Page 97 of 304 FirstFirst ... 47878990919293949596979899100101102103104105107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 4553

Thread: Gripen News Thread

The new Swiss Chief of the Armed Forces, André Blattmann, says he wants to buy new jets despite budget worries.

http://www.avionews.com/index.php?co...ante=index.php

Military Aviation
    05:35 pm - Friday
    Switzerland: more planes for Country's defence
    Berne, Switzerland - This was the declaration of the new Army commander-in-chief
    (WAPA) - André Blattman, Swiss Army commander-in-chief since March 1st, surprisingly stated in an interview for "Drs", Swiss-German radio station, that the Swiss Air Force needs reinforcements. Despite the crisis, he precised, it is not possible to save on combat aircraft "Because it is always necessary to be ready for anything. Clearly our 33 F/A-18s are not enough to secure our air space".

A surprising declaration because it comes from one of the highest military officers of a traditionally non-belligerent country, highlighting an inversion in Swiss government's policy of reducing the air fleet to the minimum, even if it will be renewed substituting the aging F-5R Tiger II with modern fighters. Competing in the tender are the Gripen (Saab), the Rafale (Dassault) and the Eurofighter (Eads).

New conditions also for army soldiers: Blattman wants to strengthen discipline among his troops, even when the soldiers have their time-off or are at home. Military police controls have to be intensified on trains, in cooperation with the railways, in order to prevent soldiers from going around drunk or under drug effects. (Avionews)

20min.ch

----

Goggles making a big difference

NVG article on Gripen.com

---
    Last edited by signatory; 03-06-2009 at 02:13 PM.

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]Goggles making a big difference[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Swedish Air Force combat pilots are now equipped with advanced night vision goggles and there is nothing to be afraid of in the dark for the pilots of 212 Fighter Squadron.

"Your first NVG flight is still an attention-getting experience. “I realise that I really was blind when I flew in the dark before now without goggles,” said one SAF pilot training for Cold Response.

2009-03-06 |
    Preparations for Exercise Cold Response, to be held in Norway later in March, have seen the operational debut of night vision goggles (NVGs) with front-line Swedish Air Force (SAF) units. The arrival of the new system has been long-awaited by Squadron Commander Carl-Johan Edström. The use of NVGs brings particular benefits for operations in the short days of the Nordic winter.

“NVGs allow us to make much better use of the dark hours of the day. Their long-term effect on flight operations will be profound” says Edström, and there are many other benefits too.

Detect and identify other aircraft earlier
    “When using NVGs we have found that pilots can detect and identify other aircraft much earlier and over longer distances than in daylight. This is a function of the unique way NVGs gather and use the available light. It makes a big difference when undertaking close air support at night. Thanks to the NVGs a Forward Air Controller can direct air strikes using a laser beam to pinpoint the target – that beam is only visible through the image intensifiers of the NVGs.”

Proven technology
    Flying with NVGs is nothing new, and SAF aircraft like the Viggen and Sk 60 were doing it more than 20 years ago. Now the latest feature on Gripen, which adds a purpose-built NVG compatible cockpit, provides for seamless NVG integration and operations.

“The lighting for every switch, button and display in the cockpit has been specially designed to be clear and uncluttered at all times when viewed through the NVGs,” says Carl-Johan Edström.

Careful integration
    Integrating the new NVGs was a three-year process which involved a team of five test pilots working under Swedish Defence Materiel Administration (FMV) leadership. Flights started in Vidsel, Sweden, with a modified Saab Sk 60A and a year later the NVG-capable trainer was transferred to F21 Wing, where pilots started to prepare for the transition to NVG operations on Gripen.

A darkness unique
    To get the best results from NVGs requires a total darkness of the kind that, in Europe at least, is found almost only in northern Sweden. The long winter dark period there, from October to March, could permit many other air forces to come and practise their NVG operations. Across the rest of Europe the light from urban areas means it never becomes truly dark. While they may appear to be dark to us, dawn and twilight hours are too bright to permit proper NVG use, so they further shorten the time available to train with, and master, this key operational capability.

Notes one Swedish pilot, “The sun must be a full 12 degrees below the horizon before you can really say it’s dark out there.”

