Page 51 of 276 FirstFirst ... 41434445464748495051525354555657585961101151 ... LastLast

Thread: TNI in Gallery (the New Photos)

great pics kopassus. thx... this time u'r the first..hehehe

thx to original uploader: copraldjono@kaskus.us

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Are the howitzers and light tanks from the same unit? Btw where was this taken?
    First question:dont know.
    Second: Jawa Barat

Quote Originally Posted by karbol View Post
    thx to original uploader: copraldjono@kaskus.us

Rudal apa ini? Foto 2 dan 3 seperti RBS70....

Kasultanan Ngayugyakarta Hadiningrat (Jogjakarta Special Region)

missiles launcher in the last pic, look like javelin ATGM, but it's not, what is that?

last picture for me it is LRAC 89 rocket antitank short range the diameter of the javelin is bigger and the sight are not the same.
    I'm surprise because I don't know indonesian forces use this rocket launcher.

Yepp, top and bottom pics show LRAC 89 anti-tank launcher, pic 2 & 3 show RBS-70 SAM and pic 4 shows the C-90 CR disposable anti-tank launcher.

--------------

Another Indonesian 4x4, don't know the name...
    Edit/ I just see that the vehicle plate says "Rantis Prototype", so I guess now I know it's name

Quote Originally Posted by samourai View Post
    last picture for me it is LRAC 89 rocket antitank short range the diameter of the javelin is bigger and the sight are not the same.
    I'm surprise because I don't know indonesian forces use this rocket launcher.
    Dear Member,

I didn't either. I did an article on the LRAC 89 back in the 1980s and I was told it was the second most used crew served light antitank weapon after the Carl Gustav. But the French don't talk about who they supply it to. It was designed to replace the Korean War US designed 3.5 inch Super Bazooka. Solved a lot of problems that the Super Bazooka had (ie having to unpack the rocket and load it). A lot of features were copied from the LRAC 89 by other arms designers -- eg the Israeli B-300. Also the LRAC 89 antitank round has an extremely high penetration for an 89mm HEAT projectile. Lucharie also offers an anti-personnel round that is similar to a claymore mine in effect packed with steel ball bearings.

Finally, the photo before the LRAC 89 is of a Spanish individual light antitank rocket.

Jack E. Hammond

PS> From some of the messages I have read it seems that the Indonesians and Dutch have at last got over the 1945-49 War. Many thought that would never happen as it was such a bitter war on par with the Spanish Civil War of 1936.

Folks,

Does anyone have the history of Indonesia and the Rapier. Did they acquire them new or from Singapore or Australia?

Jack E. Hammond

[quote=jackehammond;2954203]Dear Member,

I didn't either. I did an article on the LRAC 89 back in the 1980s and I was told it was the second most used crew served light antitank weapon after the Carl Gustav. But the French don't talk about who they supply it to. It was designed to replace the Korean War US designed 3.5 inch Super Bazooka. Solved a lot of problems that the Super Bazooka had (ie having to unpack the rocket and load it). A lot of features were copied from the LRAC 89 by other arms designers -- eg the Israeli B-300. Also the LRAC 89 antitank round has an extremely high penetration for an 89mm HEAT projectile. Lucharie also offers an anti-personnel round that is similar to a claymore mine in effect packed with steel ball bearings.

Finally, the photo before the LRAC 89 is of a Spanish individual light antitank rocket.

Jack E. Hammond

Indonesia acquired the LRAC 89 back in the 1980's (I think). I knew this from my father who was an army officer working in the Army Procurement Dept. French even has 'permanent' reps for their defence industry back then - that's how I got MILAN and HOT posters (didn't even realized what was it then).

As far as I can remember, Indonesia was a good customer with the French. I still have a catalogue from French's SATORY (kind of Defence industry show) from back then. And you're right, there's LRAC 89.

Speaking of history it was rather funny for me that French and British at some point tried (and still is) to sell as many as possible their arms products to us at the same time. The British even held a special 'promotion' day where they show: Range Rovers (new at that time), Rapier and Sterling sub-machine guns.

As far as I know, Indonesian Rapier came brand new. But I maybe wrong.

Greek SF also use the LRAC-89 (or Strim) as squad level AT

The Rapiers were new. The purchase was made in early to mid 80's. According to IISS-published Military Balance 1985-1986 edition, Indonesia purchased 51 launchers. The main purpose of the purchase was to safeguard 'critical national installations' such as gas fields at Bontang and Arun and oil refinery at Dumai. Back then - that line of reasoning might be relevant considering that PGM proliferation was at infancy.

I'll go check in the local library next weekend for the latest ed of Military Balance - the Rapier should still be listed on the inventory even though their usability might be dubious at best since their shelf life should be expired by now.

