flap, a storm flap with a draw cord closure, and buying new hip and shoulder pads. I'd also like to extend the top flap, but do not know where in the Fort Bragg area I can get this done. The following website has some of the modifications I am considering: http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/alicepacks.shtml

Thank you in advance for any advice that may be given.

the alice pack I used for the longest time, I put candian forces shoulder pads on it. worked a heck of a lot better then the junk flap ones that came with it. though I'm sure that's something you've already replaced by now if you're getting ready for a q-course.
    Greg

chillin at FT Livingroom with my M2004A1 Lazyboy

Have you tried tactical tailor? They might take a little bit but if you got the time, its worth it.

The TT Super Straps I've heard are really good.

Why pay to get it done when you can do alot of it yourself?
    All you need is a couple of spare packs and a sewing awl

Will put some pics up when i find the camera
    Last edited by 2/1kiwi; 01-30-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Tactical Tailor has a good buncha mods that you've already seen.

Simple shiit I've done is limited to getting one of the newer style straps, cutting off the hardware, and duct taping it to the intersection of bars on the frame, right in the middle, between the frame and your back. That has helped alot. Before that, I used to get my spine pretty scraped up when I had to haul more weight, since it pushes the frame out against your back.

Other than that, I just duct taped some chemlights to the half-circle bars behind the waist/kidney pad.

If you can't do what MrSkorotsnoy was talking about for the frame, 'acquire' yourself one of the old sleep mats, the green foam ones and cut out the appropriate sized rectangle for the frame and duct tape it in there. I've done that to my ruck and it helps considerably.

+1--The first "mod" I did to my ruck the first time I was issued one and it makes a big difference. And cheap and easy too!

At one point I had straps for an e-tool and 2-qt added to keep them from bouncing, sort of like TT's e-tool mod. That GI 2-qt pouch sucks!

Those extra pouches will come in handy. I also had the two long ones on either side and the 2 quart and e-tool straps, but they didn't quite look like the ones in the pictures, then again this was back in the early 90's. I highly recommend those super straps as well, they look comfy.

About the ruck frame pad, I think they make one specifically for that area, I had one.

General Jackson's...Off Yadkin right? Oh, the memories...

OR

You can get this honey of a frame...

A little expensive, but aren't you worth it.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/catalog/...products_id=21

[*******red]NICE (Nylinear Individual Carrying Equipment) ALICE-bag compatible frame.[/COLOR]

Reviwed by Militarty Morons...Check it out. (To see the pictures, type in mm for user and mm for password)

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm.../mystery1.html
    Last edited by Uncle Sam; 01-31-2006 at 02:07 PM.

I myself never modified my ruck. I know guys who did, but the thing was too uncomfortable to carry. The ALICE isn't made to carry too much weight. I stayed with the issue one. And it served me OK.. Sure all of the extra pouches and stuff are swell. But that things going to kill you when you can't wear the waist straps, and the idea of putting that foam mate in the back.. well I used to fold mine in 3rds and do the same thing... it would pull my shoulder back, and walking with that for a while leaves you in a mess... If you can wear the waist belt, that is a Modified one, then great... but we couldn't because we had to always tape it back up for jumps... was a real mess...

Thought I'd post some pictures of what I mean:

Just one of the newer straps, with the non-padded sections of webbing cut off, all buckles removed, and duct taped on there.

I sometimes fill my ALICE with a few sandbags and weight to stay in shape. Before I put that strap there, 40 something pounds was enough ot push the cross-section of the frame into my back, and make it quite uncomfortable. Since I've added that pad, the heaviest load I've "comfortably" carried over long distance in this ruck has been 139lbs.

I also added the other pad underneath the upper-back pad. I got this ruck at the Kelley Hill PX in Benning, and they only had the new rectangle pads, so I just used them for padding.

Can't really see it well, but it's duct-taped underneath the pad. It helps out alot, apparently.

Chem-lights:

Simple as that. Carry a few extra. You can also put an IV bag in there sometimes, or tent stakes, etc. Obviously not at the same time.

This is the ruck I currently use for mountaineering. I never would have used it as such before, unless I wanted my arms to turn purple and fall off.

Thanks for all the advice, it is much apreciated. Keep it coming.

Another small thing I do every so often is get my shemagh or a towel, and put it behind my neck/over my shoulders to cover up the spots where the straps meet the frame. That helps a bit with blood flow to the arms, too, in case you have a strangely-shaped or odd load to carry, regardless of weight.

Hopefully you can find all the stuff you need at the PX.

What a pvss ruck... it's obvious you don't leave your unrolled (because it's a ***** to re roll/fold) 18 ft lowering line attached to your frame... run with that on to an assembly area a few times, and you will know what I mean...

I used to ride my ruck in as I got more jumps. I found that it was better on the back to ride it in, then to land on it, like I've done about 50% of the early jumps I made... not good..

Quote Originally Posted by mikebox
    What a pvss ruck... it's obvious you don't leave your unrolled (because it's a ***** to re roll/fold) 18 ft lowering line attached to your frame... run with that on to an assembly area a few times, and you will know what I mean...

I used to ride my ruck in as I got more jumps. I found that it was better on the back to ride it in, then to land on it, like I've done about 50% of the early jumps I made... not good..
    I've got a combo swiss-seat/lowering line 12ft section of rope monkey-fisted, strapped to a pouch and hidden on the underside of a pouch lid.

I'm gonna get a new ruck eventually (Kifaru, me thinks, $$$$), you could fit all the crap in the world in that thing.