Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest Range Sniper Kill

Default Longest Range Sniper Kill

The current record for longest range sniper kill is 2,430 metres (7,972 ft), accomplished by a Canadian sniper, of the third battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), during the invasion of Afghanistan, using a .50 BMG (12.7 mm) McMillan bolt-action rifle. That's some shot he broke Carlos Hathcocks record for the longest range sniper kill. I was reading about this shot and it said that the round had a flight time of four seconds, and a drop of 44.5 m (146 ft). Like I was saying before amazing shot and so was Carlos Hahcocks shot achieved during ,achieved during the Vietnam War, at a distance of 2,250 m. Two excellent shots and two excellent snipers.

Danke Sir.

The thing is, with all due respect for those achievements, not all armies are very keen to put forward such deeds.

French snipers in Bosnia, Somalia, Kosovo and Ivory Coast have taken some amazing shots, including night shots at over 1,200 metres.

Unless you meet the shooters, you'll never hear about that; same goes with the Belgians; they have a Somalia tally which probably runs in the hundreds but they'll never advertize it...Brits have taken amazing shots in Northern Ireland, from very cramped positions for example; you'll never hear about those either.

A matter of different culture.

If people never hear about it, how did you hear about it?

Quote Originally Posted by STA Sniper
    The current record for longest range sniper kill is 2,430 metres (7,972 ft), accomplished by a Canadian sniper, of the third battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), during the invasion of Afghanistan, using a .50 BMG (12.7 mm) McMillan bolt-action rifle. That's some shot he broke Carlos Hathcocks record for the longest range sniper kill. I was reading about this shot and it said that the round had a flight time of four seconds, and a drop of 44.5 m (146 ft). Like I was saying before amazing shot and so was Carlos Hahcocks shot achieved during ,achieved during the Vietnam War, at a distance of 2,250 m. Two excellent shots and two excellent snipers.

2 very different time periods and enviorments as well. Personally I am a fan of the guys who came before, whether it be in sports, or really anything. Hitting 40 homeruns isnt the same now as it was 30-50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DnA
    If people never hear about it, how did you hear about it?
    From meeting them or from being on theater at the same time

This topic has been talked about in the past, like when it occured.

No doubt, it's great marksmanship and talent (with a touch of luck) but why is it being brought up again?

RMM

It's interesting though, done some target shooting before (wouldn't say i was really any good. More like average. I hit more than i missed) and how in the hell people can make this kind of shot is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by STA Sniper
    i think this is a repost.there's a thread on here detailing long range sniper kills.It actually said that the canadian team hit the target at a mile and a half,as well as the longest american sniper kill at around 14-1500m or so.It's here somewhere,but i look for it rt now.While they are very impressive keep in mind the hathcock kill was him solo deep in enemy territory and almost surrounded by enemy troops.Puts the deed in a totally different context .Point being they are all fcking bad dudes,can't kock anyone of them...Respect due

He's a friend of mine, and it actually took him 3 shots to hit the dirtbag. But it is an amazing shot still. The only reason it's even talked about is because he was working with the American SF, otherwise it would probably still not be mainstream info.

United States of America/N.Y.C./WEMIA/ commeth the hour, not commeth the erection

I one time hit a co-worker with a rubber band gun at 20 feet, but I had to adjust elevation and the windage because he was near the door.. But like most snipers(or wannabees like me lol) I don't really talk about it so you guys maybe aren't aware of my sniperness..

Didn't Hathcock get his long range kill by using a .50cal MG with a scope on it?

The other mission where he shoot a NVA officer in his own camp was an amazing job though.

I just cant fathom adjusting that kinda distance. a drop of 140+ feet. thats crazy, is the guy even in your sight anymore?

Banned user

Hello, this is my first post. How do they measure the exact distance? Does the scope have a readout or the spotter have range finding binoculaurs? Or someone with a tape measure?

yes.. they send out a runner (aka spotter) with a long measureing tape and as soon as the target is down they run up to him and measure it .. lol JK.. from what i would guess the spotter has a laser rangefinder and for the sniper to take shots like that they need that information any way. so even before the shot is taken they know how long it is