Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camp Shelby, MS ? ?

Default Camp Shelby, MS ? ?

Anyone on here been to Camp Shelby for train up, prior to a deployment? If so how was it? Thanks in advance...

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

I've trained mobilized NG guys there. I can't say for sure what training you'll do, but I can tell you that Shelby is a kind of a hellhole. There are some good cajun restaurants just outside the south gate, though.

Banned user

are their any army posts which arent in hell holes. I've been to Ft Jackson, Columbia SC is the armpit of the south. I've been to Ft Polk...nuff said. I've been to Ft Brag, they dont call it Fayetnam for nothing, been to Ft Stewart, thank god it was St. Patricks Day and the beeer was flowing like wine downtown...any good ones out there?

I hear good things about Lewis and Schofield Barracks. Of course Germany is also awesome, even if Graf kinda sucks.

NTC (Ft Irwin) ain't bad, so long as you like Taco Bell and Popeye's.

And the sun. Seriously, there's nothing there but those two resturants and the desert.

Still... I liked that base. But I'm a desert kind of person.

Were back at the worst fort/camp/base thread... anyway, Bragg wasn't that bad.. Even Benning sucks azz... but I loved it at Lewis.. and I've know guys who tried to never get PCS'd away from Alaska... how about Drum... any good up there... I heard that Carson wasn't too bad either... but my major problem was being stationed at some giant mech Leg unit.. you spend all of your time in the Motor Pool, and NTC... that would suck azz...

Default Drum

Actually most of the post is rather new, except the south part. Watertown makes Fayetteville look like Palm Beach. And then, there is the weather. GIs are targeted by slumlords, car dealers and the cops. If you had to be there, I'd recommend living in Sackets Harbor. Some military families were quartered in Syracuse and bussed to Drum daily. Drum is somewhat like Bragg in one way, it is a war post. No trainees, just troops getting ready to go to war or coming back. Canada and Cuban cigars are 30+ miles away.

Shelby sucks. Hattiesburg isn't too bad, lots of bars and places to go, since it's a college town. Buffalo Wild Wings is a pretty good place to go there. The area should be recovered pretty good by now, cause it took a hard hit from Katrina.

Quote Originally Posted by XS203598
    Actually most of the post is rather new, except the south part. Watertown makes Fayetteville look like Palm Beach. And then, there is the weather. GIs are targeted by slumlords, car dealers and the cops. If you had to be there, I'd recommend living in Sackets Harbor. Some military families were quartered in Syracuse and bussed to Drum daily. Drum is somewhat like Bragg in one way, it is a war post. No trainees, just troops getting ready to go to war or coming back. Canada and Cuban cigars are 30+ miles away.
    Thanks for the **** X-ray... I know there are Mountains along the eastern side of Up-States NY.. (I got married, and lived for a while in Albany,and Honeymooned near Lake George) But where do the 10th go for Mountain training... Vermont???

I'm headed down there to train some troops. Why Shelby I don't know. Of all the American bases we could go to, I'm not sure why we are going there. I have been to Drum and Bliss. How does Shelby compare?
    Thanks
    BTW is there a Kit shop? Or a PX on the base?

I went there back in 94 when I was stationed at Fort Campbell...it sucked and I was covered in ticks.

Haha! Finally a topic I can contribute to, as I was just down there in early 2007 for a few months.

Obviously it is in the south, so the weather is hot and humid. If you there for training make sure to drink plenty of water. However also expect, depending on when you are there, heavy rain, wind and thunderstorms. Sometimes in the form of a hurricane or tornado.

The base is alright, PX is small (which is normal for a NG post). Housing is acceptable, definitely better then the WWII stuff you will find on other bases we National Guard soldiers get stuck on(Camp Roberts, North Fort). They have a pretty nice museum for being such a "small" post, if you are into that kinda stuff.

No offense to those members on the board who were down their training soldiers but the classes and instructions I received from 1st Army were crap. The main problem is that the program is aimed at the lowest possible level of soldier (ie admin). I learned very little from the training and of the three months I was there only did about 1 week worth of mission specific training.

And now the most important thing; no drinking. And they are pretty serious about this one, we had a lot of guys get arrested by the MPs so if you are going to do it be careful because everyone out in town is in the military and will turn you in if they see you drinking in uniform.

Now out of curiosity what kind of mission are you training up for? You may be my unit's replacements

I'm with the Canadian Forces.... We are going to down to assist with a deploying units training.
    I believe we are staying out in the field the whole time. Some sort of Bivouac out in the middle of nowhere.
    Other then that, I don't know much else.
    The only plus is that we get a day off in New Orleans at the end. As that is where we are flying out of.
    Only for a couple of weeks. Being dry really sucks. Not something that we are used to.
    Anyway, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete031 View Post
    I'm with the Canadian Forces.... We are going to down to assist with a deploying units training.
    I believe we are staying out in the field the whole time. Some sort of Bivouac out in the middle of nowhere.
    Other then that, I don't know much else.
    The only plus is that we get a day off in New Orleans at the end. As that is where we are flying out of.
    Only for a couple of weeks. Being dry really sucks. Not something that we are used to.
    Anyway, thanks for the info.
    They have these mock FOBs spread out throughout the training area. They consist of GPM tents with pallets for floors and cots to sleep on, a giant white tent with high top tables (no chairs) for chow (brought in on mirmites), porta-****ters, and showers. I don't know if this is were you will be staying but if so it isn't the worst conditions ever.

If you are going down as an instructor, especially one from a different armed force I am sure you can get away with drinking, unless you are you are stuck in the field the whole time.