Thread: 1969: Ranger Class Class 12-69

Default 1969: Ranger Class Class 12-69

I was wondering if anyone here knows the exact graduaton date of this photo. It is Ranger School class 12-69.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Class 12-69

https://www-benning.army.mil/rtb/ranger/photo/12-69.jpg

Also, does anyone know the exact length of Ranger School at this time? Was it possible to start Army Basic in August, graduate Ranger School, and be on the ground in Vietnam by December of the same year?

[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Last edited by MaleInNC2007; 10-23-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Down South- on a ship - drinking beer and thawing my **** out.

Default go to

Mate, I'll recommend that you ask said question at http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42.

(when u sign up, b sure 2 fill out ur profile .)

No Worries.

Thanks! I just dropped this post there. Hopefully I can get an answer. I got a guy here saying he has 100+ combat jumps (not combat gear jumps - COMBAT jumps) and he graduated with that class (or so he says). I'm not a Ranger but I was airborne and I know there isnt one person in the history of the US Army that has that many combat jumps.

There hasnt even been 100 combat jumps in US History, isnt there only like around 10-12(WWII-Present)?

Also, wasnt it mostly NCOs and officers going to Ranger School back than, dunno how a brand new Private would get that school right out of AIT.

Quote Originally Posted by MaleInNC2007 View Post
    Thanks! I just dropped this post there. Hopefully I can get an answer. I got a guy here saying he has 100+ combat jumps (not combat gear jumps - COMBAT jumps) and he graduated with that class (or so he says). I'm not a Ranger but I was airborne and I know there isnt one person in the history of the US Army that has that many combat jumps.
    100+ COMBAT jumps?!?!?! Wow, I've heard some zingers, but wow!

Quote Originally Posted by DnA View Post
    There hasnt even been 100 combat jumps in US History, isnt there only like around 10-12(WWII-Present)?

Also, wasnt it mostly NCOs and officers going to Ranger School back than, dunno how a brand new Private would get that school right out of AIT.
    Five(?) in WWII (_______, Sicily, Normandy, Market-Garden, Rhine)
    One in Korea
    I think two in Vietnam (not sure)
    Grenada
    Panama
    Iraq (? not sure about this one- I want to say 82nd...)
    Afghanistan (75th)

I'd have to concur although I don't have the exact numbers at hand. '67 is pretty early on. There were Ranger schools going on in Vietnam at the time in question. The formal school didn't start up until about this same time. Mostly the Ranger School at Benning was turing out NCOs and Officers at first, and most of those guys were second timers.

Not sure, though. Have to look it up.

MP.Net Situational Awareness Knob of The Week 6-12 Jan 2008 AZRON's Avatar

Sounds like another poser the young Gameboy crowd falls for their BS.
    Rangers in VN were in theater trained converted or renamed from the LRP patrol companies . Commanded by NCOs and officers who had been through Ranger school as mentioned previously. It was an all volunteer org. that the army finally officially recognized and change from LRP co. to Ranger co.
    As stated no PFCs or Pvts in Ranger School in CONUS in 1969.

Be carefull you'll break the hearts of the Gameboy set if you expose him , I've seen it happen before and they don't like it.

You can verify by going to Ranger.org then read the history .

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

At the time Ranger School was 59 days. Classes are numbered by Fiscal Year (1 Oct - 30 Sep) Depending on how the training schedule was set up that class would have started sometime in May/June and ended Aug/Sep. There were no "Ranger" units to speak of in '69. There were compaines established to conduct LRRP, but they were managed by their respective divisions of brigades (in the case of separate brigades). Not until about '75 when 1/75 was activated was there a Ranger unit along the lines of Darby and the Pacific Rangers.

At the time Ranger school was a leadership school (it still is) and only officers and NCOs could volunteer to attend.

dutch 508 had the jumps mostly correct: WWII there was a drop into North Africa, and the jump into Luzon in the Pacific. Only one jump into VN and the jump in Iraq was by the 173rd ABN Bde.

Short answer: the guy's full of crap.

PS Ranger school as a school started in 1951
    Last edited by Laconian; 10-23-2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: addition

Thanks for the replies. I have some guys tracking his name down in the system to see if he even actually served.

If anyone of you know of someone who has a list of the grads of Ranger class 12-69 and can run a name check for me send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laconian View Post
    At the time Ranger School was 59 days. Classes are numbered by Fiscal Year (1 Oct - 30 Sep) Depending on how the training schedule was set up that class would have started sometime in May/June and ended Aug/Sep. There were no "Ranger" units to speak of in '69. There were compaines established to conduct LRRP, but they were managed by their respective divisions of brigades (in the case of separate brigades). Not until about '75 when 1/75 was activated was there a Ranger unit along the lines of Darby and the Pacific Rangers.

At the time Ranger school was a leadership school (it still is) and only officers and NCOs could volunteer to attend.

dutch 508 had the jumps mostly correct: WWII there was a drop into North Africa, and the jump into Luzon in the Pacific. Only one jump into VN and the jump in Iraq was by the 173rd ABN Bde.

Short answer: the guy's full of crap.

PS Ranger school as a school started in 1951
    Forgot the Pacific. Didn't the Marines do a jump in the Pacific as well (a single Battalion of Para-Marines if I recall correctly?) or was that part of the Luzon jump. I hate to admit it, my knowledge of WWII Pacific stuff is woefully lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by dutch508 View Post
    Forgot the Pacific. Didn't the Marines do a jump in the Pacific as well (a single Battalion of Para-Marines if I recall correctly?) or was that part of the Luzon jump. I hate to admit it, my knowledge of WWII Pacific stuff is woefully lacking.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramarines