Page 1910 of 1910 FirstFirst ... 9101410181018601900190219031904190519061907190819091910
Results 28,636 to 28,646 of 28646

Thread: What is the last movie you watched

The Outlaw Josey Wales, my favorite western. if you haven't seen it you are missing out

looking, thinking: lifes too short to dance with fat chicks

a walk amongst the tombstones.......another liam neeson ex-cop-alcohlic-change-career type film......

still good though. would definately watch it again

The Prestige. 8/10

Batman, Wolverine and the Black Widow pretending to be wizards.

Also, the movie gives you a clue on what happened to Tesla when he "disappeared": he created a business specialized in cats and hats.

A Million Ways to Die in the West - A truly, truly crappy movie with great cinematography.

Quote Originally Posted by TG211 View Post
    Gone Girl : 10/10. I rarely give tens. The whole movie is a spoiler to speak of, so I'll just stay on the cinematography : David Fincher delivers a great movie, the actors were good, and even Affleck ! There were moments I was "OMGWTF !!!"
    Although I don't recommend to watch it with your lady. And I made a huge mistake bringing not one but two (girl)friends to this movie .
    We got out of theatre halfway through, it was too heavy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hildemel View Post
    In terms of Tank warfare, 600 metres may as well be right on top of you. Even at 2000m missing a target is uncommon, and we used targets smaller than actual tanks.

Well as an ex-Tanker a lot seemed to be pretty well done, in my opinion, in terms of tank use for the time period. We have of course have to figure in that tank warfare has advanced and some things have changed since those times.
    Fighting with, and deploying MBT style (meaning a single turret, with a main gun on a turret that traversed 360 degrees) tanks, was relatively new at the time. WW2 was the birth of modern tank warfare, I think.
    Of course 600m was a Long shot during much of the Normandy Bocage fighting. I would think going through German Villages in 45 would be under similar ranges and to German advantage as usually providing the frontal armor only to advancing enemy

Quote Originally Posted by c2pancrazi View Post
    Fury: I'm giving it a 9/10
    Reason: kept it more realistic than most Hollywood war adaptations.
    Defiantly a great watch, with a redeeming role by Shia Labeouf, gritty action, some nice historical touches, and the great use of God as the reason for Hollywoodized luckiness.

but the tracers were a little overboard.
    I have not seen yet...but
    talked to a friend who saw Fury yesterday, he is a combat vet of VN and he thought it was great, but warned me it is not a movie John Wayne would have been part of due to the severe anti-heroics of US soldiers,.......

I also read some online reviews. They said much the same as my note above, plus it had all the usual WWII movie plot points:

1. German officer shot off of horse
    2. FNG clerk typist thrown in with bunch of salty old combat vets, FNG forced to become part of the close knit team
    3. female/semi romantic part that is too long and drawn out
    4. US soldiers in tank surrounded by hundreds of SS soldiers must fight their way out

the redeeming parts: the only surviving running example of a Tiger tank supposedly used in the filming, along with several authentic Sherman tanks with late war tubes. unsure about the reality of the minor details like uniforms, weapons, insignia, helmets, lingo, etc.

I would like to see the movie as I knew two WWII combat vets, both survived the Battle of the Bulge, one was Col. Jimmie Leach of Patton's command, the other man was a tank driver of a Sherman I met in 1968 and worked with, who told me many war stories that stood my hair up.

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    I have not seen yet...but
    talked to a friend who saw Fury yesterday, he is a combat vet of VN and he thought it was great, but warned me it is not a movie John Wayne would have been part of due to the severe anti-heroics of US soldiers,.......

I also read some online reviews. They said much the same as my note above, plus it had all the usual WWII movie plot points:

1. German officer shot off of horse
    2. FNG clerk typist thrown in with bunch of salty old combat vets, FNG forced to become part of the close knit team
    4. US soldiers in tank surrounded by hundreds of SS soldiers must fight their way out

the redeeming parts: the only surviving running example of a Tiger tank supposedly used in the filming, along with several authentic Sherman tanks with late war tubes. unsure about the reality of the minor details like uniforms, weapons, insignia, helmets, lingo, etc.

I would like to see the movie as I knew two WWII combat vets, both survived the Battle of the Bulge, one was Col. Jimmie Leach of Patton's command, the other man was a tank driver of a Sherman I met in 1968 and worked with, who told me many war stories that stood my hair up.
    Apparently the director examined thousands of war time pictures to get all the details right such as Uniforms, damage effects, various ways and places ammo cans & other items were strapped down or stored, and also had Vets come and walk them through tank stuff on set.

The anti-heroics part was put there to show the viewer that war is ugly, even the most morally right wars can be character corrupting.

Even with the anti-heroics there were scenes and actions that showed humanity prevailed under the blood stained skin of some.

Quote Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
    Although I don't recommend to watch it with your lady. And I made a huge mistake bringing not one but two (girl)friends to this movie .
    I agree... I went with my GF... Speaking of our discussion after the movie would be spoilerish.

That Polish plonker, trying to hide from the mods StormzSTA's Avatar

A most wanted man

Solid, 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
    Yeah well, my lady friend and I had an argument and sort of made up literally right before the movie started. I jokingly told her after the movie to not get any ideas. She didn't find it amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    It was really only just one scene. But it was an uncomfortably drawn-out scene for more reasons than just that.