Thread: A walk in the park,...the Tirpitz-park

Default A walk in the park,...the Tirpitz-park

Today I decided to go for a walk in the park. Not just any park, but maybe one of the smallest parks in the world, namely the Tirpitz-park.

It is situated on Håkøya, a small island just a few kilometers from Tromsø. Just outside of that small island (30 meters to be exact) the battleship Tirpitz was sunk by RAF in November 1944.

Not the largest park in the world, but the sign say "park" so I belive it

I am not sure who made that park, the man who has his farm there, or German veterans. Seems like I need to find that out.

Someone is making an effort to keep the place nice and tidy, decorated with flowers

]

In the background one can see the box were the guestbook is kept for visitors to sign in

The guestbook

Everytime the guestbook has been filled, it is being given to the Tirpitz-museum in Tromsø for safe keeping. The first entries in this book was made in spring 2006.

The guestbook is signed by not only German veterans, but also civilian witnesses that saw the whole operation aswell as schoolclasses on field-trips

The memorial is made out of steel from Tirpitz itself

Seems like some British veterans have been here aswell

The remains of the dock on the photo is just were the Tirpitz was sunk. It was used when they scraped the ship after the war

A few hundred meters away are two craters made by the bombs that missed the Tirpitz. The brits used some special bombs called "Tall Boy" to be able to knock out the ship

The plaque
    Last edited by Ichhabe; 06-29-2006 at 04:41 PM.

Nice post Ichhabe!

A huge cloud rises from a direct hit on Germany's last battleship, the Tirpitz, by Baracuda bombers of the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm in Altenfjord, Norway, April 3, 1944. The Tirpitz, sister ship of the Bismarck, has been trapped in the Altenfjord for most of the war. (AP Photo/British Official Photo)

Great photos and thread Ichhabe, very nice field camp and interesting research.

Reading it I feel as looking the WWII week on the Historic Channel. Don´t forget to send them your curriculum

Yes...........very interesting.....thx

Poor Tirpitz copped a lot, the Brits tried for 3 years to sink it, they ended up sending an armada of bombers carrying Tall-Boys, many of which missed, but a couple hit and exploded the ammo magazines, 1000 crew died (all?) and it rolled over (Poseidon-style)

Pity they wrecked it, being the Bismarck's sister-ship it has a lot of legacy...

I was there this weekend. Nice to visit the site.

Some metal parts on the beach. Dont know if it is from Tirpitz.
    Last edited by NixXxoN; 10-26-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wackywheelz View Post
    Poor Tirpitz copped a lot, the Brits tried for 3 years to sink it, they ended up sending an armada of bombers carrying Tall-Boys, many of which missed, but a couple hit and exploded the ammo magazines, 1000 crew died (all?) and it rolled over (Poseidon-style)

Pity they wrecked it, being the Bismarck's sister-ship it has a lot of legacy...
    The guy that bought the wreck from the Norwegian govt. after the war (in return for dismantling it and tidy up the place) earned a fortune from scrap metal from Tirpitz. He also bought the right to salvage/earn profit from most other WW-2 wrecks in Norwegian waters.
    Incidentaly if you happen to walk over a piece of steel functioning as a temporary roadway/pavement on construction/maintenance digs in any Norwegian town, you walk on a piece of history, as most of those plates come from the wreck of Tirpitz.
    The maintenance of and flowers on the memorial I guess is payed for by the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V.

Thanks for the interesting post. Im glad the men who died are remembered in this way. Spent a few weeks working near Tromso a few years ago, never realised the Tirpitz' resting place was so close, pity. Maybe I will get back some time.

Thank you for the post!