By the way - does anybody know about any of the recent 'arms purchase plans' such as Fincantieri-aided national corvette, Russian-designed-Spain-built OPV, Kilo class, Sukhoi addition and BMP-3 purchase?

There are so many news flying around about them on message boards and some Indonesian national newspapers but they are really much ado about nothing.

The $1B Russian credit line has so far been unused since there has been no bank (or banks) willing to secure the funds. Kilo class purchase is in limbo - the new navy chief does not seem to be very keen in getting the new subs. The Sukhoi purchase that has been trumpeted is nothing more than an Mou - not a purchase contract.

I'm a global commodity manager for a Fortune 500 company so I know a thing or two about the difference of MoU and firm purchase order. MoU does not mean squat if there is no purchase order or contract - and as far as I know - there has been no FIRM purchase. Same thing with Italian corvette and Russo-Spanish OPV.

Anybody hear anything different - please share it on the board.

..... thx for the correction flanker...

Taken from Kompas newspaper - another example of BS and erroneous reporting:

<< start >>

Senjata Sukhoi Sudah Tiba di Makassar

JAKARTA, SENIN-Kepala Staf TNI Angkatan Udara (KSAU) Marsekal Madya (Marsdya) Subandrio mengatakan empat pesawat Sukhoi TNI Angkatan Udara (AU) siap untuk dipersenjatai.
    "Seluruh senjata yang kita pesan untuk melengkapi Sukhoi sudah datang sepekan silam dan kini telah berada di Skadron Sukhoi di Makassar," katanya di sela-sela upacara serah terima jabatan Kepala Staf Angkatan Darat (KSAD) di Jakarta, Senin (31/12).

* short summary: According to the Air Force chief of staff Subandrio - the Sukhois are ready to be armed. The ordered ordnance have arrived at Makasar airbase.

One notable omission though: what are they - iron bomb, R-73, rocket pods, R-77, PGM?

Ia menambahkan, seluruh persenjataan yang baru datang tersebut belum akan di coba, namun masih perlu dilihat seluruh kelengkapannya.
    Empat pesawat tempur buatan Rusia yang dibeli TNI AU pada 2003 itu dijuluki Flanker yakni jenis Sukhoi Su-27 SK Upgrade dengan sepasang mesin masing-masing berdaya dorong 12.550 kg jenis Lyulka AL-31F. Kelebihan pesawat tempur jenis ini juga terlihat dari kelengkapan IRST/Infra Red Search and Track berupa bola kaca di depan kokpit, yang mampu mengendus sasaran sejauh 70 km, sebuah kelengkapan yang tidak dipunyai pesawat keluaran barat.
    Menengok persenjataan yang mampu diusung, juga tak kalah hebat semisal rudal udara AA-12 Adder yang mampu menjelajah sejauh 50 km (melebihi AMRAAM yang hanya 40 km) atau pun rudal udara jenis R-73 yang mampu menembak pada sasaran ke arah samping hingga sudut 70 derajat.
    Untuk sasaran darat pesawat Sukhoi dapat dilengkapi dengan rudal H-31P berjarak jangkau 100 km atau rudal antikapal jenis H-31A berjarak jangkau 50 km, bandingkan dengan Maverick yang hanya mencapai 15 km. Dengan bahan bakar yang mampu dibawa seberat 6.000 kg pesawat ini mampu mengadakan patroli sejauh 1.500 kilometer dari pangkalan tolak atau terbang selama empat jam.

* more summary: this is a bunch of gibberish - there is no substantial news there. Yes we know that Flankers can carry R-77, yes Archer is better than Niner Limas, and yes Kh-31 is a supersonic capable missiles. Are they included on the ordnance package - no mention about it there.

Seluruh persenjataan itu merupakan senjata udara paling mematikan saat ini, lebih andal dari rudal keluaran Israel jenis Python atau AIM-9L/M Sidewinder yang biasa dipakai negara Barat. Beberapa senjata yang kini mulai ditempelkan di tubuh keempat Sukhoi milik TNI AU antara lain rudal cannon, roket dan misil.(ANT/NIK)

* more notes: This is the sorriest part of the story. The last sentence roughly said 'Some of the weapons that have been equipped on these four Sukhois are cannon missiles (what the hell was that - anybody please enlighten me), rocket and missile.

<< end >>

Cannon missiles - good grief - how do you say clueless in indonesian? I hope that this term (rudal cannon) comes from the reporter, not from the chief of staff ..... If it does come from the chief of staff - God helps the air force!

