Thread: Dutch military pictures

Banned user

Hi there, does anyone know if the dutch sub service is being disbanded because of cuts?
    I heard some rumors online and it would be a damn shame if it would go.

Oh and what is the current status of the jss, we (canada) were also interested in your design

Our subs are being upgraded and are expected to be in service up to 2025ish.

JSS is being built.

Quote Originally Posted by gastrion View Post
    Hi there, does anyone know if the dutch sub service is being disbanded because of cuts?
    I heard some rumors online and it would be a damn shame if it would go.

Oh and what is the current status of the jss, we (canada) were also interested in your design
    As rumours go, the submarine service has been in danger of disbandment for ages now, but with the recent MLU of the Walruses, they'll be around for a while yet. The Karel Doorman is under construction. The keel was layed in Damen's yard in Galatz, and IIRC it's supposed to be hauled to Vlissingen next year for completion, with a projected in service date of 2015.

Banned user

Ok thanks.

I saw (unofficial) plans where the 2 m's were to be sold as well as the 4 subs and an opv, all were to be sold AFTER their upgrades were finished.
    Got me worried a bit, thought politicians had completely lost every last bit of their brain (what was left of it)

Ok thanks.

I saw (unofficial) plans where the 2 m's were to be sold as well as the 4 subs and an opv, all were to be sold AFTER their upgrades were finished.
    Got me worried a bit, thought politicians had completely lost every last bit of their brain (what was left of it)
    Though thatīs being done to one of the RNLAFīs KDC10īs, I doubt the DMO would put the two Mīs up for sale, as theyīre also in the process of a, quite expensive, MLU(new masts, etc.)
    If the budgetary situation gets worse, i wouldnīt rule out anything, but the units you mentioned have all either recently come in to service or have received updates. Bit foolish to just squander those investments.

Banned user

This is the image I saw, it was posted on another forum regarding the Dutch military.

It is one of the plans to be proposed, so it's in no way certain... yet
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

This is the image I saw, it was posted on another forum regarding the Dutch military.

It is one of the plans to be proposed, so it's in no way certain... yet
    That's a bit dated info. It was published before the cuts were made, as an example of possible cuts.
    In the end it was decided to cut 1 arty bn and scrap all tanks (parliament opposed the sale of two new OPV's) and sell 1 KDC10.

The cuts are final, the units concerned have been taken off active status, personnel reassigned.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by tercio67 View Post
    That's a bit dated info. It was published before the cuts were made, as an example of possible cuts.
    In the end it was decided to cut 1 arty bn and scrap all tanks (parliament opposed the sale of two new OPV's) and sell 1 KDC10.

The cuts are final, the units concerned have been taken off active status, personnel reassigned.
    The forum where this image was recently posted stated that they might turn to these (drastic) cuts again, "the sub service is not out of dangerous water yet" was stated there. That's why I got a big concerned... although they still haven't publicly made plans for a replacement. Anyways I hope that forum was wrong.

If further cuts need be made I'm sure they will not be made by journalists.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by tercio67 View Post
    If further cuts need be made I'm sure they will not be made by journalists.
    No, they will be made by politicians, I'm not sure which one is worse.

No, they will be made by politicians, I'm not sure which one is worse.
    That would be the journalists, as they tend to be less informed in general and about defence in particular.

Banned user

you're right, but Dutch politicians aren't acting very informed on the area of defense either There are some informed people, but others...
    As fore the cuts, they could have been worse, much worse.

what I find also wrong.. We do need boots on the ground.. but in most wars it's been like who controls the sky wins the war..

so just having a small airforce would be unlogic. (they claim to be cutting again on the jet fighters, maybe buying a small lot of F-35B's later).

"The Dutch business participates in the development of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), an advanced multirole device. By signing the contract in 2002 it was assumed that 138 (subsequently reduced to 105 and recently to 72) F-16's would be replaced by 85/100 JSFs.

At too high unit price already mentioned that this number would be limited to 60. Meanwhile there are even alluded to purchase only 50 and recently circulated in the press that the Air Force will be entirely abandon the JSF. "

I have a good feeling the F-35 will get so expensive that parliament will pressure cabinet to have the MOD re-open the search for an alternative. Knowing the RNLAF's relationship with Lockheed though...

some of the Dutch C7A1 photographed by myself.