Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Archive Thread 3- Pig Hunting

Default Archive Thread 3- Pig Hunting

I'm going hunting for wild hogs tommorow evening to stalk and set in.

I'm bringing my Winchester .284 semi auto (iron sights)

It will be my first time going for this type of game. Anyone have any suggestions/tips for stalking or anything else?

Thanks

I heard they like to be pet.

Ask A_Dawg or Hellfish6, they know alot about stalking.

hahahahahhahahaha. Macs, you crazy German.

Yes. Wear a big hat with pictures of all sorts of tropical fruit on it, aim and pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Macs
    Ask A_Dawg or Hellfish6, they know alot about stalking.
    Well played.

Bring a big knife mate. Yes, how very Australian of me to say, but im serious. They are dangerous bastards.

Serious, a large caliber semi-automatic sidearm is in order for close quarters ..
    Have fun, leave the shotgun at home.

Wild pigs are bad ass. Barring a knife or sidearm, be sure to locate a nice tree to climb if you only manage to piss one off.

They can be dangerous, they can mess you up...

Take care mate.

make sure, im talkin absolutely sure you get a good hit the first shot, those things are ORNERY AS HELL, if you dont take em down first shot, they'll be on you like white on rice, take a .357 with you in case your first shot doesnt get it cause thats the only other thing thats gonna stop one, and if you gotta use a knife, well then hell, just climb a tree and wait for to get a good shot, .357, .454, something like that, .44, whatever, something big and powerful.

1*

Quote Originally Posted by AFJROTC55
    make sure, im talkin absolutely sure you get a good hit the first shot, those things are ORNERY AS HELL, if you dont take em down first shot, they'll be on you like white on rice, take a .357 with you in case your first shot doesnt get it cause thats the only other thing thats gonna stop one, and if you gotta use a knife, well then hell, just climb a tree and wait for to get a good shot, .357, .454, something like that, .44, whatever, something big and powerful.

1*
    screw a 357,take a new S&W .500 mag.

The only pistol I've got is a .45 M1911A1. I guess Ill bring it. Thanks for the advice guys.

The hunter I know always takes a pistol with him when he hunts those wild boars.

I both bow and lance hunt most types of big N. American game including Bear, Deer, Boar, etc. and have taken a few Russian Boar and Feral Hogs with each. You say wild pigs, so I assume you mean Feral Hogs, not Javelina or Russian Boar.....That can be a plus in that they may be more accustomed to humans, yet a negative in that that also may mean they're wiser to them.

Now most of my hunting puts me to within 30 yards to 5 feet if a lance, yet the same principals will apply just with less patience required.

First off, wind direction, how it rises and falls in the morning and evening, and how the contours of the land cause it to swirl and alter is 80% of the battle. A game animal can pinpoint you out of sight and even range you by scent....Think of it as a cone, the closer to the center vs. the edge the stronger the scent. So it is IMPERATIVE you plan your hunt to be downwind of the game. That even includes the paths you take to get to them, as if it crosses a path they may take, they'll find your path, and then it's over.

Sound would be next, call it 10%....Stagger your steps, as most animals if you really watch don't walk in a steady rhythm....If you make a loud noise like breaking a branch, stop, freeze, don't move at all and look JUST with your eyes, give it 5 minutes, and be sure you've not drawn attention to yourself by the sound.

Sight.......Now this will sound nuts but is true, a "prey animal" can tell when a "predator" is hunting by its walk......Be casual when getting to your spot, walk normally, don't pause or glare at at another animal if you see it just keep walking. A good example of this is when you see wolves loping past deer...The deer just glance up yet go back to eating, because they can tell the wolf isn't hunting. Yet if the wolf pauses, or hunkers down they bolt...Posture tells a lot.

Once on the hunt, don't walk and walk looking all around....Move slowly, maybe only 20 yards at a time, pause only next to objects that break up your outline and then very slowly look around......You're using a gun so you'll have a bit of range, yet even when I'm hunting with a bow I look out far, yet check close as well as many animals will freeze and simply let you pass some even within 20'.

Stay to the side of hills don't walk the ridge, peek over them and take your time looking....Often it's the twitch of an ear that will give a game animal away, not seeing it fully. Once you spot the motion the rest will come into focus............Plan on Hogs being in low area's, wet area's a plus. Also, it would be great if you could learn the area, so you'll know where their food sources are and travel habits. Like humans, they will tend to follow "paths of least resistance", till they want to escape then the denser the cover the better.

Plan on due to the heat finding them moving about early morning or late in the day.....and plan on them lingering in cooler dense area's between times.

Hunting any game could take pages of text, and no amount of explaining it makes for a magic bullet.......It takes doing it. However, think "wind, you being still and unmoving (including turning your head and raising your gun), and keeping yourself in cover including shadow and light.......yet most of all, focused patience".

As to a "back up weapon"?.......Blah.....Even with bear the best back up I have is a machete, animals, almost all in this world run from humans....How bout making your first shot count instead.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

Shoot your friends and feed them to the pigs.