Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dozens of border guards walk off job in B.C. (Canadian border patrol afraid of U.S. m

Default Dozens of border guards walk off job in B.C. (Canadian border patrol afraid of U.S. m

VANCOUVER — Dozens of federal border guards at several Canada-U.S. crossings in B.C. walked off the job on Sunday, creating lengthy waits to get into Canada.

About 60 guards with the Canada Border Services Agency left their posts at four crossings in the Lower Mainland because of what they claimed to be a threat to their personal security.

An official with the Canada Border Services Agency said the action by the guards occurred after Homeland Security officials in the U.S. told the RCMP that a suspected killer from California, who should be considered armed and dangerous, might try to cross the Canadian border.

“Originally that information was sent to the Huntington [border crossing] but all four border crossing have exercised their right to refuse work,” said Faith St. John.

She said the Huntington border was closed for about two hours Sunday causing major traffic delays shortly after 2 p.m. when the employees walked off the job.

“Management staff has been called in to take over their duties but we only have a limited number of lanes open that is resulting in long lineups,” said Ms. St. John.

Canada's border guards are currently unarmed and have the right to walk off the job if they believe they are in danger. The guards exercised that right.

Ms. St. John said Human Resources and Social Development Canada had been called in to assess whether the work environment is dangerous.

“Once they make their decision then we will see the appropriate action,” she said.

She said operations could be back to normal by Monday if the officers find there is no threat to workers.

Some motorists faced a wait up more than three hours.

The Conservative government has promised a 10-year program to arm the guards.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

The Conservative government has promised a 10-year program to arm the guards.

Russian border guards patrol the Tajik-Afghan border near the village of Pyanj. Russia has said it might send paratroops to Tajikistan in a defensive role along the border. (AFP)

Russian border guards patrol the Tajik-Afghan boundary, the 750-mile length of which has remained sealed. (*******)

Russian Border Guards on border patrol

Huh, unarmed border guards, what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by GoNavy View Post
    Canadian border guards have never beed armed (in recent times anyway).

Well, its border guards in BC that whine all the time, I guess they want to hide behind a gun rather then beating the **** outta someone.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNavy View Post
    From Wikipedia:

"The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)...was created on December 12, 2003, amalgamating Canada Customs (from the legacy Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) with border and enforcement personnel from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)."

At this point in time they are not carrying sidearms. (They carry OC spray/collapsible batons/handcuffs).

Prior to the amalgamation, Canada Customs was responsible for searching vehicles (trucks/cars/planes/ships/boats) entering Canada.
    For the most part, the inspections were revenue/taxation based.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswat View Post
    Well, its border guards in BC that whine all the time, I guess they want to hide behind a gun rather then beating the **** outta someone.

With the border issues of today, well armed criminals are a bigger issue than in the past. I think their concerns are legitimate. To modify a old statement, "don't bring a knife to a gun fight", I would say don't show up to a gunfight with just your fists".

They arent border guards then, they are boarder 'watchers'?

Why have them there at all?

So when these guys walked off the job(b/c they aren't allowed to carry guns), who is protecting Canada?

P.S. Gotta love the russians way of maintaining border integrity.

Their job seems more customs than what alot of us consider border guards.

Norway has one hell of a long coast line, and a land border with Sweden and Finland. All these are watched by unarmed customs. But the stretch we share with Russia is watched by soldiers (GSV, South Varanger Garrison) who consist of conscripted soldiers.

Ninja monkeys are meeting as we speak, plotting my demise.

repost.....

Quote Originally Posted by wiking View Post
    Their job seems more customs than what alot of us consider border guards.
    Norway has one hell of a long coast line, and a land border with Sweden and Finland. All these are watched by unarmed customs. But the stretch we share with Russia is watched by soldiers (GSV, South Varanger Garrison) who consist of conscripted soldiers.
    You compare uncomparable things. In USA each teenager has a real chance to acquire a gun and the level of criminality is serious enough. That is not the case for Sweden and Finland.

I think it's nuts that there are private security guards here in the U.S. who carry more firepower to guard a ***** mall then the individuals tasked to control entry into Canada and stand as it's first line of defense.

btw...I'm curious, does anyone know if there have been any Border Guards killed in the line of duty?

Correct me if I am wrong but we are not talking about a rash of shootings at the borders or anything and whenever I have crossed the border into the U.S. or back there have always been Police around. That being said I do believe that there should be some armed guards at the borders but every guy or girl in the booth asking those listed questions and deciding if your going to get pulled over for a 'look see', I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswat View Post
    shall i start posting internet vids of armed police facing a armed suspects and with the **** hitting the fan?come on m8,i dont blame them for walking off a job,**** facing some1 poss armed with no means of defending urself.unless ure jakie chan