Source: http://www.gripen.com/en/MediaRelati...difference.htm

Banned user

Interview of Saab at Aero India 09 by BR member K Prasad

[SIZE=5]Saab Gripen for the MMRCA: AI qns

[/SIZE]1. The Swedes were extremely courteous and patient, transferring me to the right person, even if they had to be pulled out of meetings.

2. Reason for Absence:

The guy said, "We're different from the other contenders... so we wanted to show that". We brought 3 last time. This time, we didn't bring.

Anyway, the real reason they didn't bring a Gripen is because they are getting the prototypes ready for the trials, and didn't want to risk bringing them here and suffering faults. Additionally, they said that it is a very short timeline from RFP submission to start of trials, so they were working at double pace to get the components tested. Swedish AF gripens couldnt be spared for the show either.

3. Level of ToT:

100%...unequivocal. The lady in charge of the deal said that that was the level of ToT mentioned in the RFP, and they had to follow it. I asked how they could do that if some of the components were not swedish... what she said is that they do hold certain amount of IPR for a certain period of time. However, the US govt would have to give permission for the ToT. When asked how this would be possible given that US aircraft are also in the fray, the reply was that they would have to see...

Then, there was a slightly long reply to this stating that they could have tried to put in a new engine and non-american stuff, but given the shortage of time, they decided to let it remain, and not take any new risks.

4. The Independent choice??

Given that this was the tagline under which they were (extensively) selling the gripen, how could it be the independent choice if there were american and other components in the type on offer. The reply was that sweden would have control of these, and given that it was not a consortium, IPR and ToT would be extremely simple.

5. Weather:

Would Gripen not reduce its performance in terms of hot and humid performance in india as compared to cold and relatively lower altitudes in sweden??

The answer was that both the Thais and the South Africans were using Gripens, and had found no issues. However, the high altitude landing and takeoff performance would need to be seen...

At this point, I pointed out that given that MMRCA was replacing the strike aircraft, and would need to carry heavy payload at high altitudes, would Gripen be able to handle it? The answer was not very sure, but it was that the plane would meet the RFP standards.

6. Weapons fit:

OK... re this bit, the MRCA gripen would be offered with the complete weapons suite that Sweden uses, as well as NATO and European weapons that have been tested till now.

The surest answer that i did here was from this question, regarding whether they'd have issues integrating Russian or Israeli weapons into the Gripen. The answer was that there was absolutely no issues since Sweden held the technology for the weapons fit and integration, and would give it,... they would also help us in integrating any weapons that we chose to use, including not just giving documentation, but actually taking aircraft to their factory and integrating and testing it, and giving us help in this regard. According to the person I spoke to, if it fit the pylons, they'd fit anything for us to use.

The slaving to the sensors and radars of course is slightly more tricky, but they said that given that one of the partners was Swedish and the other british, they didn't foresee too many issues.

7. Upgrade or Downgrades:

The Gripen IN would have zero Downgrades... everything including source codes and weapons codes would be given. In fact, in many respects, there are upgrades, even wrt the NG variant.

Additionally, India would have a stake in future upgrades and developments based on the numbers bought (which should give us a 50% capital stake I think).... the Swedes are very very anxious to partner with us, both in terms of cost and testing, but in terms of future JVs and joint marketing also... one of the persons I spoke to pointed out what the MKI did to Su-30 sales, and said that India would give Gripen a foothold in sales in other countries as well.

8. Cost:

As I pointed out, this was an itchy part for all other contenders as well - given the 10,4 bn $ outlay, they still aren't sure whether they can meet (rafale went so far as to say that it wont)...

The Gripen rep said, "I dont know whether we'd be able to meet the budget or not, since we don't knwo the exact budget outlay and we are still analyzing the IN aircraft, and the business model and impact on offsets, but, Let me put it this way - among all the contenders, Gripen will be by far, the most cost effective."

In relation to cost, I asked about what were the advantages that Gripen would have over the other contenders - the point was that at 4000$/flying hour, Gripen would cost less than half the cost of the other contenders, and would give extremely good performance all the same (they again reiterated that there was nowhere that they would not meet RFP standards). However, I mentioned that others could carry more weapons or fuel or sensors - they said that given the RFP methodology, and since they would meet it, they are confident. Additionally, he mentioned that Gripen was not far behind either.

9. India vs Sweden:

I asked whether the two traditions wouldn't be different, given the different sizes and oeprating doctrines. I also pointed out that India was far larger than any of the Gripen's customer countries, and would need to use Gripen for longer ranges and different roles...

The Answer was that the Gripen was suited for all these roles, and given Sweden's international commitments, they had operated Gripens for long ranges as well..... but still a doubtful answer in my mind.

10. Competition to LCA:

A common question i asked all contenders - what does Indian aerospace, esp Tejas have to gain by MMRCA going to you. To Gripen, I added the extra question of whether they were nervous about LCA Mk.2 being almost identical to Gripen IN, and thus ruining its party??

The sense I got from questioning all 4 reps about this separately was that they are indeed quite nervous about the success of LCA, especially over the past few months, and the accelerated weapons testing.... They first tried to say that LCA and Gripen are two very different aircraft in different weight classes meant for different roles, and in fact, India buying Gripen would actually help LCA. I pointed out in each case that the LCA Mk.2 would be almost the same weight as Gripen IN, with similar performance. In this case, the answer still remained the same, but with extra qualifications, such as IAF is looking at MMRCA in different role, and we fit RFP perfectly. There wasn't a direct admission that Tejas and Gripen are the same, but I got close to getting one. The sense was the same.

Coming to how LCA can gain from Gripen, they siad that they are giving full experience with weapons testing, etc, and if selected, they can definitely partner in engine integration - he pointed out that they also tested from F404 to 414, and had all the expertise in taht area and would not hold anything back. Additionally, they also pointed out that the two programs were similar - small, flagship programs for the two nations. Hence, it was important to collaborate, etc etc etc....

11. Radar:

Will they be able to come out with an AESA on the test aircraft in time?? The Lady said that AESA is important but the present radar is also very good - tried to say that they;re not sure that IAF asked for AESA specifically (which i'm sure is wrong, from impressions gathered from FH Major and other sources). Anyway, the AESA itself is ready, and will be integrated around the time that the testing is going on, so they do hope to show at least the test aircraft to the team. However, they will show the simulator and the AESA itself.... about ToT on the AESA, she said, we'll see.

12. Offsets:

Will be followed.. they want to cut down on costs also, so offsets does make a lot of sense. 50% wouldnt be a problem.

Overall, the impression I got was that Gripen is quite confident, and they know their machine is good. However, they are worried about whether the IAF is looking for something like their aircraft, or they are just there as a filler. They are also worried about LCA and competing with it, which is why they are trying to show how Gripen is different from the Tejas. Another worry are the foreign components. They are not concerned about the performance of the aircraft.

I got some booklets for the Saab technology, and the IN brochure, which I have given to Rakall to scan and put up... look out for those for more info also.

I seem to be forgetting something here, but if i remember anything more, I'll add it.

Qns???

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/309lzpfdotjpg[/IMG]

[SIZE="4"]Czech Defence Minister Parkanova : Buy Gripens after lease period[/SIZE]
    Parkanova also added that Czech pilots are very satisfied with Gripens.

The political-financial decision on the number of jets is the big question now since they are happy with Gripens. 14 maybe 18 is required for national and European NATO assignements but if the ambition is to also do international missions the number should hit 24 - the original number from the cancelled deal in 2002.

A decision is planned during the current term.

source

Source

On a side note: The Czech military is supporting the Danish military in their new fighter jet project, hopefully putting in some good words.
    Last edited by signatory; 03-08-2009 at 04:57 PM.

What countries are closest in time on a decision to acquire new fighter jets where Gripen is involved?

Apan, might see down-selects in Switzerland, Denmark and Brazil late in the year... everything else is being crazy right now due to the financial crisis.

------

Some Photos from Aero India uploaded to gripen.com

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2mdorvldotjpg[/IMG]
    OT&E pilot showing the Simulator

^ notice a owl in the background....

