Page 9 of 252 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish Soldiers all over the World.

Those pictures brought back horrible memories of PKP and Polish train stations..

How many Humvees did we get from USA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uruk-Hai
    How many Humvees did we get from USA ?
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...&postcount=194

Quote Originally Posted by tyovan4
    Those pictures brought back horrible memories of PKP and Polish train stations..
    They aren't that horrible, my friend is studding on Ukraine - I was visiting him - belive me, they have trains that are even worse.

It also depends on trains and stations - PKP Intercity trains (about 3x more expensive then normal) are really fine, and there are some really nice train stations (like in Częstochowa) - but if you were traveling by some local train to Kutno, well...

PKP is a company that haven't change from commie times (in my opinion they haven't even realized that communism is over) so they don't really care of details like quality of service - government will pay their debs.

I hope you have some positive memories from Poland.
    Last edited by corran.pl; 04-28-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by F. De Saxe
    One of the best pics of Polish stuff I've ever seen
    This is a fine pics indeed
    Link to the hi-res version anyone?

Banned user

Excellent thread....

This are Hi-res versions, pic are from www.arifoto.pl - kind of Polish www.airliners.net.

All pics are taken in Iraq.

I tink that you will like this pics:

IRAQ , Ubaydah Bin al Jarrah (Al Jarrah Airbase) / Al Kut

Quote Originally Posted by corran.pl
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...&postcount=194

They aren't that horrible, my friend is studding on Ukraine - I was visiting him - belive me, they have trains that are even worse.

It also depends on trains and stations - PKP Intercity trains (about 3x more expensive then normal) are really fine, and there are some really nice train stations (like in Częstochowa) - but if you were traveling by some local train to Kutno, well...

PKP is a company that haven't change from commie times (in my opinion they haven't even realized that communism is over) so they don't really care of details like quality of service - government will pay their debs.

I hope you have some positive memories from Poland.
    Oh, I loved Poland itself. Beautiful country and I have a lot of good friends there. I just absolutely hated the transport network. VERY difficult for foreigners. It was an IC train from Szczecin to Warszawa, I just changed at Kutno to go to Czestochowa. Unfortunately I went to Bydgoszcz instead.
    Czestochowa did have a nice station IIRC - it even had an internet cafe. I remember that Warszawa West (Zachodnia??) was kind of crap, and I remember that Warszawa Centralnia was massive. Krakow's station was hard to find and scary - police and military police were everywhere as were beggers and con artists, and the Lodz Fabryczna wasn't impressive. I have good memories from Poland, its just most dont involve PKP.

Quote Originally Posted by tyovan4
    Oh, I loved Poland itself. Beautiful country and I have a lot of good friends there. I just absolutely hated the transport network. VERY difficult for foreigners. It was an IC train from Szczecin to Warszawa, I just changed at Kutno to go to Czestochowa. Unfortunately I went to Bydgoszcz instead.
    Yes, well Kutno station is a crap, once I had to wait 4h in the middle of the night (2 - 6 am) on this station because my train was late, even polish rock artist - Kazik Staszewski i singing about this station.

off-topic but ive been in Poland and its a ugly country (like bulgaria). I was on a tourist resort and they were building nice hotels, but when you get to the city everything was grey and buildings looked like they havent been repared and maintain for many years. This might be changed now since i was there like 10 years ago, but the impression i got from the country is the same when i see their army. old, poor and badly maintained..

Quote Originally Posted by triple5
    off-topic but ive been in Poland and its a ugly country (like bulgaria). I was on a tourist resort and they were building nice hotels, but when you get to the city everything was grey and buildings looked like they havent been repared and maintain for many years. This might be changed now since i was there like 10 years ago, but the impression i got from the country is the same when i see their army. old, poor and badly maintained..

I've been to bulgaria, something like 15 years ago and I don't remember it being ugly. A lot has changed in this part of europe in the last years, but that don't include some polish railway stations as Tyovan said.

Tyovan4: East Warsaw (Warszawa Wschodnia) is the worst thing you can get in Poland IMHO. The best and preetiest stations are Wroclaw, Gdansk, Lublin.

Quote Originally Posted by triple5
    I smell flame...

If it was 10 years ago then it was only few years after political changes in Poland, i don't know what your country is but I really don't think that your country would look better after 50 years of Soviet occupation (by the way - thanks to western world for leaving us in Soviet hands after WW II).

And about Army... are you blind? We are not US Army but it is not that bad, there are some old designs (like BMP-1, 2S1) but their is a lot of quite good ones (PT-91, Leo2A4) and some that are top of the World - comparable or better then used for example in UK or US (KTO Rosomak, Krab, PZA Loara) and there is a lot of new stuff getting into line (HMMWVs, Spikes, EOTechs for Beryls, NVGs, Tor 0,50 caliber sniper rifles etc.).
    Last edited by corran.pl; 04-29-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corran.pl
    I smell flame...
    If it was 10 years ago then it was only few years after political changes in Poland, i don't know what your country is but I really don't think that your country would look better after 50 years of Soviet occupation (by the way - thanks to western world for leaving us in Soviet hands after WW II).
    Very good answer, but he is probably from some Western country so he will not understand it... or from "modern" Russia - then he will say that Poland was FREE and sovereignty country
    Pozdro, do Polaków - nie przejmujcie się i faktycznie w Warszawie(bo pewnie tam był) część budynków była 10 lat temu szara i odrapana...

Banned user

The poles only deployed the old Mi-24D's to Iraq right? I hear they will all be retired soon; what about the more modern V's, I believe there are still about a dozen in service right?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRussian1
    The poles only deployed the old Mi-24D's to Iraq right? I hear they will all be retired soon; what about the more modern V's, I believe there are still about a dozen in service right?
    There are some rumors about a simple upgrade of the -Vs, making them all-weather capable. Main features of this upgrade would be: new communication/IFF systems, partially new avionics and new targeting systems. Some time ago Poland started talks with [SIZE=-1]Rosoboronexport on the purchase the the Ataka ATGM and GOES optoelectronic system for the upgraded Hinds, but they got stuck- because Poland wanted to carry out the upgrade works in Polish factories with cooperation of Russian engineers while Russians insisted that all works should be done at Rostvertol.[/SIZE]