Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141656 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Default Shotgun optics

Does anyone have any experience with optics on shotguns? I am building a Remington 870 and am debating between ghost ring sights or some kind of ACOG or EOTECH. I am just wondering if they will stand up to recoil of 00 Buck and slugs.

trying to be celibate
    Curing The Sick With My Noodley Appendage

Maybe both if they can co-witness. I've seen people use Aimpoints, Eotech and Trijicon reflex sights.

I had a red dot on my 870. It was fast. Was removed after a trip through the snow. Oops.

Just curious, but how do people co-witness? I find it to be the most confusing and busy sight picture. Why not just remove the red dot altogether if it breaks or runs out of batteries?

Red dots make targetting faster than with iron sights. Why bring iron sights into the mix again, and waste batteries? Am I missing something?

Cowitnessing is really only necessary for combat applications. Just think, you are in the middle of engaging a target and for whatever reason your optic dies. Are you going to take the time to remove and secure it, or just flip up the irons and keep shooting? A lot of the time, the iron sights are fixed so you always are co-witnessing.

mp.net numba wan Chinaman SMGLee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoboWithAK
    Cowitnessing is really only necessary for combat applications. Just think, you are in the middle of engaging a target and for whatever reason your optic dies. Are you going to take the time to remove and secure it, or just flip up the irons and keep shooting? A lot of the time, the iron sights are fixed so you always are co-witnessing.
    Modern day red dot are pretty durable, you be hard pressed to see it go down. then again is it does, you should always transition to your blaster.

even if a blaster isn't available, the optic window on your optic can act as an emergency sight.

I run EOTech on my shotties.

Nice shotguns you have there.

I am thinking of getting a Mossy 500 and adding the siderail(Redfield makes one) and mounting a EoTech on it. The reticle IMO is better for shottys..you've got that 65MOA and the 1MOA..useful.
    (Of course I'll be adding either a Surefire rail with a vertical grip or a dedicated Surefire forend)

This is a good red dot/reflex sight, I have in on my Mossberg 835

I'm not the Eotech fan, but I must say that for shotguns it is the dogs bollocks.

Great in that job.

-jippo

I have an Aimpoint on my AR but don't have any experience with optics on shotguns. I will say out of common since though, that an ACOG on a shotty would be money that could be put to better uses. You don't need a magnified optic on a scattergun. Now if you were planning on shooting slugs, I can see how it may be a good option, but not for CQB type stuff.

I used a aimpoint m2 and a docter for awhile in my m3 shottie.
    Slower than the irons on the ranges typical with shotguns. Didn't like it.

So my recommendation would be - keep the irons and use your money or the optic sight for something else.
    Last edited by Angelwings; 12-04-2005 at 07:36 AM.

Reflex/Red dot sights are MUCH faster then any iron sights, it's all about practice and knowing what it is. It also aids in keeping both eyes open and increased observation of your target environment. Also they're helpful in low light conditions.
    I found them to me quicker on the target then anything and that includes skeet & trap shooting.

No they are not. They are faster for the inexperienced. Iron sights are harder to master but in shotties the application is mostly in much shorter distances and getting redpoints are slower and not needed.

I have also shot my share of clays but I concentrate on offensive shooting. I didn't make my comment up, it specifically concerned redpoints on shotties and it was based on experience. Just like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by sergey31
    Reflex/Red dot sights are MUCH faster then any iron sights, it's all about practice and knowing what it is. It also aids in keeping both eyes open and increased observation of your target environment. Also they're helpful in low light conditions.
    I found them to me quicker on the target then anything and that includes skeet & trap shooting.

Slower than the irons on the ranges typical with shotguns.
    They are faster for the inexperienced. Iron sights are harder to master but in shotties the application is mostly in much shorter distances and getting redpoints are slower and not needed.
    So which is it?
    If they are faster for the inexperienced then seems to me "experienced" one should be even more faster with em since he is experienced.

There is a good reason for the popularity in reflex tactical sights on shotguns. There are more pros then cons and more and more law enforcement & military begin adopting and issuing them.
    With a reflex sight you can accurately hit target up to 50 yards away and I'm not talking about with bird-shot ammo. And there is a reason why it's called reflex sight.

I'm using an Aimpoint M2 on my Benelli M-4 shotgun and I'm quite happy with it. I don't think an ACOG will make much sense on a shotgun as it is designed to be used as well over short distances as over long distances, something that won't happen with your shotgun. I want to try my new EOTECH 551 on the shotgun but haven't had the time to do so yet. Maybe next week.

Ciao
    Tom