Page 870 of 897 FirstFirst ... 370770820860862863864865866867868869870871872873874875876877878880 ... LastLast
Results 13,036 to 13,050 of 13441

Thread: Dutch military pictures

Knight MWO Albert Hoeben (94) passed away yesterday.

Oost-Java

Albert Hoeben trad op 28 maart 1945 als oorlogsvrijwilliger in dienst bij het Korps Mariniers. Hij werd opgeleid in de Verenigde Staten voor de nieuw te vormen Mariniersbrigade. Op 1 november 1945 werd hij bevorderd tot tijdelijk korporaal en op Oost-Java geplaatst als ploegcommandant van een automatische geweergroep.
    In augustus 1946 veroverde Hoeben met zijn geweergroep een door tegenstanders verdedigde stelling. Hierbij kreeg hij 3 handgranaten in zijn richting geworpen. Een van de handgranaten kwam op zijn rug terecht. De andere 2 naast hem in de greppel. Hoeben graaide naar de handgranaten en gooide deze terug. Onder dekking van het stof dat door de inslagen van de teruggeworpen handgranaten opwoei, s****g hij over een dijkje. Terwijl zijn manschappen onder mitrailleurvuur lagen, overmeesterde Albert Hoeben met gevaar voor eigen leven de tegenstander.
    http://www.defensie.nl/actueel/nieuw...eben-overleden

Last edited by tercio67; 07-14-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Hopefully I can make you guys happy with some of this:

A piece of real dutch military aviation history. The Fokker S14 Machtrainer. The only military jet produced by Fokker. Never a real success. Now under restoration for static display only. It is too expensive and too unreliable to fly.

Some pictures of a compass swing of the Ryan STM II

Some in-flight shots

And last an Piper cub as it was used by the NEIAAF (ML-KNIL)

Nice pictures! I love the orange neutrality triangles.

Cool stuff, DeltaB. Where will that S14 go? They already have one on display at Soesterberg, no?

Thanks all. I'm a big fan of the orange triangles to.

The S14 will stay at the Historical Flight. Hopefully one day in the future we can make it fly again. The problem for now is the jet engine. The original Rolls Royce Drewent is to unreliable and almost impossible to maintain due to a lack of parts etc. Second the materials used in that engine will be good for maybe 20 to 30 flight hours, if there would be parts available its going to cost us a fortune having the engine for overhaul every 20 flight hours. An other option is to modify the aircrafts engine bay and engine systems so it will accept another engine like an J-85 (NF-5) or an J-79 (F104). Same concept they did in the states whit an Me-262. The first problem then is authorizing the modification by the authorities. Second problem is our maintenance facility that is'nt fit for jet engines.

Plan now is to use is only for static, future might bring some more. But that will be an painstaking process. The first transition form piston engines only to jet engines will probably be an Alouette III. We once had an Bo105, but the Air Force claimed it back for the ground school at Gilze-Rijen before plans for maintenance and operation were completed. Once the ground school has another training aircraft we might get it back.

BTW: We had the same problem with the jet engine story when they tried to get an F27 friendship (C-3) in the fleet. Too expensive, especially the cost for maintenance and modifying the maintenance facility.

Thanks for the pictures DeltaB. There is an ex dutch Ryan flying in New Zealand in the same colour scheme. It escaped from Indonesia to Australia.

That is correct, I even believe its not the only one flying in dutch colors outside the Netherlands. I even believe that the one you're talking about is fitted with an constant speed propeller witch is not origional, I have no qlue what the story is behind that modo. What I do know is that it has the text 'experimental' painted on the fuselage. When you have your aircraft registerd as experimental in Australia you have to comply with less rules than with an normal registration. Tough, there are restrictions to what you can and can't do with an expirimental registerd aircraft.

What does the Dutch army call their Accuracy International Sniper rifles, specifically the 338?

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerord View Post
    What does the Dutch army call their Accuracy International Sniper rifles, specifically the 338?
    We simply call the AWM-F: "Accuracy" or GLA ( Geweer Lange Afstand = Rifle Long Range).

Tercio,

Thank you.

Marty
    Badger Ordnance

Dutch Chinook and Air Assault infantry during Hot Blade exercise in Portugal

Last edited by siberian tiger; 07-24-2014 at 08:02 PM.

More from Hotblade2014

RNLAF facebook

Last edited by tercio67; 07-30-2014 at 06:03 AM.