[IMG]http://i44.*******.com/wiq8w2dotjpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/2r6fdsndotjpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/23mk7j8dotjpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.*******.com/8vw2ewdotjpg[/IMG]
    Eddy chatting with (LCA Tejas) flight test guys...

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2j49esjdotjpg[/IMG]
    Bob also chatting with Indian flight test guys...

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/2zpnwcjdotjpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.*******.com/29y4b5cdotjpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.*******.com/bdpezndotjpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by signatory; 03-10-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by signatory View Post
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2mdorvldotjpg[/IMG]
    OT&E pilot showing the Simulator

^ notice a owl in the background....
    HAHAHAHA....nice catch!

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/2zpnwcjdotjpg[/IMG]

Why is there 3-4 hand going towards his groin?

Any substance in the following story?

Meanwhile, a spat between France and Sweden is developing. In 2007, Saab struck a deal with Thales to provide an AESA antenna for the Gripen Demo program, to be mated with the signal processor from the JAS 39C’s Saab PS-05 MSA radar. The Thales AESA replaced the passive-scan antenna of Rafale’s RBE2.

But three things happened: Thales and Dassault were given the go-ahead to develop and produce the AESA for Rafale; Dassault has taken a large shareholding in Thales; and the Gripen NG has emerged—in India and Brazil—as a competitor to Rafale. Thales will honor the Gripen Demo contract but its AESA will not be available for a production NG.

Sweden has talked about RACR, but would prefer the PS-05/A’s “back end” modules for ease of integration and to stay away from control issues associated with U.S. components. The answer may lie with Selex, which, first as Ferranti, then as GEC-Marconi and subsequently as BAE Systems, was Sweden’s partner on the original PS-05/A.

Selex, in accordance with the philosophy of John Roulston, leader of the Captor design team, has been working on simpler, lower-cost *AESAs—in fact, its first production contract was not for a fighter radar but a retrofit to U.S. Coast Guard HC-130s. Its Vixen series of forward-looking radars, banned by the U.S. from South Korea’s F/A-50, also received a launch order from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, with the 500-module Vixen 500 to be integrated on Cessna Citations.

It’s not surprising, therefore, that Saab is in talks with Selex about using its AESA technology in the Gripen NG radar. The NG is not competing with the Typhoon except in India. It is also unlikely (as different as they are) that both aircraft would make an MMRCA short list.
    http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...AESA031009.xml

Quote Originally Posted by Herman the German View Post
    Any substance in the following story?

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...AESA031009.xml
    OK I'll try to wrap this one up in one go.

Saab said the very same day when they announced the Thales partnership for the Demo program that they would not use the Thales array for the Gripen NG. And the Thales-Demon project is contractually to be over and done with in 2010 anyway. That product is not suitable for a finished Gripen NG radar so it can't suddenly become a problem either.

The foreign arrays on the market offered to Saab today is picked for research purposes or identified for a urgent demand. I've never heard "Sweden has talked about RACR" nor has Saab spoken of using the RACR either for research or a operational product, so if Bill has heard something I think he should write out some kind of source. Raytheon has otoh said (at Paris airshow) that they would like to offer it to Gripen customers.. so that might be where Bill got that idea from.

And the AESA cooperation with Selex is many years old and mutually government backed for a series of new products including creating a new European source for T/R modules hence nothing "new" there. Then S&AS (of Finmeccanica group and not BAE Systems as he wrote) also offered a here-and-now ready made setup for the Demo but lost for whatever reasons to Thales. I guess for financial reasons, Selex surely didnt offer governmental backing for that project. (We spend 100 MSEK on our side for this project and the French state of course finance their own [larger] side.)

There has been and is also ongoing array design work happening in Sweden under national programs (AIMT, DAA, AAT, FLYGANT, SIGANT...) for many years even before creating the world's first airborn AESA radar EriEye but atm there's little interest for a operational Gripen product of the current generation AESA technology given the azimuth scan issues.

I would say, we're probably 2-3 years away from something interesting to report about. If there is a urgent demand for current generation AESA the likely candidates is Selex and I would say Elbit as well. Saab has the choice of picking from the market in parallel to building for the future and quite frankly the exact finished product is a evolving R&D project... the Thales coop is just one of several research projects that contributes to radar development [see below for info on another demo].