Quote Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
    Taken from Kompas newspaper - another example of BS and erroneous reporting:

<< start >>

Senjata Sukhoi Sudah Tiba di Makassar

JAKARTA, SENIN-Kepala Staf TNI Angkatan Udara (KSAU) Marsekal Madya (Marsdya) Subandrio mengatakan empat pesawat Sukhoi TNI Angkatan Udara (AU) siap untuk dipersenjatai.
    "Seluruh senjata yang kita pesan untuk melengkapi Sukhoi sudah datang sepekan silam dan kini telah berada di Skadron Sukhoi di Makassar," katanya di sela-sela upacara serah terima jabatan Kepala Staf Angkatan Darat (KSAD) di Jakarta, Senin (31/12).

* short summary: According to the Air Force chief of staff Subandrio - the Sukhois are ready to be armed. The ordered ordnance have arrived at Makasar airbase.

One notable omission though: what are they - iron bomb, R-73, rocket pods, R-77, PGM?

Ia menambahkan, seluruh persenjataan yang baru datang tersebut belum akan di coba, namun masih perlu dilihat seluruh kelengkapannya.
    Empat pesawat tempur buatan Rusia yang dibeli TNI AU pada 2003 itu dijuluki Flanker yakni jenis Sukhoi Su-27 SK Upgrade dengan sepasang mesin masing-masing berdaya dorong 12.550 kg jenis Lyulka AL-31F. Kelebihan pesawat tempur jenis ini juga terlihat dari kelengkapan IRST/Infra Red Search and Track berupa bola kaca di depan kokpit, yang mampu mengendus sasaran sejauh 70 km, sebuah kelengkapan yang tidak dipunyai pesawat keluaran barat.
    Menengok persenjataan yang mampu diusung, juga tak kalah hebat semisal rudal udara AA-12 Adder yang mampu menjelajah sejauh 50 km (melebihi AMRAAM yang hanya 40 km) atau pun rudal udara jenis R-73 yang mampu menembak pada sasaran ke arah samping hingga sudut 70 derajat.
    Untuk sasaran darat pesawat Sukhoi dapat dilengkapi dengan rudal H-31P berjarak jangkau 100 km atau rudal antikapal jenis H-31A berjarak jangkau 50 km, bandingkan dengan Maverick yang hanya mencapai 15 km. Dengan bahan bakar yang mampu dibawa seberat 6.000 kg pesawat ini mampu mengadakan patroli sejauh 1.500 kilometer dari pangkalan tolak atau terbang selama empat jam.

* more summary: this is a bunch of gibberish - there is no substantial news there. Yes we know that Flankers can carry R-77, yes Archer is better than Niner Limas, and yes Kh-31 is a supersonic capable missiles. Are they included on the ordnance package - no mention about it there.

Seluruh persenjataan itu merupakan senjata udara paling mematikan saat ini, lebih andal dari rudal keluaran Israel jenis Python atau AIM-9L/M Sidewinder yang biasa dipakai negara Barat. Beberapa senjata yang kini mulai ditempelkan di tubuh keempat Sukhoi milik TNI AU antara lain rudal cannon, roket dan misil.(ANT/NIK)

* more notes: This is the sorriest part of the story. The last sentence roughly said 'Some of the weapons that have been equipped on these four Sukhois are cannon missiles (what the hell was that - anybody please enlighten me), rocket and missile.

<< end >>

Cannon missiles - good grief - how do you say clueless in indonesian? I hope that this term (rudal cannon) comes from the reporter, not from the chief of staff ..... If it does come from the chief of staff - God helps the air force!
    The code at the end of the story explains that the source of the story is from ANTARA Indonesian State News Agency. As the new suggest, being the 'state owned' News Agency means they often have better access to Military leaderships than most media in Indonesia.

Unfortunately ANTARA (like other general news agency) often have to rely on correspondences or journalists with little understanding or knowledges regarding specific fields (military technology). As such these journalists tend to confuse details and the fact that the editors themselves offer very little help, will just add to more confusions.

This sort of report is not unusual in Indonesia. Still, sometimes they do offer some kind of hints of what actually happened. In this case, with a pinch of salt, if I may say very probable that indeed some sorts of weapons for the Flankers did arrived.

Whether the weapons are indeed the AA-12 Adder or anything sort only time will tell. General aviation enthusiasts in Indonesia didn't even aware that TNI-AU owns AGM-65 Maverick until pictures of the missiles were published in ANGKASA magazine in the late 90's.

Generally like most armed forces, TNI-AU like to keep some secrets for themselves. It was only recently it was admitted the A-4 Skyhawks operated by TNI-AU in 80's till recently was actually came from Israel. Even the crews were trained in Israel. So the possibilities are wide open. But until there's a published pictures showing the real weaponries, we won't know for sure what sort of weapons acquired.

Just my two cents.