Thread: 60 Round, 5.45x39mm, AK Magazine.

Default 60 Round, 5.45x39mm, AK Magazine.

Does anyone have any information about this magazine, I remember reading about it somewhere, but I cant find any specs on it, or pictures. It was made from black polymer, and was a quad-stack magazine from what I can remember.

Banned user
    Wishing he was in Belgrade drinking hot sljivovitza

I think RomanS knows what this is.

It's for the Russian AN-94 rifle. takes 30, 45, and new 60 round mags.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the new polymer 60 rounder. Here is a 50 rounder for an AK-47 though.

It is a quad stack magazine.. Meaning, rather then 2 rounds across, its 4. It was for the AN94 as someone mentioned..

When I played with one in Russia (I took the bottom pic), I was told only a handful were made.. That doesnt make any sense, as they are made from plastic.. Once the mold is cut, they can pump out millions..

Quote Originally Posted by stottman View Post
    It is a quad stack magazine.. Meaning, rather then 2 rounds across, its 4. It was for the AN94 as someone mentioned..

When I played with one in Russia (I took the bottom pic), I was told only a handful were made.. That doesnt make any sense, as they are made from plastic.. Once the mold is cut, they can pump out millions..
    Its mainly becuse Russia doesn't wanna spend the extra money. If it aint broke don't fix it. (their old 30 round mags work just fine) Thats my guess
    Last edited by KillerBD; 10-07-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Or maybe they suck?

I can imagine feed problems with that bottleneck creating a stoppage. But then maybe it was just a financial descision.

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire & Wodka taster for The League of Cantankerous Old Farts Jurpula's Avatar

I think it'd be kinda difficult to use as it's quite big...

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBD View Post
    Its mainly becuse Russia doesn't wanna spend the extra money. If it aint broke don't fix it. (their old 30 round mags work just fine) Thats my guess
    They have bought far less magazines then AN94s..

The mag is rather heavy when loaded.

They have bought far less magazines then AN94s..

The mag is rather heavy when loaded.
    The AN94 uses the same magazines that the AK-74 uses, they both shoot the same ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBD View Post
    The AN94 uses the same magazines that the AK-74 uses, they both shoot the same ammunition.

Yes, master of the obvious.. The quad stack was intended as the standard mag for the AN94;

If none of you guys spent the time to read the previous thread on this same topic, this is a post from Igor01 dated 03-28-2006:

A guy who does a lot of testing of various hardware for the Russian military says:

"While they were new they worked great. Now there are problems one after another - when the round is moved forward into the chamber - it turns sideways bullet up or down, skewing all the following rounds. The cause has not yet been determined. From the innovations used in the mag I can note the pretty complex feeder which consists of 3 parts. Because of its effective construction it was possible to make a mag with just one spring of a fairly simple shape and moderate strength."

He also is of the opinion that drilling mag changing routine is much more effective and useful than 60-round mags that are not as reliable as regular 30-round ones.

Taken from a Russian forum: http://vif2ne.ru/nvk/forum/0/archive/866/866397.htm

Yes, master of the obvious.. The quad stack was intended as the standard mag for the AN94;
    I was just clarifying for people who didn't know.