Page 165 of 178 FirstFirst ... 65115155157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2664

Thread: Boots Boots Boots... 62 boot threads in one

I still have a pair of leather Scarpas that I bought 25 years ago. They've been resoled a couple of times and to be honest I wear fabric boots more now, but they get an outing every winter. Equally, my ice boots were always either Koflachs or Asolos - and the latter were far better. I've worn fabric Asolos ever since my KSBs died in the early 90s.

Merrells are light and comfy, but they're the equivalent of Magnums - they fall apart after any real use.

As to ankle support, I disagree with you totally Taco. I've broken both ankles and the only footwear I own that doesn't have a degree of ankle support is my Asics trainers - and if someone made decent running shoes as a low boot I'd probably get rid of them too.

How did you break your ankles?

Hitting the ground too hard. Both after an air steal and one with a lead fall where my gear unzipped.

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    The hate on magnums in this thread is bad...I had black pair back in the day that were solid.
    You should take them back to the company, they'll be wanting to know how they bolted those ones together, they've totally cocked up every other pair I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoDelRio View Post
    I think ruckmarching on tarmac does a TON of damage compared to cross-country rucking/tabbing. I can carry a very heavy pack for say 15 miles in the mountains and feel OK, but 15 miles on a tarmac road and my feet feel like they've been hit with hammers.
    Can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Hitting the ground too hard. Both after an air steal and one with a lead fall where my gear unzipped.
    That sucks. Did it ever heal back 'right', know what I mean? Seems when ankles break, they don't get back to 100% once they've healed.

I noticed a long time ago that when I stopped wearing boots with ankle support/high top/whatnot, I stopped rolling my ankles. Obviously more a civilian application than military.

Tis bed time. Seeya guys later. Cheers

I served for another 15 years and I can still run, so kind of I guess. The one I broke twice tends to ache more than the rest of me when I'm fatigued and in extreme cold.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy - I look at my most serious injuries as luck - things could have been a lot worse....

Milo Drinker of Death

Ouch! My first two jumps had me landing on the runway......thank god I got lucky with both and didn't bounce or get dragged.

I'm cool with rucking on asphalt....as long as I'm not wearing J Boots....anything but J boots on asphalt or thick shingle......I'd rather walk 50km on asphalt than 25km on thick shingle......

I ordered a pair of Lowa Uplander GTX's from rvops (can't be found in Belgium) so I'm looking forward to wearing them. I hope they'll be a good light/quick alternative to my Lowa Combat GTX's during spring/summer. By the way, having boots shipped in from the UK is still TONS cheaper than buying them in Belgium!

Does anyone have Danner Rivots...I don't want to splurge the $200 bucks if I buy them online...$30 maybe even $40 less at AAFES.

I served for another 15 years and I can still run, so kind of I guess. The one I broke twice tends to ache more than the rest of me when I'm fatigued and in extreme cold.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy - I look at my most serious injuries as luck - things could have been a lot worse....
    True... I know what you mean there.

James, for sure. I have been lucky enough to be ankle-injury free so it's never been an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by digrar View Post
    You should take them back to the company, they'll be wanting to know how they bolted those ones together, they've totally cocked up every other pair I've ever seen.
    Everyone i know that ever bought a pair of Magnum boots had to return them.

I even had a pair of their Duty shoes (dress-shoe type with a composite safety-toe) where the soles came loose so they were just hanging on at the toes and the rest was flopping around below the shoe. Those shoes never even saw hard use, i used them while i had a job onboard a cruiseship.

Magnum Boots are total garbage.

On the other side of things my Meindl Sweden i bought in the mid nineties are still in basically perfect condition.

You get what you pay for i guess.

Out this week wearing the Merrell Sawtooth boots in zero degree weather........love them....comfortable and my feet stayed warm.

Anyone that can recommend a pair of boots for general hiking?

I've used Ecco boots and shoes since the late 90's, mostly Ecco Track, Ecco Expedition and Ecco Expedition Lite from their outdoors series, but the last two years the quality of their outsoles have seemingly changed. I grind through them in 3 months and grind through the midsole after 6. I walk about 10 km to and from work every day, so they do get some wear and tear, but the 3 month durability is starting to get on my nerves. The fit is amazing, comfort too, durability of the remaining parts of the boots/shoes are fine, but the outsoles simply vanish.

Used the Ecco Track while in the Airforce for about 2 years without much fuss, and the outsole was replaceable back then, but with the newer versions you cant.

I've been looking at the Lowa brand, and they get fairly decent comments both here and on the glorious internet, but I am not able to find much information about their outsoles and how well they last. I dont mind replacing the outsole one bit, as long as it isnt every 3 months. Am not made of gold unfortunately.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    The Nike's are a sweet Garrison boot...I've saw so many people with them starting in like October...I was surprised so many people had them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kap View Post
    No one had them where I was, other than me and my section sgt. (I gave her a pair for her b-day last year) She still wears them, said they were the most comfortable boot she has ever worn.
    My jaw just dropped. 15.9 oz?! I was looking at the Danner Kinetics, which I thought were light at 51 oz. Might have to opt for these SFBs. Any good for ruck marches?

I've done rucks in them...no ankle support and through heavy use they wear out like a running shoe. I've looking at getting some Danner Rivots...I also have the Rocky C4Ts which I like better than the SFBs but they don't have the treat the SFB does.