So.. eh. I think for the most part that article is his own creative thoughts... and notice a complete lack of references

He might know something and Saab maybe has suddenly lost all ability to create advanced radars but for now I have not heard anything that would support his article.

----------

Saab (formerly Ericsson) Microwave Systems reports that it undertook the first flight trials of a new demonstrator radar for Gripen in September 2007.

"As far as we know, this is the first data collection from a fighter radar using multi-channel AESA technology [that] simultaneously has one receiver channel per sub-aperture," says Jonas Branzell, programme manager for airborne radar at Saab Microwave Systems. "The data received is irreplaceable with regard to development of the radars of the future and their signal-processing algorithms."

During earlier ground tests, several Gripens were used as radar targets. In addition, both airborne- and land-based jamming were tested. According to Saab, the trials gave good results in the following modes: long-range target detection and tracking; search and track in highly manoeuvrable multi-target scenarios; rapid track initiation/alert; passive detection; and multiple jammer suppression.

Saab says these flight trials have demonstrated that an AESA radar, using one channel per sub-aperture, gives better sidelobe suppression than a monopulse system. According to the company, its radar detects targets in more directions and at lower speeds than any earlier known AESA radar.
    ------------------- news ---------------------

Czech pilots training for Baltic mission
    ČTK /
    11 March 2009

Caslav/Prague, March 10 (CTK) - Czech military pilots and ground personnel are being prepared for a new foreign mission of the Czech military in the Baltic within the Apeval 2009 exercise, Caslav air base spokesman Denisa Smitalova told CTK Tuesday.

Apeval 2009, whose air force part started Tuesday and will last until Friday, is to check Czech fighters Jas-39 Gripen and other parts of the Czech air force before the Gripens will be used in the Baltic later this year.

Czech pilots will protect the air space of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, three Baltic NATO members, from the Lithuanian base in Siauliai from May to September.

"Tuesday, four Gripens, one combat aircraft L-159 Alca and one Mi-24 helicopter are trained," Smitalova said.

Cargo planes An-26 and L-410 will join the training of the operations before Friday, Smitalova said.

The war games are not only a preparation for the protection of the three countries, but also the first training of the Czech air force of this type that will be assessed according to NATO standards and requirements, she added.

"All issues will be examined so that all possible real situations that can arise during a mission are simulated," Smitalova said.

The ground part of the exercise was started on Monday.

Pilots of two Jas-39 Gripens of the Czech air force will take up the protection of the Baltic countries' airspace from Denmark on May 1.

The mission of up to 75 soldiers within the NATO integrated system NATINADS was approved by the Chamber of Deputies earlier this year. It will be the first deployment of the Czech tactical air force abroad.

Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania do not have their own fighters to protect their airspace. The mission is expected to be difficult as their relations with the neighbouring Russia are tense and Russian air force is active in the area.

The unit will be commanded by Jaroslav Mika, commander of the 211th tactical squadron.

link
    Last edited by signatory; 03-11-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added news about the CzAF

Thanks signatory.
    Today a Swedish detachment arrived in Manching/Germany, 4 Gripens plus support in a Hercules.(827,826,254,224) Any idea what they are doing down south? So far nobody knows...

---

Refueling trials

FMV will conduct Gripen refueling trials with German tankers soon.

---------
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman the German View Post
    Thanks signatory.
    Today a Swedish detachment arrived in Manching/Germany, 4 Gripens plus support in a Hercules.(827,826,254,224) Any idea what they are doing down south? So far nobody knows...
    It looks like they're practicing AAR.

Here's a good picture of Gripen Pilots NVGs
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

[IMG]http://i44.*******.com/15dkklzdotjpg[/IMG]

Photo from RTAF visit at F7 Skaraborg during the 4-week preparation course.

4 Thai engineers and 2 translators talked about training, culture and so on.

link

---

New date: The Danish defense delegation will perhaps visit the Saab factory on the 29th of April instead..

WOW thank for the pic!!!