Thread: Dutch military pictures

Banned user

you're right, but Dutch politicians aren't acting very informed on the area of defense either There are some informed people, but others...
    As fore the cuts, they could have been worse, much worse.

what I find also wrong.. We do need boots on the ground.. but in most wars it's been like who controls the sky wins the war..

so just having a small airforce would be unlogic. (they claim to be cutting again on the jet fighters, maybe buying a small lot of F-35B's later).

"The Dutch business participates in the development of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), an advanced multirole device. By signing the contract in 2002 it was assumed that 138 (subsequently reduced to 105 and recently to 72) F-16's would be replaced by 85/100 JSFs.

At too high unit price already mentioned that this number would be limited to 60. Meanwhile there are even alluded to purchase only 50 and recently circulated in the press that the Air Force will be entirely abandon the JSF. "

I have a good feeling the F-35 will get so expensive that parliament will pressure cabinet to have the MOD re-open the search for an alternative. Knowing the RNLAF's relationship with Lockheed though...

some of the Dutch C7A1 photographed by myself.

Thanks very nice group!

Still using he old PARKA??

jeroen

Hey Jeroen,

I do have the new parka (not received from KPU) because only fighters first received it.

Also the old parka is still very common in use and this was not my parka

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    Thanks very nice group!

Still using he old PARKA??

jeroen

'Lybia Lynx' transported to the Netherlands.

MoD;
    http://www.defensie.nl/actueel/nieuw...e_op_transport
    Last edited by tercio67; 03-01-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Banned user

I have a serious question: Were the dutch meant to "sacrifice" their army to delay the soviets during the cold war?

I was told that during the Cold war the dutch kept a base in west-germany just for this purpose (ultimately to defend their own country of course), until US reinforcements arrived, they were to hold tight for as long as possible along with the Danish, the Germans, the Brits and the Belgians.

A friend from University told me this and i was just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by gastrion View Post
    I have a serious question: Were the dutch meant to "sacrifice" their army to delay the soviets during the cold war?

I was told that during the Cold war the dutch kept a base in west-germany just for this purpose (ultimately to defend their own country of course), until US reinforcements arrived, they were to hold tight for as long as possible along with the Danish, the Germans, the Brits and the Belgians.

A friend from University told me this and i was just curious...
    Considering the WARPAC's potential numerical advantage, any defense of Germany in case of conflict would likely have been a holding and delaying action until the Americans managed to reinforce.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    Considering the WARPAC's potential numerical advantage, any defense of Germany in case of conflict would likely have been a holding and delaying action until the Americans managed to reinforce.
    But was it suicide?

Gun trials OPV Friesland

Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    but with the recent MLU of the Walruses, they'll be around for a while yet.
    The Cougars also received an MLU not that long ago, now they're gone. MLUs just sweeten the deal for any potential buyer, getting the newest possible technology they can't develop themselves and would otherwise have to buy separately and integrate into foreign systems (both arguably more expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by gastrion View Post
    But was it suicide?
    That really all depends on how quickly the US could have gotten reinforcements to Germany (the amount of Foxtrot, Tango and Kilo class submarines that the WP would have deployed in the Atlantic might have caused a prolonged delay), and how long they would have been able to maintain air superiority and resupply their armies.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1976 View Post
    The Cougars also received an MLU not that long ago, now they're gone. MLUs just sweeten the deal for any potential buyer, getting the newest possible technology they can't develop themselves and would otherwise have to buy separately and integrate into foreign systems (both arguably more expensive).

That really all depends on how quickly the US could have gotten reinforcements to Germany (the amount of Foxtrot, Tango and Kilo class submarines that the WP would have deployed in the Atlantic might have caused a prolonged delay), and how long they would have been able to maintain air superiority and resupply their armies.

So im guessing it would have been a tough battle, the toughest in the history of these respective countries.

Air superiority could have been a problem with the vast red air force and army, and so were the subs.
    Holding the north-sea "clean" would have been quite the tough assignment for the Dutch asw navy, along with the Danes and Norwegians of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1976 View Post

I'm just ball parking it, but if I were to hazard a guess, i'd say the Walrus MLU is quite a bit more expensive than what the RNLAF did with the Cougars.