Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New USAF service dress prototype uniform

Default New USAF service dress prototype uniform

Brig. Gen. Robert Allardice shows off a prototype of the Billy Mitchell heritage coat in the Pentagon on Monday, May 15, 2006. General Allardice is director of Airmen development and sustainment. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez)

Brig. Gen. Robert Allardice and Senior Master Sgt. Dana Athnos show off prototypes of the Hap Arnold heritage coat in the Pentagon on Monday, May 15, 2006. General Allardice is director of Airmen development and sustainment and Sergeant Athnos is a member of the Air Force uniform board. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez)

Senior Master Sgt. Dana Athnos shows off a prototype of the Hap Arnold heritage coat in the Pentagon on Monday, May 15, 2006. Sergeant Athnos is a member of the Air Force uniform board. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez)

Senior Master Sgt. Dana Athnos shows off a prototype of the Billy Mitchell heritage coat in the Pentagon on Monday, May 15, 2006. Sergeant Athnos is a member of the Air Force uniform board. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez)

Brig. Gen. Robert Allardice and Senior Master Sgt. Dana Athnos show off prototypes of the Billy Mitchell heritage coat in the Pentagon on Monday, May 15, 2006. General Allardice is director of Airmen development and sustainment and Sergeant Athnos is a member of the Air Force uniform board. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez)

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123020472
    Whoa...I mean, the AF has been hating their pocketless, 3-button service coat for awhile now, but these are some drastic changes. Hopefully they actually listen to airmen's opinions (luckily they did that with the new BDU and narrowly avoided the blue tiger-*****e disaster). Thankfully these are prototypes only, the "Arnold" one looks a little too RAF, and I'm not digging the belt. It should have a more formal look. The "Mitchell" one screams USMC with that stiff collar. It doesn't look right on the woman. The fabric looks too bunchy. Even Marine females dress blues has an open collar. They keep talking about "air force history" when mentioning the inspiration for these uniforms, but they seem to forget that airmen pioneered the open collar, with a shirt and tie. They found the button-up jackets and stiff collars too restrictive for flight operations. I say just give us back our old jacket, four pockets and four buttons, and call it good.

I kind of like the Billy Mitchell style, but then again I remember I'll have to wear these for a long time at formal events and parades where having a tight collar wouldn't be the best thing to have at the time.

Wow, those are something for sure. The pockets look like a throw back to one of the older styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dronetek
    Wow, those are something for sure. The pockets look like a throw back to one of the older styles.
    That's because they are the older styles.
    Pershing:

Even if they are based on the older design I still think they look good. Something a little different.

I like this better then there new tiger *****ed camies....

If they want to go back to thier roots they should wear a modified version of whatever the Army is wearing at the time. We came from the Army after all and we wore a service dress that resembled the Army with the exception of the color.

Just wish they would spend this money on something else. Like more roach coaches for the flightline or air conditioned coveralls for the mechanics. We already get a hard enough time from the other branches because we are Air Force, now they can point and laugh.

Oh well. Just glad I don't have to worry about wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho
    Hopefully they actually listen to airmen's opinions (luckily they did that with the new BDU and narrowly avoided the blue tiger-*****e disaster)
    HA! HA! HA!

does the hot ass MSG come with the uni?

Wannabe Marines.

Going back to their roots by imitating Marine Dress Blues?

I know the Corps has the best looking dress uniforms, but dressing an airman up as a Marine doesn't make him a Marine. The Air Force already copied the digital cammies. Is it working yet?

This one looks decent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel25:17
    Wannabe Marines.

Who doesn't want to be a Marine? They get to kill stuff...

Milo Drinker of Death

I quite like the look of the Billy Mitchell uniform, although as mentioned it does look like the USMC dress uniform.

I reckon if they went with the old school look, they should go whole hog and issue the leather belt and shoulder strap thingie, rather than that nasty cloth belt.....then they'd look the business.

OR, they could go with a an off the rack basic "IBM blue" suit and casual "Hawaiian-shirt" Fridays...it IS the Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by JTAR7242
    Going back to their roots by imitating Marine Dress Blues?

I know the Corps has the best looking dress uniforms, but dressing an airman up as a Marine doesn't make him a Marine. The Air Force already copied the digital cammies. Is it working yet?
    We have airmen pulling convoy security and driving the gauntlet with the rest of you crunchies. Does that count?

Note, above statement was not meant to instill a flame war. Just making a statement in defense of my fellow bluesuiters.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

God I wish the Army would get new dress uniforms. At least a new color.