Thread: Stop Hotlinking To Other Websites!

Default Stop Hotlinking To Other Websites!

Next person to hotlink pictures to another website that I recieve a complaint about gets banned for life!!

Guys,please do not post pictures that are copyright,or you have no permission to use them,it's common courtesy,I've had several complaints from website's where hotlinking has taken place,it's using their bandwidth,and gets us into trouble.......if you're unsure,then don't post!!

If you must ..........leave the url for the website.....Goldman,sorry mate but these complaints are aimed at you,whilst we all appreciate quality pics,makesure you have permission to use them,or provide a link to the pics in question,I've had 2 complaints today alone.

Sorry to be a wet blanket guys

Regards

----------

Hood's part:

Another facet of hotlinking is bandwidth. Imageshack is one of the better free image hoster's out there, and here's a bit about using thumbnails instead of full inline images to save their bandwidth and make pages load faster on here:

ImageShack® automatically makes thumbnails for any images that are greater than 200x200 in resolution. Thumbnails are best used when you need to hotlink a bunch of images from a single location. When someone clicks a thumbnail, they are directed to the original large image.

Use clickable thumbnails so that people can pick and choose which thumbnails to click on, thus saving their time and bandwidth.

The black bar on the bottom of the thumbnail shows the size and resolution of the original uploaded image, allowing people to decide whether or not they want to download the entire large image.
    Beyond this, Militaryphotos.net can host images directly within the posts by scrolling down past the post box where you'll see an option to upload 1 or more pictures.
    Last edited by hood; 06-05-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Argyll, stupid question but how do they know that it is hotlinked from here?

I turned on the attachment feature of the board about a month ago, so hosting pics within the message is effortless now, so people should use it where possible.

Hotlinking increases the bandwidth on the hosts website,and causes them without their knowledge to have restrictions imposed on them,in some cases they're exceeding their bandwidth,and can have financial restrictions imposed on them....if I exceed my bandwidth,I lose the service.....it may not be illegal,but it's courtious.......how many of you if you had a website that you couldn't access because other people have been using your bandwidth would be happy about it?

Maye a stupid question but, what if the hotlinked website is a government site (like MoD)? I'm sure they don't have to pay for bandwidth. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by daily666
    Maye a stupid question but, what if the hotlinked website is a government site (like MoD)? I'm sure they don't have to pay for bandwidth. Regards
    What's important is to be a courteous net citizen. If the originating web site supports hotlinking like imageshack or our own albums here on the site, then go ahead. Same would go for most of the major news sites and photo repositories. What needs the most attention however, are the little guys who are hosting a small personal website where their bandwidth limitations aren't unlimited and where it would impose undue hardship on those sites by doing it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you rules here.

P.S. It's not the end of the world to just link to their website. Although it's nice, it's not necessary to hotlink the images right into the forum thread. Those sites may have their own ads on their page, which helps them keep their site going like they do here.

Next person to hotlink pictures to another website that I recieve a complaint about gets banned for life!!

Read what's in my statement,not what it's about people!!

From a PM......

First of all, this is our private gallery and we don't want them to be linked. This site was never posted anywhere else and it is for our familes and friends only

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_theft

This term refers to the unauthorized use of someone else's [*******#0000ff]bandwidth[/COLOR]. Inline linking to an image stored on another site increases the bandwidth use of that site, even though their site is not being viewed in its intended form. Since bandwidth is a commodity, unauthorized use can increase the maintenance costs of the website hosting the image, hence the term bandwidth theft.
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...bandwidth.html

http://altlab.com/hotlinking.html

http://www.georgerabe.com/help/linking.htm

Screw the nut!!.....it's a recognised global problem!!

End of thread!!

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Another thread deleted due to hot linking, infractions are being given out, people have been suspended.

[SIZE=7] [SIZE=4]DON'T HOTLINK![/SIZE][/SIZE]

Use a host, imageshack, photobucket, submiturpics, flickr, *******, or any other of the many hosts out there. Or host them on here with the manage attachments function, you'll find it in the additional options box under your reply to thread box.

Hotlinking breaks forum rules, you all agreed to follow the rules when you signed up. As I mentioned at the start of this post, infractions are being handed out and people are getting suspended from those infractions.
    [SIZE=7] [/SIZE]
    Last edited by digrar; 02-15-2009 at 08:03 AM.