Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-15E+ Super Eagle

Default F-15E+ Super Eagle

‘Not your father’s Oldsmobile’: Boeing F-15E+ Super Eagle unveiled

By Guy Norris 05/10/06

New-build aircraft would cover any significant service-entry delays for F-35 JSF

Boeing has revealed details of the proposed F-15E+ “Super Eagle”, which is being offered as a “fourth-generation plus” fighter stopgap to the US Air Force in case of significant delays to the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).

The new-build proposal, expected to be offered at a target price of $59 million (2006 US dollars) versus roughly $60 million-plus for the baseline F-35, would be available in 2012-13 assuming an authority to proceed decision in 2009. “That would butt-up against when the last F-15SGs [for Singapore] come off the line,” says Boeing USAF programmes business development director, **** Banholzer. Although acknowledging the lukewarm reception the proposal has so far received from USAF chief Gen Michael Moseley, Banholzer says the F-15E+ is being offered “in the event of a catastrophic event like JSF being delayed. We have an option available to him that fits the needs of today.”

Boeing is detailing the proposed aircraft’s capabilities to underscore that the “F-15E+ is not your father’s Oldsmobile. The chief of the air force says: ‘I like F-22, F-22 and F-22’. That’s his first, second and third priority. That’s his party line and he’s got to say that. But we have to educate people to let them know what this aircraft is, and what it could do,” Banholzer says.

The F-15E+ package extends both weapons and sensor capabilities, he adds. Equipped with the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System and a yet-to-be-determined active electronically scanned array radar, the aircraft would have smart weapons carriage capability on up to 19 stations. Advanced weapons options include LJDAM, Brimstone, HSSW and an extended-range, powered small diameter bomb.

Offered with an enhanced electro-optic sensor suite including navigation and targeting pods, as well as an infrared search and track system embedded in the pylon, the Super Eagle would also have a more sophisticated self-protection suite. Comprising an emitter locating system, ALE-50 towed decoy, and AAR-57 missile warning system along with jammers, chaff-flare and radar-warning receivers, the make-over is designed to allow the Super Eagle to “survive in a modern high-threat environment”, he adds.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...per+Eagle.html

How about another option? Option c: Keep the current crop of planes
    flying without upgrade until the JSF is ready. I guess not, it wouldn't
    cost as much as a fully "upgraded" F-15E+ Super Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by the article
    "...the make-over is designed to allow the Super Eagle to “survive
    in a modern high-threat environment”, he said.
    He missed a word between high-threat and environment - budget.

Here's how it plays out to the various Congressional budget authorities...,
    "Well, the JSF is only a lousy million above the F-15E+."

I can already see the JSF being cancelled because this new Eagle covers the here and now. Who cares about the future when its so expensive?

Maybe something for Japan.. or Australia ...

Its not really needed in my armchair opinion. Better to just wait on the new planes. They be in service at the time or before the F15 upgrade will go through and until then its just a matter of picking on some more third world militaries with no airforce.

Yeah, I'm a huge Eagle fan. But I don't think it really makes sense. I doubt it would cancel the JSF program, but possibly delay and/or reduce the number of production aircraft.

Though I still say the Eagle has much better performance numbers (speed, range, etc). Avionics and software can always be upgraded.

It's old news (look at the date on it) and IIRC it's already been squashed. The the plan is to update current Eagles with AESAs. 178 C's will get the APG-63v(3) and the F-15Es will get either the APG-63v(4) or a varient of the APG-77.

Just went back and looked at the date and that could either be October 5th (today) or May 10th depending on how they write it. I'd read about this proposal several months ago though this article has a few details I hadn't noticed before notably a powered SDB.

Quote Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
    Yeah, I'm a huge Eagle fan...
    but your avatar is that of the Tomcat?

Quote Originally Posted by saigonsmuggler View Post
    but your avatar is that of the Tomcat?
    I like the Tomcat too, albiet not as much as the Eagle. Paying my respects for it's recent retirement from the fleet.

Unless they found a way to magically make the F-15 airframe not have a huge RCS, this is a poor substitute for the F-35. I don't give it much of a chance.

Indeed, even if you wrapped an Eagle in radar absorbant material, you still have the issue of a F-22 or F-35 carrying external stores. All the weapons and fuel tanks still reflect radar waves.

F-15's, F-16's, A-10's could still integrate along with F-22's and F-35's leading the way. Stealth aircraft taking dominance of the airspace (F-22 takes out fighters, F-35 take out SAM and ground threats), allowing for the non-stealth aircraft to engage targets in a lower threat environment.

Quote Originally Posted by signatory View Post
    Maybe something for Japan.. or Australia ...
    Can you please elaborate on your comment, especially the "for Australia" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Sapper View Post
    Can you please elaborate on your comment, especially the "for Australia" part.
    Because the Australian fleet can't comfortably tolerate further delays to the JSF and there's still unresolved issues surrounding weapons integration.

And if this jet delivers state-of-the art sensor and weapons integration matching JSF with stores capability for existing weapons now found on the Boeing F-18 and F-111 I would say it's a pretty good alternative. JSF is probably cheaper to operate in the long-run though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratamacue View Post
    Unless they found a way to magically make the F-15 airframe not have a huge RCS, this is a poor substitute for the F-35. I don't give it much of a chance.
    Ah yes, the "flying tennis court"

Water Curtain Cave on Flower Fruit Mountain

Lockheed's lobby vs. Boeing's lobby...place your bet.